What's new

Over shaving?

Does anyone else’s face get a bit leathery? I have shaved everyday for the last year or so and my face has gotten a bit leathery. I’m thinking a day off a week would do me some good.

I have shaved everyday for the last year or so and my face has gotten a bit leathery. I’m thinking a day off a week would do me some good.
You should moisturise after your shave to maintain skin condition. You will notice the difference.

Moisturizer after you shave and before you retire at night is essential for good skin.

The night before definitely. And not just with moisturizer. If I get any irritation at all, I'll do a splash of Thayers Rose WH on my face and go to bed - I swear overnight it works wonders. Do that for a few mights and see how it works - betcha it makes a very positive difference!

I've not had this issue, but I do notice my skin feels a lot better since I use soaps with great post-shave feel. For some, alcohol (splashes) can cause issues as it irritates and dries out the skin (YMMV). A good moisturiser and balm, as mentioned above, really works for me (though not all are created equal I found).

The night before definitely. And not just with moisturizer. If I get any irritation at all, I'll do a splash of Thayers Rose WH on my face and go to bed - I swear overnight it works wonders. Do that for a few mights and see how it works - betcha it makes a very positive difference!
I'm also a big fan of Thayers Rose Petal WH (or Lavender) and use it after every shave. It works wonders.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use a moisturiser after every shave. The only time that I use balms is if a particular shave has gone South big time. Sometimes I re-moisturise before I go to be especially in the Summer months.

I generally don't like AS balms anymore because I don't like the gooey or greasy feel.
Also I like the mild shock of applying an alcohol splash.
Best of all is Proraso Red, mostly because of the sandalwood scent, but there.s also a bit of shea butter in it.
It's just enough shea butter to leave a super-thin film that i can barely feel a few hours later.

Now I'm getting crazy ideas about mixing balms and splashes or moisturizers and splashes.
Or Pinaud Clubman and shea butter?

Now that I think about it, yes. I think part of the problem was I was doing too many passes chasing a BBS shave. I now only do a 2 pass wtg and xtg shave and finish with witch hazel and a moisturizer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Overdoing any part of the shave - too many passes, too much pressure, too much emphasis on getting a BBS, too much anything - often results in problems for me.

I do a lot of things to nourish, replenish, fix, repair, and improve my skin.

SheaButter+Equate.480JPG.JPG

One on my oldest and most effective rescue remedies has been Noxzema (the Equate knockoff from Walmart is better than the new Noxzema and the Equate is more like the old Noxzema). I'm using it right now. I apply it (if needed) at bedtime and then again in the morning first thing.

Whether it's right for everyone I have no idea, but it helps me especially if I am feeling just a tad "burned."

Sometimes I also use the shea butter applying it (usually) only at night and letting it soak in and dry before the Noxzema (Equate). Occasionally I'll use shea butter after a shave if my skin is incredibly dry.

These are not my usual products for everyday use. I use them only when I need to.

Cremo.SR.SpecialReserve.Pinaud.3-8-19.480.JPG

Cremo Moisturizer and a spash mixed in my palm makes a good balm.

There are all sort of good products but it takes a while sometimes to find the right one for your skin. What works for me might be wrong for you.

It does sound to me like you need a moisturizer. You might also want to try one of the soaps people into "post shave feel" or "post-post shave" (like me) rave about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom