What's new

Opinions Please: Worth Saving?

I just discovered this section of B&B. Oh my! I have a few brushes that have accompanied mug purchases. I had just been putting them aside as “that’s gross”. I didn’t realize that replacing bristles was a thing!

Would love opinions on whether you think any of these would worth saving. I think the last one is, but not sure on the others.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Unless that string is to hold the black handle together, all those handles look good to me for future projects.

Worth saving????? Definitely!!!!!!!

You can remove the old brush and replace it with whatever your heart desires. Boar, badger or synthetic.

The plastic handles can be buffed and polished like new and the wooden handles can be painted to whatever color you like. If the opening is too small, you might be able to bore it out to fit a knot size that’s a couple of millimeters larger. You can customize or keep it stock.

Brush restoration is fun, easy and makes them good for another 50 years!

Unless that string is to hold the black handle together, all those handles look good to me for future projects.

The string is just taped to the handle. It’s not cracked. It held the price tag. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth saving????? Definitely!!!!!!!

You can remove the old brush and replace it with whatever your heart desires. Boar, badger or synthetic.

The plastic handles can be buffed and polished like new and the wooden handles can be painted to whatever color you like. If the opening is too small, you might be able to bore it out to fit a knot size that’s a couple of millimeters larger. You can customize or keep it stock.

Brush restoration is fun, easy and makes them good for another 50 years!

I really like the handle that doesn’t stand up. I have no tools for this. I’ll need to read up on what’s needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like the style of the handle it's worth it. If not offer it up, someone might :)

I would probably soak a few in Infusium23 for a couple of hours and try to use as is. I did that with the below with good results. It's loft/diameter ratio is like 2.7 though so it is way too floppy. I use the barbers grip on it to compensate.

Luxury 10-5.JPG

I really like the handle that doesn’t stand up. I have no tools for this. I’ll need to read up on what’s needed.

My favorite style of handles.

I would steam it and then grab handle with one gloved hand and sleeve with other gloved hand, then try twisting and/or wiggling the connection. Repeat a few time. Your trying to break the glue holding it on. If that doesn't make any headway, you can try holding the handle and striking the bristles against a hard object- make sure not to hit the sleeve. Or last resort, drill into the knot in several locations and dig the old knot out. Then figure out how to get the sleeve off, or last, last resort, glue a smaller diameter knot by inserting through the top of the sleeve- not very aesthetic at that point.

Oh, you could try different solvents, though hide glue was very common back then so steam normally works.

If you like the style of the handle it's worth it. If not offer it up, someone might :)

I would probably soak a few in Infusium23 for a couple of hours and try to use as is. I did that with the below with good results. It's loft/diameter ratio is like 2.7 though so it is way too floppy. I use the barbers grip on it to compensate.

View attachment 950560
Was that to straighten out curved bristles?
Is Infusium 23 particularly good, or will any conditioner do the job?

Was that to straighten out curved bristles?
Is Infusium 23 particularly good, or will any conditioner do the job?
It "supposedly" is really good. I don't know though. It's consistency is like water though, so no having to smear it though the knot, trying to get good coverage, breaking old dry brittle bristles.

I just thought of using Carrier oils for hair, which should be good, and a Dawn wash or two should get rid of the surface oil. Haven't ever tried it though, I just thought . . . :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They all look like are worth saving. As mentioned another rabbit hole beckons.

Yep, get to work. You've got a number there I'd work on for sure. I have two of the aluminum Rubbersets that I re-knotted and they're great brushes.

Top Bottom