What's new

On the draw of a strop

Having only used an English Bridle, I've been mentally building a list of things to look for/ask about when it's time to treat myself to a second strop. For me, the degree of twist along the length when taut and rate of build-up on the finish are becoming more important factors. I always thought a fast/light draw might be the best happy medium because you can always slow down if you like, now I'm not so sure. The variety of steel types makes a big difference too.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I am one who likes a faster slick strop for light, full hollow razors and slower, heavy draw strops for the old "meat choppers" and other heavy weight razors. Same results no matter what draw I use but a heavy razor just feels more natural when the slower strop sort of puts the brakes on the stropping speed.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I have a selection of vintage shell strops that I have resurfaced and have almost no draw at all. A couple of them have perfect, unmolested reverse sides that I've resurfaced with 1000 grit w/d so they still have a little nap to them. Perfection for heavier grinds. I haven't used a lot of different materials so I really don't know what I'd prefer. Certainly willing to try new things though.

I prefer like draw, especially for heavy draws such as 1/4 hollow or bear wedge. The hollow razors perform just as well. I had a heavy draw logo and wasn’t impressed with it. I am I. The process of acquiring some like hht to medium light strops currently and see how I get on with those…

All this talk of draw and I decided it was time to try a roughout horsehide. I ended up ordering a plain not because I'm cheap (ok, I am cheap) but because of the really cool color variation in the hide. Anybody who's seen my razor pics knows I love imperfect things. Tony said it was the softest of the three pieces he had.

I also keep eyeing the other piece of cowhide I have. It's glassy smooth right now. Maybe I'll do it up and try it that way first before I go to the trouble of soaking it and stuffing it.

The plain roughout arrived yesterday. Didn't have time to do much with it until tonight. I swapped out one of the dee rings for a larger one so it can hang on my doorknob. I absolutely love the feel of it, stropped a couple of full hollows and the wedge in the photo. I also am really liking the color banding.

20220301_201119.jpg

It's not significantly slower on the draw than my cowhide strop but it obviously feels much different. It's also softer and more flexible.

Top Bottom