What's new

Overly Critical Review: Razorock XXX

I felt the title to be fitting for how I seem to come off in my reviews. Tough cookie.

A fellow form member was gracious enough to PIF me some Razorock XXX. To him I give my thanks. :thumbup1:

Without further adieu, my overly critical review:

Scent: Smells like a hotel room. (I literally just got back from a trip and it was the FIRST thing that popped into my mind to describe the scent)

Lather: Being a soft Italian soap, loading was very easy. I used a soaked badger that I had flicked out most of the water so it was just damp. Lathered up on my face with some water just fine. The lather is creamy and about medium thickness. While I like a super cushiony lather (which this was about medium -- most people like this) it made up for it in slickness. This lather can be made thinner and still retain slickness -- I know some straight shavers like thin but slick lathers; this is it. This lather never once showed any sign of drying up on me (unlike Tabac). I even let it sit on my face for a good while to see if it would.

Performance: Protection was pretty good. Again, I like a super cushiony lather (which this is not), but it did quite well. Only a few minor trouble areas. As I stated earlier, the slickness was pretty darn impressive. A+ on that.

Post Shave: Rinses very easily off. Skin was left pretty average I would guess. It was not left dry and itchy, which is nice. I still used a balm/lotion anyway, so this is a moot point to me.

Conclusion:
Very good soap. Don't like the scent. If I found a scent I liked, I would keep it in my rotation. I'll play with this one a little while longer and then PIF it to someone else. This soap gave me a very nice shave.

The first couple of times I used it I felt that it is good but not a superior soap. The last time I used it I did better at loading and it changed my mind about it. It really is good. Slick and protective. So give a few more tries.

When I got it I did not like the scent. I am not a cologne person. But it has really grown on me.

That wasn't overly critical in my opinion. I'd actually say it was just slightly positive, and damn near glowing for those folks not concerned about scent.

A superb soap in terms of performance. But I just don't "get" the scent.

I have a feeling that one's reaction to the scent depends on what batch of it you have. Mine has the scent of powder. That's it, powder. Others claim to perceive other scents in there. Hard to figure.

I would have to agree with your review for the most part, except that I do enjoy the scent. Not sure if it was my batch or what but I definitely get a citrusy/cologne type scent which reminds me of my grandfather shaving when I would watch him as a youngin. It took me a bit of time to dial in but now that I have it figured out, it has earned a permanent spot in the rotation, no doubt about it!

Interesting. I barely detect a scent in my pre-December tub. If someone had told me it was an unscented soap I'd believe it...

I bought XXX based on being told it has a mild scent. When it arrived (December batch) there was no doubt about there being a scent. I would not classify it as mild.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Great review. I prefer candid reviews to the usual "five stars - its the greatest ever!" type reviews that I usually see.

Have you tried any other RR soaps? Performance seems to be relatively similar with different scents.

XXX threw me off at first...it smelled really citrusy and strange where I expected a cologne scent. But I kept going back to it and after I finished it, I had to buy another because the scent now reminds me of summer.

This was my first Razorock experience. The performance was good enough that I will be looking at other scents in the Razorock line for future purchases.

The ones I've tried...

Third Eye (long discontinued) was a very pleasant sandalwood type scent
P.160 smells like Cella
King Louis Lavender (might be discontinued?) is a very nice faint lavender
Christmas in Tuscany smells like VDH Deluxe with a bit of grape/wine in the mix

I too had a pre December batch of XXX which had almost no scent whatsoever. Sure it was a bad batch and all but, why was it released? Where is the quality control? I dig RR's philosophy and their soap offerings, but I've been burned by them with the XXX which had no scent, and my recent purchase of the Stallion had little scent as well, smelled just like the XXX did.

When I drop $10 and 4-5 additional dollars on shipping for a product, I expect it smell like it claims to smell. I am frustrated with RR over this because I don't expect to dig around on the forums before any purchase I make to make sure it is the "good" batch. Isn't that on the company to ensure they are providing a consistent, reliable product? I bought XXX pre-December, and IMHO I did not get XXX. I got (like many others on here got) a mistake, a under scented soap that was not fit to have the XXX sticker that was on it.

I think this is something that gets little attention on here and deserves some critical thought.

They did that with the RazoRocktober soap and sold it at a big discount. Not sure why, if there was a real issue, they wouldn't do it again.

Also, another good reason to mostly stick with established soap makers. Consistent recipes with predictable results.

I too had a pre December batch of XXX which had almost no scent whatsoever. Sure it was a bad batch and all but, why was it released? Where is the quality control? I dig RR's philosophy and their soap offerings, but I've been burned by them with the XXX which had no scent, and my recent purchase of the Stallion had little scent as well, smelled just like the XXX did.

When I drop $10 and 4-5 additional dollars on shipping for a product, I expect it smell like it claims to smell. I am frustrated with RR over this because I don't expect to dig around on the forums before any purchase I make to make sure it is the "good" batch. Isn't that on the company to ensure they are providing a consistent, reliable product? I bought XXX pre-December, and IMHO I did not get XXX. I got (like many others on here got) a mistake, a under scented soap that was not fit to have the XXX sticker that was on it.

I think this is something that gets little attention on here and deserves some critical thought.

That's a very good point about QC. Isn't that what Maggards does with their razors? Buy cases of them, then only sell the ones that look good for full price?

I ask, not as a fanboy but as a potential customer, if you contacted IB to give them a chance to make it right? My older batch of XXX smells great; if I ordered a new one that had mild or no scent I'd be insisting on a return/refund as it would be defective.

They did that with the RazoRocktober soap and sold it at a big discount. Not sure why, if there was a real issue, they wouldn't do it again.

Also, another good reason to mostly stick with established soap makers. Consistent recipes with predictable results.

I was thinking about this scenario. Purely speculation, but I'd imagine the RazoRocktober was a much smaller run vs a mainseller like XXX and that the numbers dictated that they could sell this one at cost and admit the mistake. Now when you're dealing with a huge batch of your bestseller that doesn't smell like anything.......

Top Bottom