OTC blends - whats your favorite?

What is your favorite OTC blend?

• Carter hall

• Half and Half

• Captain Black

• Sir Walter Raleigh

• Prince Albert

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, recently I've been smoking a lot of OTC blends. I have a pouch of half and half, carter hall, and captain black open right now that I'm smoking while some of my more expensive stuff is sitting in mason jars. I find most of them really easy to smoke, but also really mild. I think carter hall is my favorite.

What are yours and what are your thoughts on OTC stuff?

I absolutely love Carter Hall.

Amphora is pretty darn good as well. And I also really like Sir Walter Raleigh regular (not a fan of the aromatic)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Carter Hall and Captain Black are the only drugstore brands I have tried. I started off with The Captain in the white pouch and quickly got tired of tongue bite and graduated to Carter Hall. If I'm not sipping on a tobacco house blend, it's probably CH in a cob. :)

I haven't tried any of the blends listed, with the exception of Carter Hall. I picked up a pouch a month or two ago, and quite like it. Amphora Original was my first, and I still enjoy it from time to time.

When I worked in a pipe shop we sold several "house blends" that we named and bagged in zip-loks but that were nothing more than 10 lb. bulk bags that we got from Lane Ltd. Our overwhelming best seller was Lane's 10-Q that we labelled #10 and sold in 2 and 4 oz quantities. We were told that was Captian Black Blue label but without as many preservatives. We also sold the White label the same way. Hence, my vote.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Out of the choices available, Carter Hall. I haven't tried Half & Half yet, the one pouch of SWR I tried was dry, and I don't really care too much for PA. Regular Captain Black is ok, but I much prefer Captain Black Royal, which I would rank up there with Carter Hall. Carter Hall would still be tops, though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Carter Hall hands down. Captain Black in the white pouch would be a close second. The rest on you list are smokable, but just barely.

Carter Hall and SWR are my faves on the list, but I've been smoking more SWR lately, so that's my vote. Last month it would have been CH. I enjoy H&H and PA, too, but don't reach for those much.

I've had Captain Black, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh (both aromatic and regular). Prince Albert is the clear winner for me. CB tastes about like nothing. Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic is decent, but surprisingly the 'regular' had a more chemical taste. Prince Albert is smooth and flavorful every time.

for you guys who smoke OTC blends and other more expensive tobacco, do you find the OTC blends more forgiving or is it just me?

Kilroy6644

for you guys who smoke OTC blends and other more expensive tobacco, do you find the OTC blends more forgiving or is it just me?
Never gave it any thought before, but I believe you're right. The good OTC blends are more forgiving in just about every category. They pack well, they're easy to keep lit, they have a mild flavor (so even if you don't like it, you can finish the bowl, or even the pouch), and they're gentle on the tongue. For beginners, they're good trainers, and pretty low in nicotine. For people like me, who aren't coming over from cigarettes, that's a godsend. For the more experienced, they're great because they take little effort, and they're good to smoke when you're doing something else.

Never gave it any thought before, but I believe you're right. The good OTC blends are more forgiving in just about every category. They pack well, they're easy to keep lit, they have a mild flavor (so even if you don't like it, you can finish the bowl, or even the pouch), and they're gentle on the tongue. For beginners, they're good trainers, and pretty low in nicotine. For people like me, who aren't coming over from cigarettes, that's a godsend. For the more experienced, they're great because they take little effort, and they're good to smoke when you're doing something else.

yup thats exactly how I feel, I find myself stuffing CH more often when smoking and doing other things when I don't have time to sit and rub out a flake and dry etc. The mild flavor can be a double edged sword though. I find most OTC stuff really mild and single dimensional. Its good for me when I am not sitting back and relaxing and paying attention to my smoke. But when I do have time to sit and really relax and smoke, I find I like smoking something with more complexity, this is when I reach for the english blends or VA flakes and stuff.

I've smoked a lot of OTCs, and really enjoy them. Carter Hall is my favorite. I have an open pouch of Half and Half I am greatly enjoying at the moment.

I've smoked a lot of OTCs, the worst would have to be Paladin, Captain Black Cherry, and Velvet (an old pouch that gave me massive tongue bite).

Kilroy6644

yup thats exactly how I feel, I find myself stuffing CH more often when smoking and doing other things when I don't have time to sit and rub out a flake and dry etc. The mild flavor can be a double edged sword though. I find most OTC stuff really mild and single dimensional. Its good for me when I am not sitting back and relaxing and paying attention to my smoke. But when I do have time to sit and really relax and smoke, I find I like smoking something with more complexity, this is when I reach for the english blends or VA flakes and stuff.
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. Although I'm still just as likely to reach for an OTC when I have time to sit and relax. I like the one dimensional aspect. It's plain and simple. A gourmet meal is nice, but sometimes you just want peanut butter and jelly.

Honestly, OTCs never really appealed to me. I'm not a huge fan of aromatics unless they come from a certain area of England. I'm also not a huge fan of burleys, unless it's Solani Aged Burley Flake. I lean towards complex blends or flavorful blends... otherwise I get bored very quickly.

I'm not really a pipe snob, and I don't fault anyone for liking OTCs. It just isn't my thing.

Honestly, OTCs never really appealed to me. I'm not a huge fan of aromatics unless they come from a certain area of England. I'm also not a huge fan of burleys, unless it's Solani Aged Burley Flake. I lean towards complex blends or flavorful blends... otherwise I get bored very quickly.

I'm not really a pipe snob, and I don't fault anyone for liking OTCs. It just isn't my thing.

PIPE SNOB ALERT! jk jk :tongue_sm:lol::a22:

I can see how too mild not be for some people. But would you refuse a bowl of OTC if someone offered it to you?

:a50:Pipe snob alert!!!:a50:

Just kidding. MMM Solani Aged Burley Flake
:drool::drool::drool:

Boris, I agree the OTCs rarely have tongue bite for me (I'm only really experienced with CH, SWR and PA). I do love a nice bowl of any of those three in a cob for a long drive or if i'm doing work outside. Don't have to think to much or smoke too carefully to enjoy a bowl.

Top Bottom