What's new

On loan from a generous B@B member, the Pre-2011 R-41 has arrived!

Earlier this week I posted a request for suggestions for a razor more suitable for my beard type than the DE89L I was using. Having a thick heavy beard I was finding that while the 89 was smooth and comfortable to shave with it wasn't very efficient at removing my beard and I was hardly using it at all in favor my my TracII which, while not as elegant as a DE was getting the results I was looking for. The 89 was my only DE razor in my den and I had been feeling a longing to find a DE that would produce the results I was after. In midst of the comment thread LittleLebowski offered to loan me his Pre-2011 Muhle R-41 thinking that this might just be the kind of razor I need. I was hesitant to take him up as Open Combs and I have not had a good relationship in the past. After a little thought I decided to take him up on his offer. The Pre-2011 R-41 sent to me on loan by LittleLebowski arrived in the mail yesterday. He also included a 5 pack of Voskhod's for me to try. We had dinner at a friend's house so I had to wait until almost midnight before we got home so I could admire it. It really is a beautiful razor. I've always loved the way open comb razors looked but had never had any success in using them. My attempts to tame both the Old Type and the New were abysmal failures. The R-41 is a different sort of animal. I began my shave this morning not being sure what to expect given my previous experience with open comb razors. I was very pleased as I began my first pass. I didn't feel that this razor was the wild beast those old Gillette OC's are. I won't say it's a mild razor but I won't say it's aggressive either. I would categorize this as an efficient razor. It is definitely more aggressive than the EJ DE89 which was my previous razor. In comparison with some other razors I've tried like the Merkur 34C and the 38C this razor is much more forgiving. I found the very prominent feel of the blade on your face that the Merkur's give to be un-pleasant while at the same time not being very efficient at removing my beard. I also found those razors somewhat un-forgiving. I could not use a Feather at all in either of those razors without lots of nicks and weepers. I could use Feathers very easily in my 89 and Super Speeds which I've owned previously. The R-41 feels to me like it's somewhere in between the DE89 and the 34C in aggressiveness but it removes my beard better than either of those did. After three passes plus some touch up under my chin I have a very smooth, close shave. It's effective without being harsh. Lately I've been favoring my Merkur MII handle with the Wilkinson Sword TracII replacement cartridge. The results are just what I like in a shave. I can get a smooth, close shave in just two passes( WTG, XTG) plus a little blade buffing on one area under my chin on the left side where the hairs lie flat. It took three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG) with the R-41 loaded with a Voskhod to achieve the same results but unlike the DE89 I was actually able to achieve the same results. For some reason blade buffing with the DE89 felt a bit like I was scraping my chin but with the R-41 it was smooth as butter. I also really like the slimmer head profile of the R-41. My mustache grows right up to my nostrils and it's always been a bit fiddly trying to knock down the whiskers in those tight spots under my nose. The head profile on the R-41 let me get to those very easily. The handle is also very nice. It's lighter than the EJ handle and I think the razor has a better balance. (As a side note the threading on the EJ handle always fit the post of the head cap a little loosely until the razor was tightened up. The R-41 threads feel very precise with no wobble at all while tightening up the head.) So far I really like the R-41 but this was only my first go with it. I figure it will likely take about a week or so to really find the sweet spot for this razor and then I'll be able to make a better assessment. I also want to try it with my Astra's and I may have to order some Feathers so I can try those in it as well. I've also got a Slim coming from the Great White North that I traded my DE 89 for that I would like to compare it to. Stay tuned for updates as I continue my R-41 adventure. As I learn this razor I hope my efficiency with it will improve as well. Thanks again to LittleLebowski for his very generous loan. I think I'm really going to enjoy the time I'll have with this razor.

Attachments

• $P1010854.jpg
    $P1010854.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Opps i missed the pre 2011 heading, just saw the picture. :eek:/ sorry about that. Excellent Review :eek:)

Last edited:
Glad you like the R41, but just a heads up, that is not the R41 2011 head, you got the older model which is alot and i mean alot more milder then the 2011 R41. Otherwsie your preview would of been about some nicks and weapers if your not taking your time and using right angle with the 2011 R41. But either way if that model R41 did it for you Then im glad you found something that works for you, but the agressive model R41 we talk about is the 2011 model. :eek:)

The title of this thread reads "Pre-2011" R41. He knew exactly what he was posting about.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nice review, Foyle.
I'm crossing my fingers that you're getting closer to finding a razor that works for you as a daily shaver. I haven't tried the Voskhod blades myself yet (someday though), but I think the blue+pink Rapiras and the Ladas are made in the same plant and both of them work very well for me.

I really liked my R41 2010 model (which is what yours is called). I found that it liked Derby blades the best which was super cool considering how inexpensive they are. You may find that for your beard, that razor/blade combo is not the ticket but you might want to give them a shot if you decide to stick with an R41 2010.

I sold my R41 2010 a few weeks ago on B/S/T because I just did not use it enough to justify keeping even though I really liked it.

Voskhod teflon blades are one of my "top shelf" blades too

Well, it's 11:26 pm and my shave is still pretty close. Of course there's a little stubble I'm feeling now but I think by morning it won't be a big job for the razor to give me another close shave. Lots of times I think I've gotten a really close but then evening comes and the beard starts coming in much more than it should telling me I didn't do as good a job as I would have liked. Today it looks like I did alright with the R-41.

