What's new

Otto Deutsch hans

So I was recently looking at an auction with a fairly nice looking razor Otto Deutsch Hans. It was about $60. I tried searching the internet for any information on this brand/stamp. I came up with nothing. I saw where some were auctioned off but can find anything on the manufacturer or when they were produced. I’m curious if it would be a good purchase as I’ve never heard of them before. Here are a few pictures of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4054.png
    IMG_4054.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4055.png
    IMG_4055.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4057.png
    IMG_4057.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4056.png
    IMG_4056.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4059.png
    IMG_4059.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4058.png
    IMG_4058.png
    2 MB · Views: 19

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The blade is a typical high quality hollow ground, made AFAIK in mostly 5/8 and a few 6/8.

Their most notable claim to fame is the inevitable decomposition of the beautiful green cellulose scales.

If you get a nice one, don’t store it with your other razors, if the scales ‘go off’, they can rust razors next to them.

Good luck!

The blade is a typical high quality hollow ground, made AFAIK in mostly 5/8 and a few 6/8.

Their most notable claim to fame is the inevitable decomposition of the beautiful green cellulose scales.

If you get a nice one, don’t store it with your other razors, if the scales ‘go off’, they can rust razors next to them.

Good luck!
From the photos, do you think it’s worth the money and chance?

From my notes a couple of years ago, I think it was:
MFG. by Bresduck Company, (Of Dubl Duck fame), in Solingen Germany. "Bresduck" existed 1930 – 1952.

I too, have seen several examples where the factory scales have "off-gassed" & rusted the blade. I have one in 5/8" and it has replacement scales. It shaves well though. Search "Cell Rot" for more info on the scales.

I acquired the exact model razor you posted back in January which looked to be in impeccable condition.
However when I went to use it in July it had began to gas off and rusted the blade.
Matt @ GSG did a great job of cleaning the blade up and replicating the green scales from a slightly lighter shade of green acrylic. See the photos below
IMG_7590.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
From the photos, do you think it’s worth the money and chance?

It seems not a question of ‘if’ with these, it’s ‘when’. If you buy it for the beautiful green scales, you’re likely to lose them - these razors are close to 100 years old now.

If you do buy it, keep it away from other razors and inspect it often.

I have a friend that has one, and it’s gassing. He loves the scales so much that he stores it open in open air! But eventually the scales will eat themselves.

This is why I have taken to rescaling any celluloid blades I get anymore. Just not worth the trouble. I keep my eyes peeled for cheap blades with horn scales to keep the scales on hand. Currently I have 2 nice horn scales and one nice bone scale each from a <$10 auction purchase of cheap junk blades.

Plus 4 mixed old bakelite and rubber scales I got in a lot for $20. Not worth letting celluloid gas my collection.

This is why I have taken to rescaling any celluloid blades I get anymore. Just not worth the trouble. I keep my eyes peeled for cheap blades with horn scales to keep the scales on hand. Currently I have 2 nice horn scales and one nice bone scale each from a <$10 auction purchase of cheap junk blades.

Plus 4 mixed old bakelite and rubber scales I got in a lot for $20. Not worth letting celluloid gas my collection.
That’s a good idea. I will look in to that.

From my notes a couple of years ago, I think it was:
MFG. by Bresduck Company, (Of Dubl Duck fame), in Solingen Germany. "Bresduck" existed 1930 – 1952.

I too, have seen several examples where the factory scales have "off-gassed" & rusted the blade. I have one in 5/8" and it has replacement scales. It shaves well though. Search "Cell Rot" for more info on the scales.
So does keeping them oiled down help protect the blade at all? Has anyone tried to encapsulate the scales in a thin layer of acrylic to prevent anything from happening? I’m sure there has been a lot of things tried. My wife works with acrylic and epoxies. Just wondering how it would work.

Yes, looks like it is off gassing and has eaten the blade especially on the back side. Doubt it will take and hold an edge.

I love the scales, bolsters, and inlay, but would not pay $60 for the gamble. There are many old celluloid concoctions that are time bombs and not worth the risk. Most translucent and faux tortoise are notorious.

A single razor will infect a collection when stored together.

No way to seal, even if you did gas would escape from the pin holes. One way to identify some early off gassing is discolored or rusted pins and collars, brass and nickel silver should not rust.

If caught in time with a fine coat of orange rust, can be saved and rescaled, but depth of damage is a gamble.

I acquired the exact model razor you posted back in January which looked to be in impeccable condition.
However when I went to use it in July it had began to gas off and rusted the blade.
Matt @ GSG did a great job of cleaning the blade up and replicating the green scales from a slightly lighter shade of green acrylic. See the photos belowView attachment 1740495View attachment 1740496
The HANS is a very nice razor, and yours was restored just beautifully!

Last edited:
The HANS is a very nice razor, and yours was restored just beautifully!
@Loner16 yes Matt did a great job of replicating the original scales and transferring the hardware too.
Of course the razor looked to be in impeccable condition when in bought it.
I guess the cell rot had already started though and only became visible 7 months later. I still have a beautiful copy though with original looking scales which will never rot.

Top Bottom