What's new

One badger to last

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a relative newbie to the wet shaving world having only been doing it for a couple months but switching from an electric razor I have to say I'm loving it! I'm still not fully into it yet though as my kit is pretty sad:
  • Sensor Excel/Mach3
  • Musgo Real (bowl lather)
  • "Ever~Ready 250D" boar hair brush I got from my wife's grandma
But this Christmas my wonderful wife knew I was really getting into this wet shaving thing and got me a real DE, the Merkur Futur! I'll be ordering a blade sampler pack (suggestions welcome!) today and I'm now looking for a real badger brush. I was hoping to get some suggestions from yall on a good badger brush that will hopefully be my last (trying to avoid SBAD as best I can, heh). Here are a couple notes to hopefully narrow it down for you guys:
  • $100-$150 (possibly up to $200 but that's pushing it)
  • bowl lather creams (all I've done so far, haven't tried face/palm lathering or soaps yet).
Please let me know if any other information would be useful. I've been reading a lot and it looks like Simpson and Rooney seem to be very popular.

Thanks!

It depends what you want in a brush - softness, backbone, aesthetics? A good quality boar will make the same quality lather for $20, that a $150 silvertip will.

You pay extra for materials and luxury, not outright performance.

Welcome to B&B! Congrats on the conversion. Even if you never got another soap or cream, you would be well taken care of by Musgo Real. With the budget you list, just about anything is possible. A Simpson Tulip or Persian Jar in Super would handle bowl lathering creams easily. A Rooney 3/2 in Super would be very nice as well. The Savile Row 3824 in Silvertip is an amazing brush with creams (soaps too!) as well. Or, you could select 2-3 lower cost brushes in the mid-grade range and sell the ones you don't like. Also, consider restoring the vintage Ever Ready and replacing the knot with new boar or badger.

Last edited:
Beginish always gives great advice... I am primarily a bowl/soap latherer . If you have large hands a Milkchurn is absolutely astounding on creams and the Tulip handles both soaps and creams with equal gusto. Also a restored handle is great... so the Everready could get a face life..... Welcome aboard

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not exactly sure what I want in terms of softeness and backbone because I've only used the one boar hair brush so far. I understand that it's something that should be considered but unfortunately I just don't have the experience to know =\.

A couple questions about the Simpsons: What size would be good? Looks like the Tulip only comes in super but the Persian comes in best and super. is Super always better? I'm reading a lot of threads that love the chubby and the duke. Are the tulip and persian recommended for me because of bowl lathering?

Also, what's a good place to purchase any of these brushes (Simpson, Rooney, Savile Row)?

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help for a new guy =D.

Super may not always be better. Simpsons Best knots are really nice and make for a great value. Especially in your proce range. You can get some of the larger handles in best that might suit your needs. Just keep in mind that badger hair grades are not consistent across vendors. A Rooney in best isn't necessarily the same as a Simpsons in best. Lots of reviews of brushes here in the forums. Don't rule out the boars either. If you happen to like your boar brush now, a higher end boar brush might be something to look at. You might be able to get one of each.

Most vendors will have the sizes of the handles and heights of the lofts. It sounds like you are more concerned with the size of the handle perhaps. Try and get a guess as to what geometry might fit in your hand comfortably, for example is something bigger or smaller than say a salt shaker?

Since you are ready to make a commitment to a $100 to $150 dollar price range I wouldn't be afraid of calling a few vendors that associate themselves around here to get some advice as well.

Now since you mentioned bowl lathering and creams, I like to use a handle with a little length to it. I personally have an Simpsons Emperor 2 two-band super. It's a great knot, handle has some length so I am not feeling like I am putting my hand in the bowl. It lets me get a good mix going on the lather.

Welcome aboard! The Simpson Commodore X3 is a great brush for what you want to do and bring you in well under budget.

The thing is that many of the terms being used like backbone and loft won't mean much without some experience. You may not find THE brush up front so stay under budget and try a few, if you can, and go from there.

Welcome!

There are lots of great brushes in that price range. As with anything else, only trying a few brushes will really show you what you like best. I ended up preferring Muhle brushes. I haven't tried lots of brushes but I thought Vulfixes were too floppy and loosely packed while Rooney brushes were too stiff and dense. The grade of badger hair doesn't make a dramatic difference in the use/performance of a brush, what's important is the loft and how dense it is.

I say narrow it down to size and style you think you'd like and then spend a good amount of time in the reviews section. Good luck!

I'm now thinking I want a more all-around brush because I think I'm going to experiment with soaps and different types of lathering. I'm leaning towards the Simpson Duke 3 in Best. Where's a good place to purchase this brush? Thanks!

I'm now thinking I want a more all-around brush because I think I'm going to experiment with soaps and different types of lathering. I'm leaning towards the Simpson Duke 3 in Best. Where's a good place to purchase this brush? Thanks!

I got mine from West Coast Shaving.

The reason I mention them is that for their Duke 3s, the loft varies considerably and that might make a difference to you. I don't know of other merchants that measure their brushes.
A variance in loft sizes never occurred to me, but considering that these are hand-made, it's not surprising.
The 5 shown have these lofts.
Approximate lofts of 46/51/51/47/51mm
This is a variance of only 5% from the average size ... I think that is within tolerance for a hand-made product, and should not impact performance very much.

another thought, if you like to mostly bowl lather creams, is to get a vulfix super for around $60. I have a 2234, and it is very soft and flexible, and some guys here are gunna say that it is "floppy", but that's not necessiarly a bad thing. For lathering creams in a bowl, you wont find a better brush than that. I use mine on hard soaps sometimes too, it works fine for that also, and you can save some money to pick up some more soaps and creams.

another thought, if you like to mostly bowl lather creams, is to get a vulfix super for around $60. I have a 2234, and it is very soft and flexible, and some guys here are gunna say that it is "floppy", but that's not necessiarly a bad thing. For lathering creams in a bowl, you wont find a better brush than that. I use mine on hard soaps sometimes too, it works fine for that also, and you can save some money to pick up some more soaps and creams.
I'm not sure of the model number, but I have a Vulfix Super travel brush that I'm very happy with ... lathers up soaps and creams quick and easy, feels nice and soft on the face.

I have purchased from Phil at BullGoose Shaving with great service and good pricing on items:thumbup1:. Check him out at http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/index.html to see the Duke 3 in Best. On his site you will also see a brush - Simfix Grosvenor LE in 2 band Super that is an awesome brush.

I highly recommend you get two brushes; one badger and one boar. The boar will be great for face lathering, and will be much different than a nice badger. It will cost $30 or less.

I suggest the Semogue 620, which is amazing. And if you don't think it's amazing you can sell it on the BST and lose only $5 on the deal.

I using the Semogue 620 and Semogue 830 exclusively right now and love them. BTW, the Semogues are nothing like your Ever-ready.

Top Bottom