What's new

One & Done Club

Couldn't help myself. Used a Derby twice. But it wasn't a perfect shave and left me wondering if it would have been better with a fresh blade. Tomorrow!
Imagepipe_0.jpg

Couldn't help myself. Used a Derby twice. But it wasn't a perfect shave and left me wondering if it would have been better with a fresh blade. Tomorrow! View attachment 1852014
My best shaves are always with a fresh blade. Similarly, my worst cuts were with blades used more than once.
Giving the above some thought @Eric_75 and I have been forced to conclude that.... Life is too short for crappy shaves. YMMV of course.

Thanks! I confess I'm a bit of a skeptic. Do you all ever go to bed at night wondering if that blade might be better on the second use? It might keep me awake.
Not me. I’ve tried all the DE blades in my stash beyond one use and the only one that is always as good beyond that is Kai. Sometimes if I’m only doing 1 pass with a blade that’s difficult to replenish (Russian manufactured ones) I use it a second time. The only DE blade I’ve found gets better after 1 use is the Bic CP and that’s only because an inordinate number of them were outright unpleasant on first use for me. It’s not worth suffering through a bad shave to get to a good one when there are many options I find great right from the first pass.

Not me. I’ve tried all the DE blades in my stash beyond one use and the only one that is always as good beyond that is Kai. Sometimes if I’m only doing 1 pass with a blade that’s difficult to replenish (Russian manufactured ones) I use it a second time. The only DE blade I’ve found gets better after 1 use is the Bic CP and that’s only because an inordinate number of them were outright unpleasant on first use for me. It’s not worth suffering through a bad shave to get to a good one when there are many options I find great right from the first pass.
Definitely some synchronicity here. Earlier today I happened to load a Bic CP for Monday's shave. I haven't used one of those blades in years so I'll defintely approach with caution.

Paul

Definitely some synchronicity here. Earlier today I happened to load a Bic CP for Monday's shave. I haven't used one of those blades in years so I'll defintely approach with caution.

Paul
It wasn’t a massacre or anything, but I found them rougher than most other blades I’ve tried on the first pass or so. After that they became very nice, similar to a Feather. I’d just rather use a feather since it is good right out of the wrapper, as is the Bic Astor.
My Yaqi Tile eats blades. Can get several shaves from a blade normally, but the Tile is 1.5 and done.

It is kinda weird. Must be the fixed angle.
I think there is something to that. The Henson razors and my Blackland Era also deteriorate the edges quicker. I think it is to do with the rigidity. The Hensons (and I assume the Tile) do this with the severe blade bend and the Era clamps very close to the edge. I wonder if there’s a correlation there. Maybe razors that allow more blade flex or ”chatter” are easier on the edge.

I haven’t experimented with my vintage Gillettes to compare and I’m not sure it would matter for me either way. My beard is very thick, coarse and fast growing.

It wasn’t a massacre or anything, but I found them rougher than most other blades I’ve tried on the first pass or so. After that they became very nice, similar to a Feather. I’d just rather use a feather since it is good right out of the wrapper, as is the Bic Astor.

I think there is something to that. The Henson razors and my Blackland Era also deteriorate the edges quicker. I think it is to do with the rigidity. The Hensons (and I assume the Tile) do this with the severe blade bend and the Era clamps very close to the edge. I wonder if there’s a correlation there. Maybe razors that allow more blade flex or ”chatter” are easier on the edge.

I haven’t experimented with my vintage Gillettes to compare and I’m not sure it would matter for me either way. My beard is very thick, coarse and fast growing.
The Tile has positive blade exposure as well as the blade juts out a bit. Maybe the point of attack from the hair on the blade is very focused on one angle (30% ish). With Soloedge and Twig I have not had this issue and they are also fixed. Could be that they are at a shallower angle?

One and done, Gillette SharpEdge.

Upon close inspection my headshave this morning wasn't as close as I would like. Loaded a fresh blade and one fantastic pass got me to where I need to be.
Also this gave me a chance to test my travel brush with a shaving stick. Worked like a charm.

IMG_7119.jpg

So you used it for multiple shaves? If so, wrong forum for that!!
It’s all good - a few of us post the occasional “Two and done”!
Frankly, it is a pity such a fine blade is one and done. She got legs! She knows how to use them!
It’s funny how differently people experience blades. For me the Bic CP is one of my least favorite. I find the first shave subpar and don’t like putting up with it to get to the good shaves when there are blades that are good right from the first use.

In any case the real ethos of this thread is “Life’s too short for crappy shaves”. People who enjoy multiple shaves per blade should totally do that!

Top Bottom