What's new

Open for suggestions (Noob)

Hey All,

Been shaving just about a month now and I am almost through my first puck of classic brand shaving soap. I have enjoyed it but it seems that the lather has gotten flatter as the soap is shrinking. Could be my technique but I am just curious about creams. Any suggestions would be great. I am anxious to try one out and compare to the soap. Thanks

Some ideas to consider - Musgo Real, Speick, Proraso, La Toja or maybe one of the English Cream - there really are no shortage of options for you to consider.

Too late, but RR XXX. I bought a used tub from a member here, but I am freaked out when it comes with hairs in it. If you want it Rudd, it's yours. Just PM me your address.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A tub of cream lasts a long time. I suggest you try a couple of sample packs. Two I can easily recommend are T&H and Queen Charlotte Soaps. Reasonable prices and a reasonable quality for your trial. Colonial Drugs in Boston is the only place I know for a Castle Forbes sample.

Kiss My Face cream Sprouts or other whole foods type stores...its very gentle, moisturizing and gives a great shave.

I've only used two different creams so far, but both were wonderful. Shulton Old Spice from India (via the bay) and C.O. Bigelow (which is actually Proraso Green). The Old Spice lathers well, and smells divine. The Proraso also performs VERY well, smells great, and leaves your face feeling awesome!

I would say try Art of Shaving travel pack, and some samples from Trumpters, T&H, and Queen Charoltte Soaps. Gary's sample shop, check out Vender section on B&B, has some poraso samples.

Currently, I really enjoy AoS Lavendar after applying shave stick of Harris Arlington, and Red Proraso after applying an Arko shave stick. Lather explosion.

P

pdillon

The AOS cream and Speick cream are two of the finest products I have tried.

You're opening the floodgates around here if you ask people to make a cream recommendations without any other guidelines. I think some of the best advice I can give one something like this is to order some samples - maybe from Garry's sample shop. I'd spend a week straight using each cream to really get a feel for how they lather, how they smell, and how they affect your skin. Then, I think you'll come up with a handful that you love, or a group of scents that you like that'll help you narrow down your search for creams that are good for you. As always, YMMV.

With that disclaimer, I'd highly recommend any of the Castle Forbes creams - they lather easy and smell great (to me). Anthony Logistics makes a great peppermint and hops cream that I love too. AOS sandalwood is a great performer and gets a lot of love around here. Same with the Prorasos - Red and Green. I don't think you could go wrong with any or all of those.

Good luck on your quest to find new, exciting creams!

Thank you everyone. It looks like I am off to Gary's sample shop. I have lots of suggestions to try out.

So far my favorite creams have been Truefitt & Hill, Al's Shaving, and Proraso red (sandalwood shea). I'd have to put Queen Charlotte in 4th.

I've always had better luck with creams then soaps. I just love the way creams come to life in a bowl for me. I can get a decent lather with soap but it takes me twice as long. My favorites are Proraso and the line of Kiss My Face products. I have even whipped up some Nivia Moisture Cream with a brush.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a sampler pack. I suggest TOBS.

TOBS Almond and Avocado, Speick, and Proraso have never given me problems in making a great lather.
Castle Forbes is also a winner, but it is a little pricey.

if you are doing the same number of brush circles or passes over your pucked soap the bristles on the brush will be having less contact with the surface of the soap due to it contracting meaning you are gathering less soap than before. either that or you are rushing this part of your method. maybe you are also adding too much water compared to the reduced soap thus flattening out your lather...

my advice is to use more product and your former results should return. good luck.

Top Bottom