What's new

P&G closing most Art of Shaving stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a combination of factors:
- on-like market replacing malls
- Gillette’s hit from poor marketing decisions created losses in the market sector
- AOS stores can’t have been making that much and are an easy trim for P&G
- changing to an on-line/big box approach trims fixed costs and allows more competitive pricing.

I do have to thank AoS for kicking my rear end and get started using a DE razor. My wife bought me an AoS starter set with preshave oil, soap, and ASB for Christmas several years back. That motivated me to go out and buy a DE razor. Before that I'd been using a cheap drugstore brush and some VDH soap paired with a cart razor. That being I've never entered one of their stores, and have never bought any follow up products from them as their prices were astronomical compared to other options. Additionally due to where I live I enter a mall about once a year or so, so the odds of my going to a mall and visiting an AoS store were slim to none.

I am sad to see them go as it definitely is a gateway visit to starting in wet shaving for many people.

I'm not too worried about loss of exposure due to the shutdown. An AoS store makes far less foot traffic than a Target, and at least in my Target, the AoS display was right off the main personal care aisle and hard to miss. I think P&G increased the number of eyeballs on AoS so much by getting it in Target that they can do without the mall stores, which for most of them probably didn't even generate enough foot traffic to pay the guy working there.

Yes, there will be a loss of personal service, but I think it's been made pretty clear that (a) Americans don't much want it, and (b) the quality of service in the mall stores was wanting.

Their products were just too expensive. Sure they're good quality but so is Arko and I paid $4 for two sticks on Amazon. You can buy high quality boutique aftershaves for $20 from companies like Sterling soap co, west coast shaving and Razo rock or you could pay $40-$50 for AoS aftershave. Just doesn't make sense to Shell out more money for AoS products when you can get something of equal quality for half the price.

Their products were just too expensive. Sure they're good quality but so is Arko and I paid $4 for two sticks on Amazon. You can buy high quality boutique aftershaves for $20 from companies like Sterling soap co, west coast shaving and Razo rock or you could pay $40-$50 for AoS aftershave. Just doesn't make sense to Shell out more money for AoS products when you can get something of equal quality for half the price.

Indeed, same can be said for Truefitt & Hill, Taylor of Old Bond St, Penhaligon's, Trumpers, D.R. Harris, Castle Forbes, etc.!!

It is not just AOS branded products that are expensive. They sell Merkur DE razors and have them marked up $20 over what you can find them for online. I was excited to see one of their stores in the mall for the first time. I was sorely disappointed when I walked in and saw that everything was so expensive. Them having boutique prices on their stuff isn't a bad thing as long as they would offer some things priced at a lower budget. Items that maybe a 20 something guy that makes $15 and hour can afford. Their marketing demographic may be the uninformed-on-prices significant other purchasing gifts for their partners. I do like going in and browsing.

Years ago my education in wet shaving was the result in no small measure expanded by an AOS sales rep at a Neiman Marcus near Richmond, VA. She addressed issues of proper use of a shave brush, introduction to creams and soaps, scents, skin preparation just to say the least. I liked their lavender scented soap and after shave but their Sandlewood and Ocean Kelp products have impressed me the most. Their products are not and have never been a "go to" for me, but I will always appreciate the time that their rep spent with me and what all I learned. It's just a shame that the economics, whatever the cause or whatever they may be, will force AOS from the market place. I'll get off my soapbox now, pour myself a proper 3 fingers and thank her for helping me along on a most interesting and enjoyable journey.

It's too bad from the perspective of our demographic. It was nice to have a brick and mortar location to go to. Some of the products were of good quality. Apart from the economics of the decision, P&G seems to have some issues to resolve on their views of men in general.

Some may disagree with me and that’s okay...

But I say good riddance!

For the majority of passers by, this was their first and only exposure to classic wet shaving. I’m afraid what they saw was sticker shock. I’ll never forget seeing on their website them selling a 34C for close to $70. It was an inexplicable markup. It’s one thing to sell your own premium product at a premium. It’s another to rip people off.

Rant over.

Some may disagree with me and that’s okay...

But I say good riddance!

For the majority of passers by, this was their first and only exposure to classic wet shaving. I’m afraid what they saw was sticker shock. I’ll never forget seeing on their website them selling a 34C for close to $70. It was an inexplicable markup. It’s one thing to sell your own premium product at a premium. It’s another to rip people off.

Rant over.

Anyone knowledgable enough to salivate over a Merkur would be knowledgeable enough to know they were being ripped off.

And it was just a bad business model. They would only lease store locations in expensive shopping malls. Easton Mall, for example, here in Columbus. So...you are in a position of having to sell enough to cover the expense of those leases AND pay a staff of employees.

Yeah. But remember, P&G didn't start the AoS stores. P&G bought that franchise from its founders. I think because it feared any threat to its grocery store multi-blade cartridge empire.

I hope they got soaked for this.

As someone said, I think they scared a lot of people off with sticker shock. They did not want to sell less expensive things since it would "dilute their brand." Marketing...

Exactly that was my whole point. As far as visibility goes for the hobby, how many people wandered in and then wandered right back out thinking “WOW! Wet shaving is way too expensive for me to get in to. I’m going to stick with my carts and foam from a can”.

They’d have to be highly and unusually motivated to go from that first experience to actually doing research to find out it can indeed be very affordable, if one so chooses.

I received one of their starter kits about 10 years ago before I ever started traditional wet shaving. It set on my shelf for some time.

A year and a half ago, I snagged some original AOS sandalwood soap on B&S and really liked it, so I finally made a visit all to the AOS store in our mall.

I was shocked at the prices. For anybody with any knowledge, the OEM badger and DEs are bound to seem way overpriced. I was disappointed to say the least.

Did P&G jack up the prices when they bought AOS or were they always ridiculously overpriced?

I received one of their starter kits about 10 years ago before I ever started traditional wet shaving. It set on my shelf for some time.

A year and a half ago, I snagged some original AOS sandalwood soap on B&S and really liked it, so I finally made a visit all to the AOS store in our mall.

I was shocked at the prices. For anybody with any knowledge, the OEM badger and DEs are bound to seem way overpriced. I was disappointed to say the least.

Did P&G jack up the prices when they bought AOS or were they always ridiculously overpriced?

AoS was never about providing a wet shaving experience.

They were about providing a LUXURY shaving experience. There is a difference between those two things.

What it was intended to mean was offering fancy software and tools to apply it, but it does not in any way assume double edge razors. It could mean that, and did, but it didn't have to. Once P&G acquired them, there was an opportunity to sell fancy upgraded Fusion handles.

No, P&G didn't jack up the price. They started out expensive. It was always supposed to be expensive. On purpose. The staff there was supposed to be selling an experience, not products.

If you are price conscious, you are not the intended market.

I have to thank them for bringing me here! It’s been a long journey, since buying that travel size kit in Sandalwood. It took me awhile, but I am here and doing it even better than my father did it. Peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom