What's new

Calling all Italian members…

I Just read a thread about a member’s father who used laundry bar soap to shave with in the old days. I thought it was interesting and decided to purchase some for fun.

I am in Canada and all I could find was a bar of “Authentic Italian Linda Laundry Soap” from a company called Aurora Importing and Distributing.

What I found odd was the vague ingredients list…>30 % soap, other components: perfume, limonene.

So my question to the Italian members is if they know of this soap, is it well regarded, and if italian wrapping has a more complete ingredients list.

Grazie.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've tried the Mexican ZOTE pink laudnry soap. It's OK, Williams type citronella scent.
Huge 13 oz bar, used to be a dollar, now more like $2 at the Mexican markets.
Could be used in a pinch, I'd rather use some real shaving soap.

Pretty good ingredient list, not sure what the optical brightener is ...

sodium tallowate (animal fat), sodium cocoate, Citronella oil (fragrance), glycerin and optical brightener

Not Italian, grew up in heavy Italian neighborhood, even was offered job to assist or Olive Oil Industry collector.🔫

Have used bath soap to lather face with then shave.

Results.👎

I've been wanted to try REDBUOY from the UK for years , the shipping is way too expensive to the U.S. ....... Redbuoy is the original " LIFEBUOY " formula which originally contained carbolic acid . I love the scent and the cleaning power in the bath . Carbolic acid soaps for bathing are banned in the U.S. and the UK so the Redbuoy must be labeled " laundry soap " ..... I've heard from Brits that it gives a nice shave , not to mention a germ free shave ...
Screenshot 2023-11-06 100238.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-06 095349.jpg

Thank you all for your replies.

Initially I was going to purchase some Sunlight bars but couldn’t find them in store.

Linda soap was the only one available and was curious to get some specific comments about it…especially the componets missing in the ingredients list.

Finally decided to give Linda a shot :ihih:

I first used it as a kitchen hand soap
for a week or so and found it super slick but also very drying.

Decided to bowl lather it and add some glycerine to counteract its skin drying nature. I had to go back to the bar a few times to pick up more soap in order to generate enough lather for a two pass shave. The lather I was able to generate was thin, slick and did not dissipate. The shaves themselves were actually good, but not excellent either. Post-shave I did not experience any burning or excessive drying but my skin did not feel as coddled or nourished as it usually does with my favorite creams.

I had much better experience with this laundry soap than when I last tried shaving with hand soap…but back then I was still face lathering and didn’t add any glycerine.

The smell reminded me of SC Johnson paste wax, not really to my liking for a shave soap.

Linda has been friendzoned.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Thank you all for your replies.

Initially I was going to purchase some Sunlight bars but couldn’t find them in store.

Linda soap was the only one available and was curious to get some specific comments about it…especially the componets missing in the ingredients list.
In Calgary at least, the Sunlight bars are on the shelves at Save-On stores.

In Calgary at least, the Sunlight bars are on the shelves at Save-On stores.
Thank-you for the information.

If you enjoy this soap, you better stock-up. I called Henkel North America and ask who sold the soap in my area and was told that it had been discontinued.

Ah yes - Sapone di Marsiglia. It is a staple product here in Italy. Many, many brands available here, but this is one exampe:
1700224135810.png

This brand (foto above) is a bit perfumy, but I use it for bathing as the smell washes off, and list it as an example because it's labelled for clothes washing / personal use. I would imagine it could be used for shaving (I have not tried it, though), and in fact, it would be more appropriate than other types of soaps due to the mildness.

Here's the one I use (below) most often - only for bathing, which is much less perfumed, and therefore, I would be more inclined to use it as a shave soap:
1700224560145.png

Finally, I would be happy to give it a go (maybe even both brands above) and post the results if there is interest! Let me know!

Last edited:
Finally, I would be happy to give it a go (maybe even both brands above) and post the results if there is interest! Let me know!

Thank you StubbleTrouble, but Linda satisfied my curiosity for a good long while.

My grandfather used chicken cutlet grease

You just want me to rub chicken grease all over my face don’t you? Sorry, not biting:001_tt2:

Winni shaved me 🤩

I grabbed the Winni's soap (see above in the thread) and lathered it up in the same fashion as always for a shave today. Long story short, I purchased a bar in a discount housing goods chain out of curiousity and am using it up in place of my preferred marsiglia (also see above). I'm not crazy about the scent, but it doesn't linger, so there.

I got a thick lather sufficient enough for a three-pass shave, but, unsurprisingly, not as rich as shaving soaps. I did two passes and got completely acceptable results, not that my expectations were set terribly high.

The take away for me is that it confirmed for me that it can be used effectively for shaving, but it doesn't break any barriers.... Proraso or other common shave soaps here are not much more expensive (and of course much more my fancy), so no epiphanies to be had. I will also tell anyone here that I have used non-shaving soaps more times that I can count, but this is probably the best "of those" I have tried.

Good! Similar conclusions to what I had with Linda.

At least now we know what to use in a pinch or should hard times befall us.

Top Bottom