What's new

Overshoes/Galoshes

NEVER, EVER WEAR THESE!!!! EVER!!! DON'T EVEN THINK OF IT!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL BE WORSE FOR YOUR IMAGE - AND SELF-RESPECT THAN BEING SEEN WEARING OVER BOOTS OR WORSE YET GALOSHES!!

UNLESS YOU ARE UNDER 5 YEARS OLD THAT IS........OR OVER 75

Wear your clunkers, old shoes OR a light hiking boot of some kind. If need be, carry your good shoes in another bag and change into them at your destination. If it's that bad outside, people will understand because that is what they will be doing themselves.

Please tell us that you won't do this.......don't be a laughing stock. If you are in a situation where you must be in dress shoes I can just about guarantee you people - and your peers - won't be wearing these artifacts of the 1950's.

If your dress shoes do get wet/salt covered.....

1. Immediately wash all salt off with damp rag ASAP
2. Dry them out Slowly at home stuffed with newspaper BUT not near a hot source or radiator. Restuff with dry paper if they get too soaked.
3. Put shoe trees in them after they are dried out
4. As a preventative, spray them with a silicon spray (available at shoe stores) that are safe for leather at the beginning of the season. This will make them water-resistant.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I flunked lemming school (legend) and I am not a resident of the Province of Geekdom.

Having said that, many well dressed men in my northern city wear protection for their dress shoes and think nothing of it. It is winter in the north after all.

Secondly, if your self esteem is based on what others think, in my view, you have problems that far surpass wearing protection for your shoes.

If you have invested in fine shoes, it is only good common sense to protect them. In my view, wearing soggy shoes all day does not make good sense, is bad for your feet and certainly does not make a good impression. Which, if one actually cared, may not be good for ones self esteem.

Cheers,

Doug

Let me preface my comments by saying that I flunked lemming school (legend) and I am not a resident of the Province of Geekdom.

Having said that, many well dressed men in my northern city wear protection for their dress shoes and think nothing of it. It is winter in the north after all.

Secondly, if your self esteem is based on what others think, in my view, you have problems that far surpass wearing protection for your shoes.

If you have invested in fine shoes, it is only good common sense to protect them. In my view, wearing soggy shoes all day does not make good sense, is bad for your feet and certainly does not make a good impression. Which, if one actually cared, may not be good for ones self esteem.

Cheers,

Doug

Agree with you Doug...:thumbup: Take care of your products and they'll take care of you.

Fine shoes are great! So are vintage sports cars. I wouldn't drive either of them in sloppy weather.

Why not grab a pair of nice, ankle-high leather boots with classy lines for the worst weather, and a pair or two of something like a rubber soled, water resistant Rockport dress shoe for the days where it's just too wet to go with something nicer?

So you slum it for the day, there's no shame in that. Most modern eyes wouldn't even notice. Nobody noticed Andy Dufresne wearing those mirror-polished wing tips back to his cell. :001_smile

I wear my snow boots with the rubber tire soles for snow days. I prefer to wear Swims or something similar over my shoes than buy a pair of cheap shoes for rainy days. I work inside and only need to have my shoes covered during my morning or evening commute.

I wear my snow boots with the rubber tire soles for snow days. I prefer to wear Swims or something similar over my shoes than buy a pair of cheap shoes for rainy days. I work inside and only need to have my shoes covered during my morning or evening commute.

Ah, perfectly sensible then.

I was envisioning going out and calling on customers wearing galoshes and it wasn't working for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Fine shoes are great! So are vintage sports cars. I wouldn't drive either of them in sloppy weather.

Why not grab a pair of nice, ankle-high leather boots with classy lines for the worst weather, and a pair or two of something like a rubber soled, water resistant Rockport dress shoe for the days where it's just too wet to go with something nicer?

So you slum it for the day, there's no shame in that. Most modern eyes wouldn't even notice. Nobody noticed Andy Dufresne wearing those mirror-polished wing tips back to his cell. :001_smile

You can buy some very nice-looking dress boots (think "high-top" leather dress shoes) from various English shoemakers. You can get them with rubber soles, and if you want to waterproof them (and sacrifice a bit of shine on the leather) you have some very nice looking winter dress boots indeed. Even just polished normally, they can stand up to brief winter exposures.

Not slumming it at all!!

(... I guess that was the Rockports reference?) :001_rolle

You can buy some very nice-looking dress boots (think "high-top" leather dress shoes) from various English shoemakers. You can get them with rubber soles, and if you want to waterproof them (and sacrifice a bit of shine on the leather) you have some very nice looking winter dress boots indeed. Even just polished normally, they can stand up to brief winter exposures.

Not slumming it at all!!

(... I guess that was the Rockports reference?) :001_rolle

:thumbup1: Yep, I was referring to the Rockports, although I have to say, I have a pair for the very purpose of wearing in lousy weather and they feel like I'm wearing running shoes. I wear them infrequently, and thus they look sparkly new, as such, they don't look too bad. They don't stack up anywhere near my handmade Italian Monk-Straps, but they serve their purpose well. Also, they don't make that satisfying, purposeful "clop, clop, clop" sound while I'm striding along.

I have these in black:

http://www.shoebuy.com/rockport-ellingwood/185375/414843

Swims are the classiest and don't unshine your shoes but are pricey and work for limited exposure. Totes are cheaper but they don't make totes overboots anymore only the overshoes. As someone who lives in the NW and used to live in Chicago and upstate NY I second NEOS overboots. They make all different models, are very easy to put on of off, give great traction and protection. You do look live Frankensteins monster in them but a small price for such outstanding functionality. They fold/roll up well for car or bag. As another really hard core alternative try surplus outlets for Army galoshes-a blast from the 1950's. very effective and retro cool!!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As I am refurbishing some shoes, I am also thinking that maybe its time to invest in some galoshes. The one pair of shoes I am refurbishing definitely had issues due to salt. Several other shoes suffered at the hands of Old Man Winter as well.

After reading this thread, I am not sure if I should use SWIMS (which will then fit neatly in a plastic bag in my briefcase) or use the NEOS and get some real Fort Knox protection. But then, what to do with the Servus overshoe when I am at different locations (other than my office as they won't fit in my briefcase.)

I see Kentsee had two posts deleted by ouch. Jeez, the guy only had a total of 5 posts. :lol:

Last edited:
Really...I thought it rained more often on your side of the pond?

We have wellies for country use. In towns we British have evolved a sixth sense for navigating around puddles with our eyes closed.

As for the "nothing will be worse for your image" comment elsewhere, I beg to differ...

$A-pedestrian-walks-thorou-002.jpg

I use galoshes in the winter over dress shoes when there is enough snow on the ground to need them. Otherwise, my shoes get salt and water stains and I would need to constantly clean them. I am always surprised by people who wear good shoes out in the snow without galoshes.

Take your pick:
http://www.shoeking.ca/c0004.html

My favorite were the Acton(back when they were made in Canada) that look a lot like the Statite model in the list above.

They were easy on/off, just step into them...no hands needed, and they held in place.

Obviously, being open at the top, they are more suited for open urban areas (no trudging in knee-deep stuff).

Another reason for their existence not mentioned thus far, is to keep from dragging in slush onto floors. People who just walk in from the outside with their slush covered boots and and walk all over the office is something that simply wasn't done before, but now is common place. So, when it comes to image, I tend to see them more as respectful to others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom