What's new

Orient Watches

Need a little help guys. Never owned an automatic before, and keep running into recommendations for Orients. They seem to be the best "bang for the buck" watches at the moment, according to several watch forums and a friend who is into watches. Budget is a little bit of an issue (first year of law school in the rear view, and money is tight going into year two.) Can't settle on which model, for reasons listed below:

1) The Bambino. I prefer the first edition in white with a brown strap. Classic, plays well with a suit but can also be dressed down. Issues I have with it are the size of the lugs (21mm) and price. Before you roll your eyes at my quibbles with the price, hear me out. The most reasonable deals I can find from non-eBay listings seem to be in the $130 range. Definitely a deal. However, other Orients seem to available for slightly more (see following), and may be a better value. What's wrong with 21mm lugs? Well, I'd like the option to change straps. If not to match what I'm wearing or my mood, then just because I intend to have the watch for a while and will likely wear the first strap out eventually. 21mm is an odd size, as opposed to 20mm or 22mm. Moving on...

2) The Curator. Wow. Gorgeous watch, especially the grey, which is the one I prefer. Issues with this one: comes with a black band. I rarely wear black. I own one black suit, and also a tuxedo. I'm a bit of a traditionalist with evening wear, so I don't wear a watch to black tie functions. Best deal I've found on this one is around $179. As I mentioned above, the Bambino is a good deal, but the price puts me off compared to other Orients. For $50 more, I get a sapphire crystal and a power reserve indicator, plus 22mm lug width. Downside on the price here is that because I don't wear black very often, I'd have to buy a brown band. So there's another $30, bringing me to $210. Is the curator worth $80 more to me, compared to the Bambino. Not sure.

3) The Producer. Kinda fun. Like the square/tonneau case, but not sure I want that for my everyday watch. Also not 100% sold on the display showing part of the movement through the face. At $149, it splits the difference between the Bambino and Curator price wise.

And then there are the Seikos. By the time (no pun intended) I get to watches in the $250 category, I start leaning towards waiting a few months and springing for a SARB065 Cocktail Time (plus a brown band.) I'd really like to find one of the older SARBs that were 38mm across the case. Those are getting rare, and tend to command a pretty penny on the watch forums, from what I've seen. I also really like the SKX007 on a bracelet. It's probably the only watch I'd get with a metal bracelet instead of a strap. I'd also likely wear it with navy and gray suits, in spite of the black face. But I keep coming back to the Orients.

So, there's the dilemma. Anyone with experience in Orients care to chime in? Is there something else I should be considering? Ready to step up to automatics, but can't quite pull the trigger. I appreciate your help in advance.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... Well, I'd like the option to change straps. If not to match what I'm wearing or my mood, then just because I intend to have the watch for a while and will likely wear the first strap out eventually. 2

2) The Curator. Wow. Gorgeous watch, especially the grey, which is the one I prefer. Issues with this one: comes with a black band. ... For $50 more, I get a sapphire crystal and a power reserve indicator, plus 22mm lug width. Downside on the price here is that because I don't wear black very often, I'd have to buy a brown band.

Given that you intend to change bands out anyhow, regardless of watch, saying that the Curator is "an extra $30 for the band" is a bit of a dodge, since realistically you will have multiple bands for whatever watch you buy.

Buy once, cry once. Get the one you want, the Curator, and live with the band for 6 months. I don't really think anyone will much notice or care if you wear a black watch band with brown shoes &c. Or get the other band too. Just skimp a bit on other stuff ... no Friday evening brewskies until it's paid off ... for a bit.

Given that you intend to change bands out anyhow, regardless of watch, saying that the Curator is "an extra $30 for the band" is a bit of a dodge, since realistically you will have multiple bands for whatever watch you buy.

Buy once, cry once. Get the one you want, the Curator, and live with the band for 6 months. I don't really think anyone will much notice or care if you wear a black watch band with brown shoes &c. Or get the other band too. Just skimp a bit on other stuff ... no Friday evening brewskies until it's paid off ... for a bit.
Unfortunately, wearing black with brown would matter to me. Would others notice? Not likely. But it would drive me nuts. Thanks for the input. That's what I love about this entire forum: good viewpoints, different angles.

My advice is to take your time (no pun intended) and keep looking at these and different models until you are very convinced about your choice. Buying a single watch is difficult...but you only have one wrist and an automatic wants to be worn every day, so you should get what you believe will be appealing over the longer term, for years to come.

I mostly agree with your assessments and I find both #1 and #2 appealing. Based on budget I could overlook the 21 inch strap issue and go with Bambino and look forward to a future upgrade after graduation/job, but the grey Curator may be the one for you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Unfortunately, wearing black with brown would matter to me. Would others notice? Not likely. But it would drive me nuts. Thanks for the input. That's what I love about this entire forum: good viewpoints, different angles.

Fair enough. One man's OCD is another man's common sense, and this site is devoted to squeezing "the last 5%" out of things and experiences.

So the "wear a black strap for now" point is tossed. Here's the thing: answer yourself these questions:

1. Do I need a new watch now, or am I willing and able to wait a "reasonable amount of time" to save for a more expensive watch.
  2. In light of my answer to to #1, what is my maximum budget available (no need to spend it all, but for watch comparison sake.)
  3. What specifically do I want/need from a watch (appearance, features, construction, &c &c)
  4. Within my price range, but otherwise regardless of price, which watches offer the most attractive, quality combination of the requirements of #3.
  5. Which one of #4 do I like best. Buy it.

I suspect you did a bit of this already to come up with your current list of options. But I'm going to ask you to give a bit more thought to #1 and #2, specifically with regard to whether or not you can delay your purchase, save some money, and get a few more watches into your "for consideration" pool. I worry that you are going to buy a "pretty good" watch that will be a stop-gap, and within a year you will be back asking us about Seikos or whatever.

If it were me, I'd keep wearing the watch I have now, until I can afford the watch I really want "for keeps" ... not one of the options mentioned in the opening post. But then again, if it were me, I'd wear a black watch with brown shoes. So ... it's not up to me, it's up to you.

Bottom line: what watch do I really want, and can I make do with what I already have while I save my sheckels?

As to the quality of the Orient, it is a very highly regarded watch at a price point that belies its quality. Orient is one of the older, but under the radar, watch companies of Europe. Very well regarded. They are innovators. The models that you have mentioned are, in their own way, quite good.

Don't worry about the band color. I'm a watch snob and i never worry about the color of the band vs. my shoes. The band should generally compliment the metal of the watch: black/SS, brown/yellow gold.

There is never a bad time to buy a watch. Wearing a watch shows that you are a grown up.:001_smile Waiting for the perfect watch means that you will never get one, as your idea of the perfect watch will change over time. Get the one that you like now.

Best of luck on your purchase!

If you want a good watch for as little as possible, then consider Vostok Amphibias too. They are very nice watches for the price (around $50-55) and automatic. I had an even more tight budget than you when I looked for a watch and Vostok became the most interesting option for me. As you anyway consider putting extra money on a new band, Vostoks are ideal. Vostok Amphibias comes with a worthless bracelet that definitely needs to be changed. The explanation is that in Russia, you buy watches without strap/braclet but other countries are expecting a complete watch, so they put on a very cheap one to get them sold. That means almost all money goes to the watch and not to the bracelet. They have 18mm lugs and 22mm lugs depending on the model.

They are rated for 200m (656 feet) and that is conservatively rated. Many have tested their watches against this claim and it has been holding up. You could really expect them to last those 200m. It is not like most watches that claim to be water tight but aren't. I love to snorkel and I have been going down to 8m (26 feet) with mine. Latest yesterday I went swimming and snorkeling and it has been taking all that really well.

Naturally Vostok Amphibias have a dark side too. As they are made in Russia, the quality is a bit uneven. Most of the time, you will have no problem with a Vostok, but there exists badly made ones too that will not run well. That risk can be minimized by buying from good sources that take care of their customers. For example, meranom.com is often recommended. As is zenitar on ebay. Those taking care of their customers are usually slightly more expensive, probably because they need to replace some watch.

Last edited:
I have both Orients and Seikos. You cannot go wrong with either.

I just wish the Bambino had plexiglass, instead of mineral glass.

Buy what you want, not what you can afford. When I paid $1000 for my Rolex 22 year ago, I thought it was a fortune. But over the past 22 years, it's been pretty cheap.

Same with my $100 Orient Mako. I loved the watch, and it was money well spent. I get as much joy wearing it as my Rolex. So whether you get a $1000 watch or a $100 watch, make sure you love it. And don't count bands. I have 3-4 bands for my Mako, and just consider it part of the fun of owning a watch.

Orient all the way! I rock an Orient 300M Saturation Diver, their big dog diver and most expensive watch (I got it in trade for something). It's absolutely fantastic, over-engineered, and so thoughtfully designed. It's easily worth twice what it goes for new. I'd love to have an Orient Air King:

proxy.php

A 40th Anniversary diver:

proxy.php

Or my first choice, the Somes (which also came in Black and blue):

proxy.php

I really like red line watches . I purchased it at a great discount and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, and a couple of months later, seems to keep perfect time. If you need a good quality watch at a decent price, red line is what you need!
Thanks for the suggestion, but those are pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm looking for. Definitely no quartz, not over 40-41mm, and few, if any, complications.

Very nice watch. I'm currently considering the new Mako USA. Looks like a very nice watch for the money.

Top Bottom