What's new

Opening a new razor set like it’s 1938

Sometimes you feel in the middle of the good old days. Today I took delivery of this British Gillette Aristocrat #14 set. And both case and razor is like new inside and out, it must have quite literally sat in a drawer for 83 years. I am as always blown away by the craftsmanship and attention to detail, and pictures of The Great Gatsby pass by on my inner movie screen.

The #14 set is a true rarity due to the special case. The razor is a standard wonderful 1st generation Aristocrat, rhodium plated, as seen in the more prevalent #15 set (in a nickel plated case). But the black leather clad case with purple interior and only 1 bladebank makes this 14 a unicorn. I never saw one for sale before, and if one googles it only very few links pop up even mentioning it.

I owe somebody a BIG favor!!

Enjoy!

6CD38D8F-53D8-4577-A8CA-91D7DA45B8A9.jpeg
062DCCF2-E858-4237-B626-43EBE220018D.jpeg
5106CEF2-6E14-4BC2-AC1F-C81F2B58303E.jpeg
6ED847D5-2645-410C-A8C8-AC8B062D6360.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks so much Adam and Adam! - and oh yes, even as this makes my 24th unique set (damn :blink:) my buddy Dan still leads me by a dozen. And he literally is helping me catch up - True sportsmanship by a true gentleman!

And here's the third "Adam" replying .... Yes indeed ! A beautiful razor. Enjoy it !

Wow, I think you have the best Vintage collection Peter!! I'm always stunned in the condition of your razors... It's like you bought the razor yesterday. Exceptional razors! Congrats on Aristocrat #14 acquisition!!

Thank you friends for so kindly sharing the appreciation of these vintages!

I really think it makes the world a better place that objects like this from the past pop up still. It makes me dizzy sometimes to think of what their specific back stories must be. In my inventory I keep careful note of which places my razors have come to me from. My razors have spent their past lives in all places across the US, in Europe, even in Asia and Australia. And in all kinds of environments from small fishing villages in the west to big cities in the East...

Each of them have seen the ups and downs, the joys and sorrows of real life. Like this set - Why wasn’t it used? I truly hope there is a positive story behind it ... “Dang now my wife gave me another expensive razor set!! Why can’t she understand that I love my bakelite Tech? ... Well, down into the drawer it goes...” :laugh:

Top Bottom