What's new

Oumo brush 7th anniversary sale

Someone responded through chat after I placed my order.

• The standard Loft for the seventh anniversary is 46mm
    9:11 PM
  • The Unsullied knot is 47mm
  • The minimum loft for the brush handle is 48mm
    9:17 PM
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I wrote: So you're saying the minimum loft is going to be 48mm based on the handle? That's not going to work
    9:23 PM

Anyone that ordered have you received a shipment notification yet? Seems like I get better updates ordering through AliExpress and that's not saying much.

Anyone that ordered have you received a shipment notification yet? Seems like I get better updates ordering through AliExpress and that's not saying much.
I received the brush that I ordered during the sale yesterday. It had nice packaging and is very nice. I think the ST-1 synthetic knot seems almost identical to an STF. I would have them set the loft a little higher if I had it to do over again but it is a great brush.

I received the brush that I ordered during the sale yesterday. It had nice packaging and is very nice. I think the ST-1 synthetic knot seems almost identical to an STF. I would have them set the loft a little higher if I had it to do over again but it is a great brush.
Did you ever get a shipment email? I checked email inbox and spam folder and nothing. I even installed that SHOP app they use for tracking and nothing showing it was ever shipped.

Just checked order status and it says order # xxxxxxcc is awaiting fulfillment. 2 weeks and it hasn't shipped out yet?

Last edited:
Yes. I ordered on the 19th and got an order shipped email on the 24th. Then I received the brush on 5/8. Shipping took a long time.

Just ordered one of them Kirin Knots 27mm bulb.
i wonder if it is classified as anything. it is neither listed as 2 band or silvertip.
I know there is no real standardization for it and brands basically all have their own system
(with this handle)

Venus gold mine.png

I have three orders placed on the 19, 20, and 22; (four handles, 2 knots) none have shipped yet and are still awaiting fulfillment.

Just ordered one of them Kirin Knots 27mm bulb.
i wonder if it is classified as anything. it is neither listed as 2 band or silvertip.
I know there is no real standardization for it and brands basically all have their own system
(with this handle)

View attachment 1843937
Oumo's Kirin knot is made from natural super badger hair. This is a type of unprocessed badger hair that has undergone a selection process to remove as much miscellaneous hair as possible and reduce the prickliness often associated with natural badger hair.

what doe you mean with super?
isn't that just an arbitrary classification? like Simpson has a range it calls super. (and best, silvertip, 2 band and manchurian if i'm not mistaken)
All i see is they the state it is from the Meles Meles (eurasian badger) species. there is not hair classification listed.
most brushes used to be made from natural badger hair. gel tips etc was a bit of a fad imho.

Ah i see now i was looking in the Body of text but the word super was in the title. I read over it.
maybe Super refers to what Simpsons calls Super which is what others brands call Silvertip.

what doe you mean with super?
isn't that just an arbitrary classification? like Simpson has a range it calls super. (and best, silvertip, 2 band and manchurian if i'm not mistaken)
All i see is they the state it is from the Meles Meles (eurasian badger) species. there is not hair classification listed.
most brushes used to be made from natural badger hair. gel tips etc was a bit of a fad imho.
In the context of shaving brushes, "Super Badger" is a grade of badger hair used to create the brush knot (the bristles). It sits in the middle tier of badger hair quality, above "Pure Badger" but below "Silvertip Badger."

Characteristics of Super Badger:
  • Softness: Softer and finer tips than Pure Badger, offering a more comfortable and luxurious feel on the skin.
  • Backbone: Maintains a good balance between softness and firmness, providing enough backbone to lift and soften beard hairs for a close shave.
  • Water Retention: Retains a good amount of water, helping create a rich, creamy lather.
  • Appearance: Typically has a two-tone appearance with a light tip and darker band.
Why Choose Super Badger?
  • Value: Offers a significant upgrade in softness and performance compared to Pure Badger at a more affordable price than higher grades like Silvertip.
  • Versatility: Suitable for a wide range of shavers, offering a balance of comfort, performance, and value.
Super Badger is a popular choice for those who want a noticeable upgrade from entry-level brushes without breaking the bank. It delivers a comfortable and enjoyable shaving experience.

It's important to note that grading systems for badger hair can vary between manufacturers and vendors. Some may use different terminology or finer distinctions within each grade.

For Simpsons Super is Equal to what other brands call Silvertip aka the top of the Line.
(put aside Manchurian which is only for limited editions)

the Naming scheme is not set in stone there are no rules like with "Parma Ham" and the brushmaker can name something whatever they want.
that is why i was wondering.
Maybe I missed it but I see no Explanation of their grading system on te Oumo site hence why i asked.

This used to be on the simpsons site

Simpson Hair types

Pure badger brushes use the most common hair from the underbelly of a badger.
Best badger brushes are made with the finer, more pliable hairs of the badger's body
super (Silvertip badger) brushes tend to be the most expensive, as it's the most rare type of badger hair used, and these differ slightly in appearance from the other two as the tips of the hair are naturally white
High Mountain White Manchurian Badger, used in our Special & Limited Edition brushes only.

this is what TGN said about Their 2 band knots

Finest Super 2 Band badger hair knot. Highest quality finest hair. Only comes along once a year. Nice dark stem and creamy soft white tips. Very limited supply. Approx size - base 24mm loft 65mm

for shavemac the top tiers were both sivlertip one jsut silvertip and the other silvertip 2 band

all just to show there is no standard in shaving brushes its the wild west :cowboy:

I could not stop myself and order another brush with and E3 knot (bulb) and since they only had 29 mm left it is gona be huge

Peace!

Climber DSC7094_020.png

Last edited:
For Simpsons Super is Equal to what other brands call Silvertip aka the top of the Line.

the Naming scheme is not set in stone there are no rules like with "Parma Ham" and the brushmaker can name something whatever they want.
Maybe I missed it but I see no Explanation of their grading system on te Oumo site hence why i asked.

for shavemac the top tiers were both sivlertip one jsut silvertip and the other silvertip 2 band

all just to show there is no standard in shaving brushes its the wild west :cowboy:

I could not stop myself and order another brush with and E3 knot (bulb) and since they only had 29 mm left it is gona be huge

Peace!

View attachment 1845904
Oumo is interesting (to me) as they not only "grade" their knots with common terminology, but also organize them based upon how they are or are not selected and processed (such as the Kirin or Unsullied). To me, that is much more informative than just the source. They started posting these with some of their knots. They are actually a small shop driven by 4 master craftsmen - Master Carry Master Wang, Master Zihan, and Master Xing. Master Carry seems to be the lead. Every brush I have gotten has been set by one of the 4 so I assume that is their final quality control (each of the four also design the handles). I think they just haven't had the time to update each knot with this information.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 075723.png

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Peace!

View attachment 1845904
This looks to me more like a nicely fan shaped knot.

Top Bottom