Today I shaved with my newly acquired 64 Slim Adjustable. I began by setting it to 6 and loading it with an Astra SP. During the first pass, WTG, the Slim really knocked down the bulk of my beard with great efficiency. I believe that 6 is a little too aggressive a setting for me however. During this pass the blade felt a bit uncomfortable on my upper lip. During the next pass, XTG ear to nose, I got a nick on my cheek. This confirmed the setting was a touch high and I clicked it down to a 5 and finished my shave at this setting. Blade buffing the trouble spot on my neck proved to be trouble free and I finished with a nice close shave.

My Musgo Real after shave is getting a workout today though as there was a touch of razor burn. This is something I have not experienced with the R41 so far but I must confess the Slim was slightly more efficient at cleaning up my chin than the R41.

The razor burn may have just been due to having the razor set too high. It's interesting that the gap of a Red Tip is the same as a Slim set at 3. The next shave I have with this razor I may turn it down to 3 just to see how this does. Right now it seems like 5 is a good setting and possibly I may need to move it down to 4. I can't see myself using it on a setting like 7 or 8.

There are many more shaves inshore for the R41 with some different blades. I found shaving with the Slim a little more automatic as it's overall design is more similar to what I'm already used to in safety razors while the R41 is more like an Old or New type. There is very little gap between the blade and the comb but there is more blade exposure beyond the tangent than you might have on something like a Slim or the DE89. This requires a different technique which so far hasn't been difficult to adapt to.

The one thing I did notice so far with the R41 is that I got some razor bumps on the corner of the left side of my mouth during the first XTG pass. Perhaps my angle was a little off, perhaps the Voskhod is the wrong blade for me, but these still haven't gone away completely and I used the R41 both Saturday and Sunday. In spite of my over zealous setting on the Slim this morning the offending area hasn't been adversely affected at all. In fact it's not more irritated in anyway and the razor bumps are almost completely healed.

So far my most trouble free and reliable shaves are coming from my MII with the Wilky cart. Having the blade angle permanently set really helps one get consistently great shaves day in and day out. This has made me more than once consider ditching the whole DE thing completely but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. I really enjoy DE razors and using them but I'm also not satisfied when I have a poor shave or irritation.

I've been getting great over all shaves with both the Slim and the R41, better than I was getting with the DE89. Hopefully the shaves to come will prove that one of these razors can become my daily shaver. The R41 is so far a smoother feeling shaver. I need to make sure that I can avoid those razor bumps I got on the corner of my mouth and if I can do that the R41 maybe the clear winner.

Tomorrow I think I'll try the R41 again.

Yeah, I need to get some Feathers. I won't be able to get any until probably next month but it's on my list. After another shave or two with the Voskhod I'm going to try an Astra which I think is almost as sharp as the Feather but a little smoother.

Today I had my third shave with the R41 and the Voskhod blade. I lathered up with my neglected puck of Tabac as I've been on kind of a cream kick for the last few weeks. The blade started to tug about half way through the shave so I took it out and put in a two shave old Astra SP and finished up the shave. The Astra was very smooth and I noticed really continued to knock down the stubble without pulling. Three passes and some blade buffing and I have a nice smooth shave.

I am really surprised at how nicely the R41 blade buffs. I don't even feel the blade when I'm doing this with this razor.

No razor burn at all today and I have a nice smooth shave. I really think that yesterday's razor burn left by the Slim was simply due to having it set too high.

The R41 is really a very enjoyable razor to use. I can't wait to see how it will perform with a fresh Astra or a Feather. I'm going to leave the Astra that's in it now loaded up until the blade dies. It seems like the sharper blades are going to really shine in this razor.

Great report Foyle, the 2010 R41 was no slouch and I still run it through my rotation every now and again just to feel the difference between the DE89 heads and other razors.

Had another shave with the R-41 this morning. It went a little rough. I got a couple of nicks as well.:sad: I'm finding the Slim much more intuitive and it so far is providing the results I'm looking for with less effort. After three passes I still had some roughness on the end of my chin. This has been a trouble spot that the R-41 has struggled with consistently since receiving it. Usually I dab a little lather on there and continue to work the R41 over it until the stubble is gone. This morning I elected to put the Slim to work on it and it knocked down the remaining stubble with no effort at all.

As nice as the R-41 is I think I'm beginning to find the Slim is beginning to out-perform it. The adventure continues. I plan to give the R-41 several more attempts with some other blades just to give it a really fair try.

I'm not upset that it's not "The One" for you Foyle but am pleased you are trying other blades with the 2010 R41. Blade and razor pairing is key with any razor.

After trying the R41 with a Feather I've finally reached my conclusion. The R-41, as nice as a razor as it is just doesn't perform as well for me as my newly acquired Slim even with a Feather loaded in it. The Slim just feels smoother and actually shaves closer with less effort. I had some really nice shaves with the R41 though and I thank LittleLebowksi for the generous loan. I must say my foray with this razor was far more successful than my previous attempts with open combs. The New and the Old types were real blood letters. The 2010 R41 is much more forgiving and probably not as aggressive.

I'll be getting it back in the mail to him in the next couple of days. Thanks again LittleLebowski! Much appreciated! :badger::badger::badger::badger:

Top Bottom