What's new

Other Rituals?

For many of us, I imagine we engage in this pastime (enough at least to participate in a forum dedicated to the topic) because of the ritual and perhaps a nod to the past... the way it was done with our fathers, grandfathers, and beyond. A way to slow down and enjoy something that many of us will do 3+ times a week for the remainder of our lives. For me, my interest in traditional wet shaving is consistent with some of my other interests and personal characteristics.

I like to drive a stick shift car,
I like nice mechanical watches (not the computers many wear on their wrists now a days)
I enjoy smoking a tobacco pipe on occasion-- in large part that is the ritual involved and nod to the past, similar to traditional shaving... the smells, the relaxation, the process.

What else do you enjoy that would be considered traditional or "Old school"?

Last edited:
I like to simply sit quietly and contemplate.
I like to listen to my old LPs (but not exclusively as I like digital formats too)
I like to listen to old radio shows and watch film noir movies
I like to dress like an adult

I also liked sports cars with sticks though I don't have one these days
I appreciate fine watches, cameras, optics, firearms, books
I still smoke an occasional cigar but far less often as I did in my younger years.

If it was legal where I lived, I'd really like to smoke weed again.

For many of us, I imagine we engage in this pastime (enough at least to participate in a forum dedicated to the topic) because of the ritual and perhaps a nod to the past... the way it was done with our fathers, grandfathers, and beyond. A way to slow down and enjoy something that many of us will do 3+ times a week for the remainder of our lives. For me, my interest in traditional wet shaving is consistent with some of my other interests and personal characteristics.

I like to drive a stick shift car,
I like nice mechanical watches (not the computers many wear on their wrists now a days)
I enjoy smoking a tobacco pipe on occasion-- in large part that is the ritual involved and nod to the past, similar to traditional shaving... the smells, the relaxation, the process.

What else do you enjoy that would be considered traditional or "Old school"?
I love manual transmissions. Too bad manufacturers are going to automatics.

My daughter totaled the last car I had with a manual transmission. It sure was fun running through the gears.

I really like Thanksgiving because I'm generally the bird roaster. I learned from my mom and carry on her traditions with a few add-ons of my own.
I enjoy doing my laundry, washing, drying, folding.
I enjoy mowing the lawn. I learned from a retired engineering professor who was very particular. I don't ride to mow.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had at least one standard transmission vehicle for the past....? 40+ years I suppose.... Lol, brings me back to my misspent youth in just milliseconds!

We garden (okay, I have a mouse in my pocket; my wife does 90+% of it now).... BUT I have always helped can the produce and meat.

We are mostly out of the chicken and eggs business, though we will probably raise meat birds in 2024 again, if not 2023...

I still enjoy watching old movies @njpaddy , especially with my hillbilly Mom!

I like the way the King James Version states in my mouth, but I actually read silently (and no @dmshaver , my lips aren't moving!) the Holman Christian Standard Bible when I do read the Book when I'm not backsliding....

I really miss smoking a Whisky Blend of tobacco in a pipe, but I don't imbibe anymore....

I do enjoy rereading books I enjoyed as a younger man, old science fiction...

I'm sure I'll find other things that prove I'm a crusty old man, and will be sure to add to this list, as I know y'all just can't wait to know more about me!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like to simply sit quietly and contemplate.
I like to listen to my old LPs (but not exclusively as I like digital formats too)
I like to listen to old radio shows and watch film noir movies
I like to dress like an adult

I also liked sports cars with sticks though I don't have one these days
I appreciate fine watches, cameras, optics, firearms, books
I still smoke an occasional cigar but far less often as I did in my younger years.

If it was legal where I lived, I'd really like to smoke weed again.

Smokey says, “ it’s from da earth.” :)

FarmerTan

I know, right? I could grow it in my pasture but then I'd end up in lock-up shaving with a disposable and bar soap!
Move to Michigan, lol, where it don't matter if you drop the soap!
My lips are always moving, whether I’m reading or not!
I was going to tease you about being a mouth breather, but I just got done helping my only begotten with some trouble shooting, and I am sitting here in my Lazyboy all tuckered out, mouth breathing!

Definite prufe I ain't in the Good Book NEARLY enuff friends!

Move to Michigan, lol, where it don't matter if you drop the soap!

I was going to tease you about being a mouth breather, but I just got done helping my only begotten with some trouble shooting, and I am sitting here in my Lazyboy all tuckered out, mouth breathing!

Definite prufe I ain't in the Good Book NEARLY enuff friends!
Well, I was born in Michigan.

FarmerTan

Well, I was born in Michigan.
We'd take ya back.... You probably had to pay some bail money when you left here! That's the only reason I'm still here! I know so many of the right politicians I can't afford to leave!

We'd take ya back.... You probably had to pay some bail money when you left here! That's the only reason I'm still here! I know so many of the right politicians I can't afford to leave!
My ancestors settled in Michigan when it was still the west. Doctors, farmers, and politicians. Mostly, all three at the same time. From Wayne County up to Traverse City and Petoskey. Great-granddad's place is still along Waloon Lake. Lot's of family there today, 170+ years later.

My ancestors settled in Michigan when it was still the west. Doctors, farmers, and politicians. Mostly, all three at the same time. From Wayne County up to Traverse City and Petoskey. Great-granddad's place is still along Waloon Lake. Lot's of family there today, 170+ years later.
You can call me sir or your lordship if you'd like. Sadly, I don't have the ring one could kiss but anyway... ;)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Grow and harvest fruits and vegetables from whatever space I have available.
Can, cure and smoke a variety of things.
Maintain an active starter and bake bread and make condiments, jams and jellies and give generously to my neighbours.
Trade goods.
Make my own leather strops.
Insist on driving a manual transmission.
Wear a variety of hats and caps (not baseball)

Top Bottom