What's new

Oumo brush 7th anniversary sale

I received the brush that I ordered during the sale yesterday. It had nice packaging and is very nice. I think the ST-1 synthetic knot seems almost identical to an STF. I would have them set the loft a little higher if I had it to do over again but it is a great brush.
The ST-1 knot grew on me. It has the very slightest bit more backbone and less splay than my STFs. I think you'll like it. I went through some grief learning how to load it from the puck, but if you bowl lather this won't trouble you. Here's the link where I documented this.

I think @APBinNCA says it's similar to a G5C.

... Thom

Last edited:
The ST-1 knot grew on me. It has the very slightest bit more backbone and less splay than my STFs. I think you'll like it. I went through some grief learning how to load it from the puck, but if you bowl lather this won't trouble you. Here's the link where I documented this.

... Thom
I agree with your assessment of the ST-1. I like it but not quite as much as the STF. It holds more water so I use less water when I use it. I bowl lather so it's not an issue now that I've figured it out. If it splayed a little better I think I'd like it as well as an STF. I probably don't have it really broken in yet though. ST-1 seems higher density also, so I still think a higher loft on it would help. If I ever order another I'll ask them to do that.

I agree with your assessment of the ST-1. I like it but not quite as much as the STF. It holds more water so I use less water when I use it. I bowl lather so it's not an issue now that I've figured it out. If it splayed a little better I think I'd like it as well as an STF. I probably don't have it really broken in yet though. ST-1 seems higher density also, so I still think a higher loft on it would help. If I ever order another I'll ask them to do that.
Yes, the STF is still my #1. The ST-1 does soften up a bit with use as, as does the STF, so while i think you'll still prefer your STF, I think the gap between the 2 will close up for you.

... Thom

Last edited:
There is also a high density version of the St-1 the
EX Density ST-1 the Bulb version is more of a Hybrid shape bewteen Fan and bulb

I know that feeling. Happened to me with a UPS vs USPS order recently (import brokerage fees with UPS in Canada are 💸 ).

According to Oumo it is not dhl and i'm not to worry, maybe it is some partnership between shipping companies that i received tracking codes from dhl

... Thom

funny how that Works the STF( muhle) was my first brush and synth but I always found that it could be improved upon.
and as far as I am aware the knots did not change until this year. now maybe Muhle could have used a better loft setting to change the characteristics a bit, or maybe the knots did secretly change in years, i don't know.

Last edited:
seemed they accidentally put a 29mm Fanknot instead of a bulbknot Emperor E-3 Silvertip in the left Handle (Climber - Carbon)
the other brush: Venus - Gold mine with 'Kirin' - Natural super badger hair knot - 27mm
IMG_3392.jpg

Why do most of these Oumo "fan" knots have a strange asymmetrical look to them? Every other fan knot I see is symmetrical.
The photo appears to have wide angle distortion which may also contribute to your perception. Notice how the left side of the left brush (fan) and right side of the right brush (bulb) splays out.

funny how that Works the STF( muhle) was my first brush and synth but I always found that it could be improved upon.
and as far as I am aware the knots did not change until this year. now maybe Muhle could have used a better loft setting to change the characteristics a bit, or maybe the knots did secretly change in years, i don't know.
Loft choices most definitely come into play.

I have 3 STFs: one from Rudy, one from Andrew, and one from Mühle.

The Mühle was purchased last year (Spring, 2023). Rudy's is set with about 2-3mm lower loft and Andrew's is ever so slightly lower (3+ mm) than the Mühle. The Mühle is my favorite.

The two from Andrew and Rudy are very, very nice, but if I were doing it over again, I'd ask them for more loft to match the Mühle.

It's obviously a personal thing. No one is right or wrong.

Note that Andrew told me that the Shavemac #86 handle I specified for it has a bore that's 1-2mm wider than Mühle's Classic XL handle, which is why he dropped the knot down slightly. I'd say that both Andrew and Rudy achieved the same thing with their respective handles, but I prefer Mühle's design decision.

I easily can see where others would opt for Rudy's and Andrew's design decision (less loft). You can't please everyone ... especially this crowd :eek2:

... Thom

Last edited:
must be the lens playing tricks
look fine symmetrical in real life, too bad it isn't the bulb i ordered. it took quite some convincing telling them this is not a bulb.
at first they said it was a hybrid and the top was flattened due to shipping

so i was like no left is a hybrid bulb(Ex density st1) right is a fan... it is not even maybe a bulb

possibly there was a box mislabels because they send a video and the knots were all fans in there
eventually they admitted something had gone wrong and i was promised a new brush with correct knot
will have to see how that plays a out as all the bulb knots seem to be sold out.

time will tell

IMG_3393.jpg

Top Bottom