What's new

Olympus Pen EP-5 Users

I have read that the EP-5 has an HDR bracketing mode. Can you explain the difference between that and regular AE Bracketing?

also, do you find that the 4/3 sensor can make great prints up to 12x18?

Mike,

I am not a user but I would think that HDR Bracketing will allow you to make many more exposures than you could in a normal Bracketing Mode. When shooting for HDR images, it is common to make 10 or more exposures in order to properly expose all areas of a scene. Normal Bracketing on the other hand may allow you to shoot one or two frames slightly over- and under-exposed when you are unsure about a scene.

to add to what djh said, HDR bracketing would take shots with the purpose of eventually combining them together for an HDR (high dynamic range) picture. Normal bracketing will just automatically take a few shots one or two stops over and under expoed so you can choose what you like in the end.

Normal AE bracketing basically comes from 35mm film photography where someone would expose film at different recorded settings if it was a difficult lighting situation. That way, they could develop the whole roll the same way (as opposed to what a photographer may do when shooting LF film in sheets, and would be able to tailor the development of a single sheet of film according to the exposure they were able to get).

Hey Mike,
Here's what I found regarding the difference:

Exposure bracketing - 2, 3 or 5 frames in 0.3/0.7/1.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 0.3/0.7EV steps selectable
HDR bracketing -
3 or 5 frames in 2.0/3.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 2.0EV steps selectable.

I have an Olympus E-P3 and E-M5 and have done a bit of HDR work. There is no set number of frame that you need for HDR post processing. The scene really dictates how many bracketed shots you may need to cover the dynamic range. Sometimes I've used 3, sometimes 5. The post processing software doesn't really care either. I use Photomatix, and finish up in Photoshop.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom