What's new

Old vs New Astra SP Blades

I just got exactly the same from Amazon UK. Also dated 12/19.

Shaved tonight with one and it felt exactly same as my old Astra SP stock.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Following with interest! :popc: :popc:

I (fortunately) have a good stash of the ‘old’ Astra SPs, but may need more one of these years.
To me Astra have changed packaging... Again.

Noticeable Changes:
1. Laser etched blades are no more. They have reverted back to the black printed blades again.
2. The blade numbers have appeared again.
3. Blade is in branded wrapper.
4. Tuck has manufactured code and date on side.
5. English wording on packs.
6. Glue spots seem larger.

Can you confirm the date stamp on the side of the tuck?
6/12/19
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My bad - I am using the last of a tuck dated 5/27/16!
The box I bought off Amazon some weeks ago I haven't used any of the blades yet.
Photos below:
On the left tuck dated 5/27/16.
On the right new box of tucks dated 6/12/19.
Left tuck lazer etched.
New box of tucks are printed.
Sorry for any confusion.
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Date on my tucks are 13/02/2020. I have a tuck from a sampler pack that are the same blade and wrap, but printed 01/11/19.

The one tuck I have remaining is dated 29/06/18 and are lazer engraved. I have a 100 pack on the way from Razor Blades Club. I'll check as soon as it gets delivered.
At the end of the day, if the shave is the same, I don't really care. [emoji1696]
proxy.php

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm trying place an order on Amazon, but there are 2 different "Astra SP" -- a cheaper/more popular one ($7-8) and another ($13), links below. I'm looking for the inked blades with the printed wrappers. Anyone know which one to get? Thank you!

I'm trying place an order on Amazon, but there are 2 different "Astra SP" -- a cheaper/more popular one ($7-8) and another ($13), links below. I'm looking for the inked blades with the printed wrappers. Anyone know which one to get? Thank you!

Doug,
We bought our Astra Blades from Amazon UK. We are in the UK you see. I cant comment on stock in the USA.

The one tuck I have remaining is dated 29/06/18 and are lazer engraved. I have a 100 pack on the way from Razor Blades Club. I'll check as soon as it gets delivered.
At the end of the day, if the shave is the same, I don't really care. [emoji1696]
proxy.php

Received my 100 pack from Razor Blades Club today. They're dated 10/11/19 and are ink printed. Hopefully the quality of the blade didn't change...
20200610_000508.jpg

I found no difference between the laser-etched ones and (later-dated) printed ones.

Having "blade anxiety" in March, I got 500 of the ink-printed Astra SP, and they are perfectly good, and fine for 14 shaves, if you don't get bored first, and replace.

Things move on, and Astra SPs might not always stay this good, or available, so I bought plenty.

An old cynic writes: If you like anything that keeps, and can afford it, then buy it while you still can.

The printed 100 pack I now have is Dated 1/12/18. I'm finding these blades very consistent in sharp, smoothness and longevity. Possibly I Had a bad batch of the Laser Etched blades, the sharpness was inconsistent.

I have 150 Astra SP now, which will last me a while, as i get about 3 or 4 good shaves from each one before they start to go off, so that puts me at about 3+ years supply.

I also have about 50 old vertical Derby Extras if i need safe & smooth, plus i have about 70 Feathers left if for those occasions i end up with a few days foliage on my face !!

If all else fails and the world is coming to an end, i do have a small stock of Gillette Fusion Carts .....

I have 150 Astra SP now, which will last me a while, as i get about 3 or 4 good shaves from each one before they start to go off, so that puts me at about 3+ years supply.

I also have about 50 old vertical Derby Extras if i need safe & smooth, plus i have about 70 Feathers left if for those occasions i end up with a few days foliage on my face !!

If all else fails and the world is coming to an end, i do have a small stock of Gillette Fusion Carts .....
What happens when you run out of cartridges 🤔🤔

I never stop being amazed about how important it is to never throw away or give away any blade, at least not before a couple or three revisits.
Have thought of Astra SP as almost dull, and delivering a mediocre shave.
Tried one again a week ago, first one in probably a year.
Now I got a pretty darn good results, smooth and absolutely nothing to complain about.
I think I have somewhere around 70 tucks left, but I'm tempted to order two hundred blades just to have a good amount in stock. Just in case.

Anyway, always reme to revisit a blade you think is just mediocre. It might change your mind.

Top Bottom