What's new

Opinions on the TGN 24mm boar knot?

Has anyone tried the TGN 24mm banded boar knot? Is this knot similar to the Omega banded boar hair? How is the density?

I finally found a Omega that I like. The Omega 81056 has a nice short loft (22mm by 50mm) and I like the hair quality. The handle however looks and feels about as cheap as you can get. Hallow, low quality plastic and a weird purple color are hardly attractive. Long story short if I wanted to make something similar with a touch wider knot, would the TGN boar be a worth while option?

Also any thoughts on the 22mm Vilfix Boar would be welcome. I'm less keen on this option as I have a couple stiff boars, but while we are on the subject of TGN boar knots I'm curious to hear about it.

I tried the vulfix boar. It didn't impress me. I much prefer the Semogue 1470, 830, SoC, 1250, etc to it. There's nothing wrong with it, but Semogue has better bristle. I have no experience with the TGN knots.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Has anyone tried the TGN 24mm banded boar knot? Is this knot similar to the Omega banded boar hair? How is the density?

I finally found a Omega that I like. The Omega 81056 has a nice short loft (22mm by 50mm) and I like the hair quality. The handle however looks and feels about as cheap as you can get. Hallow, low quality plastic and a weird purple color are hardly attractive. Long story short if I wanted to make something similar with a touch wider knot, would the TGN boar be a worth while option?

Also any thoughts on the 22mm Vilfix Boar would be welcome. I'm less keen on this option as I have a couple stiff boars, but while we are on the subject of TGN boar knots I'm curious to hear about it.

The TGN boar is very densely packed with bristles, a bit more than the Omega knots. The UK boar is not dense at all, so this could be set a bit deeper (as I have done). Setting the TGN boar deeper would end up in a very stiff brush. On the other hand, Omega knots can be easily removed from their ugly and cheap handles and set in a nice, decent custom handle (believe me, I have done this several times in the past).

The TGN boar is very densely packed with bristles, a bit more than the Omega knots. The UK boar is not dense at all, so this could be set a bit deeper (as I have done). Setting the TGN boar deeper would end up in a very stiff brush. On the other hand, Omega knots can be easily removed from their ugly and cheap handles and set in a nice, decent custom handle (believe me, I have done this several times in the past).

Thanks Rudy! I was thinking of transplanting it, but all of the Omega knots I have seen had a weird collar type thing on them so I did not know if they would fit in a normal handle. Do Omega knots have a normal glue base inside like other knots do?

I've been very impressed with the 22 and 20 mm Vulfix boar knots from TGN. True, they are not as stiff as the Omegas, but I think they make up for it by having thicker more durable bristles. They don't need to be broken in like an Omega and make great lather from both cream and soap. I don't like the banded knots quite as much.

Top Bottom