What's new

Omg! Simpson!

It's hair, so all you need is shampoo or dish soap if you feel a need to clean them. I've never done vinegar. The key to maintaining badger brushes is rinsing them thoroughly so they don't build up a residue. I rinse mine under running water for some time. I then soak them in clean water while I finish my post shave routine, then rinse them under running water again. With this procedure I've never had to clean a brush with shampoo, dish soap or anything else.
+1

Ok, it performance with creams was so-so. So this morning I decided to break out the Arko. WOW! This is the absolute best brush I have ever used with soap, nigh unto perfection! Very little work and a whole ton of lather. I became giddy as I watched my Arko overflowed with so much lather. And then to brush it on my face was also, perfection.

So now I get it; why folks spend so much on Simpson's. They're just awesome!

I can say that I have used Hyrdrocide to disinfect shave brushes with no apparent ill effect to include discolouration. It is blue like Barbicide but I believe it is intended for brushes specifically. I picked up a small bottle at Sally's for way less than ten dollars. I have seen it mentioned that Barbicide is the only disinfectant that will not turn green or brown with age. I will have to check my bottle of Hydrocide since it is well over a year since I bought it. I can tell you if you follow the mixing directions you will never use it up at home. I suspect that Barbicide would work the same but who knows? Disclaimer: If you use these products and your brush turns toilet bowl blue or spontaneously combusts wel, stuff happens. So please bear that in mind. My brushes suffered zero ill effect but yours might. I followed the ratio suggested and soaked them for 10-15 minutes. It just gave me a sense of comfort to do it.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Top Bottom