What's new

Omega Midgets - Mixed vs Silver - which is best travel brush?

I wanted to get solicit feedback on the Omega 11047 vs Omega 599 brushes, also known as the Mixed Midget (11047) and Silver Midget (599). As far as I can tell both brushes share the same short handle and knot size, so this is a mainly a question about performance or suitability.

For years I have used a small synthetic brush as part of my travel kit but I was looking for something a bit nicer to use without taking up much room in the dopp kit. When flying or pseudo backpacking I want to minimize the size and weight of gear being carried. Where an Omega Midget and a slice of shave stick (or sample size) would help towards the goal of shrinking the dopp kit.

I am tempted to get a mixed midget due its to low price and high praise. But I hesitate for two reasons:
  1. I much prefer badger over boar. I never cared for the stiff and soft feel of boar. It is unclear if the mixed midget has enough badger hair to overcome that sensation. For those who own all three types what is your impression of the mix?
  2. Time required to dry. I have never paid close enough attention to my boar vs badger brushes but some posts that I have read lead me to believe that a boar (thus a boar mix) would take longer to dry. Would a Mixed midget take significantly longer to dry than a Silver midget? If one is packing up to leave right after shaving it probably does not matter. So perhaps it is more a question of dampness after 4-8-12 hours of drying.

I can help somewhat as I have a 599 Silvertip that I rotate among my travel brushes.

It is one of the nicest Silvertips I own (and I have several in my 45+ brush collection). The quality of the knot is in the same league as my Kent BK8 (but much smaller). If you like a very soft cloud like feel of an exceptional Silvertip, then this is the brush for you. If you like something a bit stiffer then you should keep looking.

One of my nicest travel brushes is an AOS temporary (about 15 mm) reknotted from the junky "pure" to a TGN Finest. If you are after a firmer brush then you are looking for something more like this.

I had a mixed midget but after a couple months found I didn't care for the knot so I steamed out the mixed knot and replaced it with a TGN synthetic knot and now I use the brush in my regular rotation and not just traveling. Not to mention it dries in an exceptionally stupid fast time period!!
20170202_153859-1.jpg 20170202_155159-1 (640x414).jpg

I was just about to ask why not a synthetic brush? So read the post properly.

But as fsr as your choice between brushes, Im in the mixed midget camp. I have one and use it in my rotation. Its softened up quite a lot since purchase a few years ago. Dries quick but I do have good warm air flow in my den / cave. Price wise its excellent and darn good quality.

Thanks for the feedback. I am in no rush to purchase but I think I will eventually get a Mixed Midget since it is different from my other brushes. I am not dissatisfied with my old style synthetic but I have used it for so long that I am looking for a change in pace.

Top Bottom