What's new

oxtail on the bbq?

Hi there,

this is somthing i've been thinking about trying as it's quite a cheap cut of meat. i've seen recipes where you use a dutch oven but as ive only got a weber grill...

does anybody have a recipe that would work?

Thanks

James

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
We've only used it in oxtail soup. Mmmmmm! The bigger pieces comer from closer to the bum have the most flavour!
BBQing it first beforehand sounds like something I'll try come summer.

As long as you cook it on a low fire and really, really slowly it could do the trick. Oxtail is a thick muscle and needs a long time to cook.

You usually need to cook it using low heat until it falls off the bone which sort of cuts out grilling which is a fast high heat cooking style

Get a decent bottle of red wine. Cut up some aromatics (onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic) and cook them in 3-4 tbl of olive oil until the onions are clear. Then add about 1/4 of the bottle of wine and let the alcohol steep off, then add the ox tails. Add 1-2 cups of stock (veal is best but if you haven't made stock recently use a can of unsalted chicken stock). Pour in a 2 1/2 size can of diced tomatoes or a pound of fresh Roma (pealed and diced). Season with salt, pepper, basil, a couple of bay leaves (and any other favorite herb). Turn the burner down as low as it will go, put a lid on the pan, and walk away for 2-3 hours. Serve it with rice.

You usually need to cook it using low heat until it falls off the bone which sort of cuts out grilling which is a fast high heat cooking style

Not in the South American style, that's for sure (it's even a wee bit too slow for my taste, but they do it so darn good...).

I'd smoke it, braise it in beer until tender, then grill it. It's not something I've tried before but I've cooked with oxtail quite a lot and it needs VERY long cooking times. There's no reason why you couldn't smoke it or grill it up, but it will need that slow braise in liquid

I love ox tails but I never see them whole. I make stew with them. I see them for around $10 for a small package, not cheap in my book. I can get a chuck roast the size of a toilet seat for the same price!

Any hoo! Check out this link for grilled pig tails. I think the same technique would work for ox tails?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/grilled-pigs-tails.html

Or some thing like Fergus Henderson's crispy pig tails? Same idea, braise then crisp them up after tender.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516375

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've smoked and then braised a number of those tough cuts, including oxtails and tongue. Smoke them low for a few hours, and then braise or stew them for a few more (or so--"until it's done!"). You can use a crock pot, or go with a covered roasting pan in a low (210-225F) oven.

I'd hesitate to cook oxtails completely on the pit, as I don't want to lose so much of the good stuff to the bottom of the pit!

I am not sure I care about smoking oxtails. Oxtails are great and flavorful already. But tongue for sure. Wasn't tongue frequently smoked as a standard deli thing anyway? Tongue is an underrated meat to me.

Top Bottom