What's new

Ozuku?

20190208_004441.jpg
20190208_004512.jpg
20190208_004523.jpg

So im trying to build my hone arsenal. Never done it but i have the bug and its going to happen. This was marked as an ozuku off da bay and its on its way. Did i score or was a fool parted from his cents? No size info. The guy has a couple for sale but no info on them either which makes me believe he either doesnt know what he has or he is being vauge on purpose. Any insight would be appreciated. I know i probably didnt give you much to work off of.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, it would be as easy to ask someone to split atoms and I don't mean that rudely at all. We're kind of all in the same boat with jnats, especially ebay jnats. You just need to test it and see how it works for you and forget who pulled out out of the ground because it's pretty much a lost cause. Even when they do have stamps, most of them are filthy lies these days...

Some stones have characteristics that could point you to a particular mine but honestly it doesn't matter. Well it does when people sell them and they increase the price just because the stone is a "Nakayama" but do you shave better off a Nakayama than a shot or an ohzuku? I dont.
As long as your stone performs great. Judging from pics is a great way to put your foot in your mouth but if it was me - yeah I would take a risk on it. It looks like it has potential.

Only one way to find out if it's any good!
I have 3 jnats only one of which is shockingly good and that was bought from a well known member .

I was hoping to buy once cry once but by ya'lls responses it seems like you have to try then out to be certain. I spent 100 bucks. Was hoping i got a good deal. Is it the same with a coti? As a newb i'll try and give an update.

Eh, for 100 it is a worthy punt. You bought it on relatively sound principles. It's rectagular, it doesn't appear to have any fissures or toxic stuff apparent. You don't really need something super hard to do a razor. The skin on the bottom is nice to have because skins matter to some people for resale.

Give it a good lapping first of all and chamfer the edges lightly. Test it with a diamond slurry. Some stones can do a heck of a lot post bevel to finish, just with that. Some cannot and will take to a Mikawa progression or a good tomo slurry better than diamond slurry. Some do all well.

400 is usually ok for lapping but when I got my super hard ohzuku from So I switched to 140 because with the 400 I would be at it for a month. I would start with 400 and see how it goes.
For slurry they say well broken in diamond plate. If you have a worn out out then yes but I wouldn't use a new 400 to raise slurry for honing.
I do use a 1200 on occasions for testing rocks.

Sorry

There is no way to tell if this is real or not. Just use it and see what you think. Honestly must Oozuku mined jnats are fakes anyway. Same goes with Mariuchi Nakayama hones.

One of the big reasons I stick with “name brand” stones.
No surprises with a Naniwa SS, Ardennes coticule, or Dan’s
Arkansas...guess I can put the recently discovered Coe Arkansas stones in this mix as well.
Suppose if I had to acquire a jnat, I’d focus on what Chef Knives to Go had available.

Top Bottom