What's new

older razors better then newer ones?

I've been shaving with a de razor for the past few weeks. I've been using the merkur 34C but today I decided to try my 61 fatboy. I had a much better shave with the FB set on #3 then I ever did with the 34C! Do you think my technique improved or the fatboy is a far superior razor to the 34C?

The older razors do seem to be better made but I still get my best and most comfortable shaves with my Futur or my EJ DE87.

The Fat Boy, surprisingly, gives me the most uncomfortable shave of all my old Gillettes, with the Slim the best of the old 'uns!

Different razors, different faces.

Gareth

i love the shave i get with my gillette super adjustable but i'm not sure it's "better" than what i get with my modern razors

one things for sure, blades that suck in my modern razors perform pretty darn well in the oldies

I had a Fatboy and disliked it very much, YMMV. You're comparing an old adjustable to a new non-adjustable, an apples and oranges situation.

Lots of guys here like the vintage razors.

I have a half-dozen contemporary razors and they provide excellent shaves.

If you find something you like, shave with it.

I would say different razors..different blades and the shave they produce when used together...if a Merkur razor doesnt work with an EJ handle..might work with a SS..just my $.02

The older razors do seem to be better made but I still get my best and most comfortable shaves with my Futur or my EJ DE87.

The Fat Boy, surprisingly, gives me the most uncomfortable shave of all my old Gillettes, with the Slim the best of the old 'uns!

Different razors, different faces.

Gareth

It depends on what you mean by a "far superior" shave. I like my vintage Gillettes--'47 Aristocrat, '47 Fat-Handle Tech, and '57 Ball-End Tech--more than my Merkur 33C, which is the only "new" razor I have, or have ever tried. All these razors are capable of giving me an excellent, meaning close, shave depending on the blade I use; however, the Gillettes are significantly smoother than the Merkur regardless of what blade I use, and this is why I prefer the Gillettes. Your technique has probably improved over the past few weeks and this is contributing to better shaves:thumbup1:, but, at the same time, the Fat Boy may be better suited to your shaving style and desires.

As for which of these razors is better made, I actually do not see a difference between them. My Merkur is 15 years old, and this may be the reason for the lack of disparity in quality between my Merkur and Gillettes. I have read complaints on B&B regarding Merkur's quality, and, perhaps, the poorer quality is indicative of the Merkurs manufactured more recently.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
IMO, yes, vintage razors are better build... However, there are *excellent* and very well built razors that are in production today that shouldn't be overlooked!

I'm sure the quality control was much better when your older razor's were made, but I've gotta agree that some of the brand new ones are very nice too.

I think in the old days they recognised that people had different styles of shaving, so they tried to make razors tailored to those styles. Hence red tips, blue tips, and adjustables.
I'm not convinced that any are functionally superior to the others (or newer razors), but choosing the right one gave you a good shave out of the box rather than having to go through a learning curve to get the best from the razor.

Everybodys face is different so the results will be also.

IMO the older razors were better built and have a better feel to them. I've owned and sold many razors but always have vintage in my collections. Rarely have I kept a modern one and most often regrett even buying them.

The fatboy was one of the best produced razors ever... does that mean older are better? Tough to say, but doesn’t the saying 'they don’t make them like they used to' apply to pretty much everything these days. Look at cars as an example. These days manufacturing is about saving money... back then, it was about building/creating the best possible product so maybe older ones are better after all.

Personally for me, there is no comparison in closeness or comfort between a 34 and a fatboy, or a tech, or a slim adjustable, or on OC Old Type, or New Type, or superspeed... They all beat the 34 into the ground in every respect from build quality to closeness and comfort. It's like comparing a nice shiny new Yugo car to a Mercedes with a little mud on it.

I don't think you are imagining the better shave from the vintage razor, I think it just works better for YOU (and me)

Myself I don't own a new razor, I like the character of the older razors. I image they probably could tell some good stories.
My favorite older ones are Bostonian, 40's SS and Fatboy.

Someday I would like to try a new razor but probably not for awhile.

I think whatever works best for you is the better razor.

eastomjac said:
vintage wins every time in my house

+1. The best shaves I've ever gotten have been with my vintage '60 Fat Boy and '62 Slim Adjustable -- much better than any of the modern day razors I've tried, regardless of blade choice. There obviously is no right or wrong here. Admittedly, this is a highly personal response and your results may vary widely from mine. I think it's more a matter of what you get used to, being able to perfect your style with your choice of favorite razor, whatever that razor might be.

The combinations of blades/facial structure/razor/technique /adjustable are toooooo many to make a judgment for me. I can say that I shaved with a '67 SS and it was a far better shave that a modern Merkur 180 but cannot come close to my Futur or Mergress.

Those of you favouring the vintage razors - presumably you buy these from Ebay or similar - I imagine that the quality of the razor could vary considerably. So you could easily fork out a lot of money for a dud, right?

Top Bottom