What's new

One More Flatboy Review

I’ve used it a few times. It’s very efficient. I need to use it on multiple days growth which I don’t have a lot as I shave every day. It’s a good deal for what you get. If you like a well supported blade look elsewhere.

It is a smooth shaver that for me takes a bit more concentration than my other razors.
Cool!
I became curious about it (again) after reading this thread. A few months ago I read about it on other threads and saw 50/50 comments. That steered me away from buying one. But my interest once again has piqued. I'd hate to overlook something based on some people not liking it. Sometimes certain things could end up being something great regardless of the negatives that are posted. The unique design, Made in Italy, blade forward, agressive, brass head and lower price point make it interesting.
The blade support thing doesn't bother me. I personally don't see the difference in any razor that supports well or not. I guess that's a big issue for some!

Cool!
I became curious about it (again) after reading this thread. A few months ago I read about it on other threads and saw 50/50 comments. That steered me away from buying one. But my interest once again has piqued. I'd hate to overlook something based on some people not liking it. Sometimes certain things could end up being something great regardless of the negatives that are posted. The unique design, Made in Italy, blade forward, agressive, brass head and lower price point make it interesting.
The blade support thing doesn't bother me. I personally don't see the difference in any razor that supports well or not. I guess that's a big issue for some!
From what I recall you prefer a more blade forward razor. The Flatboy is definitely up your alley there. I really haven't given it a fair shake since I shave most every day. I tried shaving with it daily when I first got it and it was just a bit too much. Now, if I shaved every other day, it would be a better fit for me. I do use it on those rare occasions when I skip a day and it does provide an excellent shave. Tough to go wrong at its price point.

From what I recall you prefer a more blade forward razor. The Flatboy is definitely up your alley there. I really haven't given it a fair shake since I shave most every day. I tried shaving with it daily when I first got it and it was just a bit too much. Now, if I shaved every other day, it would be a better fit for me. I do use it on those rare occasions when I skip a day and it does provide an excellent shave. Tough to go wrong at its price point.
Blade forward meaning?

I wrote back in September about my interest in the Flatboy. For some reason I forgot about it and focused on other razors. Well, I just ordered one from Shave Nation!
Interesting tool: brass head, stainless handle, Made in Italy and $43. Seems worth it for experimentations sake since I do like aggressive razors. I'll post a follow up when I get it!
I bought the one with this handle:

full

Make sure that the blade doesn't "frown" (curve downward)
Yeah, I've read about that. I read somewhere else (I think on a YouTube review) that some people weren't loading it correctly, then I read that they were overtightening it, then others said they didn't have the issue and then I read that new batches have been fixed, LOL!!
So who knows!! We'll see when I get it. I'll see if it's got the issue and if it does, I'll play around with it to see. Worse comes to worst, it goes back for a refund/replacement!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, I've read about that. I read somewhere else (I think on a YouTube review) that some people weren't loading it correctly, then I read that they were overtightening it, then others said they didn't have the issue and then I read that new batches have been fixed, LOL!!
So who knows!! We'll see when I get it. I'll see if it's got the issue and if it does, I'll play around with it to see. Worse comes to worst, it goes back for a refund/replacement!
I do like the looks of it!

Never had a problem at all. However, you do have to be a bit careful loading the blade to get it to set right. When taking it apart use a towel, the rounded covered tabs could present a bit of a problem when wet.

Congrats @LRod - you will find it a fun expansion of your collection. I find it to be a very effective razor when paired with the right blade. If you get the right combination you are looking at a maximum of two passes to BBS or very high levels of DFS. At least for me.

Guido

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
What I find quite dangerous: It's rounded, so screwing the head in and out I am wary of slipping my fingers into the blade. This wasn't a problem for the head when it was "side mounted", but now it is a DE head.
Razorock lupo's head also has a side curvature.
So I changed my technique of assembling and disassembling the blades to "two fingers under the base plate, and the thumb presses the cap". Since then, I don't have to worry about touching the blades with my fingers, and I apply it to all DE.
FLUFFY WHITE CAT-christmas.jpg

The Flatboy head I have has been retired as well...the blade frown issue makes it too troublesome to use. It is possible to tighten it "just so" so there's no frown, but it's a lot of trial and error and I'm concerned about the handle getting loose during a shave.

Iridian

Cool and slimy

as it was a bit harder to find for myself than I expected, here it is.

Yes, the Flatboy head of mine does the same to the blade when you fully tighten the handle. It seems it should not do this. (A defective manufacturing run? Don't know)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yes, the Flatboy head of mine does the same to the blade when you fully tighten the handle. It seems it should not do this. (A defective manufacturing run? Don't know)
Beat me where I found it, but some people found a statement that this got corrected in the next run, so yeah.

Beat me where I found it, but some people found a statement that this got corrected in the next run, so yeah.
I had read that somewhere (I think on a YouTube review) that the issue had been fixed. Problem is, what version will I get? Maybe it's an older one, maybe not! We'll see!

Top Bottom