What's new

Old Spice Original vs Classic

Having exhausted my supply of Old Spice Original (the supply was considerable), I went to my local grocery store to pick up a bottle until I could try a few new brands. The bottle I purchased said Classic instead of Original, and when I got it home, I noticed that it smelled entirely different and was even colored differently (Original had a gold color and this classic was clear).

Doing a little research, I found the following bit on wikipedia:

In early 2008, the original Old Spice scent was repackaged as "Classic Scent," both in the after shave and cologne versions. Both products were reintroduced in plastic bottles in lieu of the original traditional white glass bottles, with the stoppers in the top of the product red instead of gray.

I have to say, I'm disappointed. I've been an Old Spice man since I started shaving.

Is Old Spice Original available anywhere? Oldspice.com only shows Classic. If not, what do you gentlemen recommend for an Old Spice man now that Old Spice isn't the same?

Get thee to a Family Dollar store and pick up their generic Ivy Club "Spice" aftershave (comes in a plastic white bottle). The scent is closer to the Old Spice Original than the current "Classic" Old Spice.

It should set you back about a buck fiddy.

Have you tried the cologne? I use it as an AS. It smells like the good stuff. I must say, however, that I have not yet bought any of it in the plastic bottle, so I cannot say if it has the same scent as the glass cologne.

Has anyone tried the CVS brand. There are no family dollars in CA. The bottle looks the same but not as cheap.

I haven't tried it (never cared for OS myself, I know, gasp)... but the Indian/shulton version is supposed to be the original-est formula. I can't think of any suppliers at the moment, but I know one or two were mentioned here. Try a b&b search (and also a plan google search) for "shulton old spice" and you should be on your way.

I haven't tried it (never cared for OS myself, I know, gasp)... but the Indian/shulton version is supposed to be the original-est formula. I can't think of any suppliers at the moment, but I know one or two were mentioned here. Try a b&b search (and also a plan google search) for "shulton old spice" and you should be on your way.

This Indian seller on e-bay has it, but at a pretty high cost. Maybe you can combine items, and save on shipping?

They also have boatloads of interesting Indian shaving creams!!

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Beauty-and-Fitness-Mart

This stuff is very good and worth stocking up on if you get any
Any idea where, Hugh?

I picked up the OS deodorant today on a whim, and it smells like I remember OS smelled. But that was a long time ago, my old man used to use it. You can get the latest recipe AS just about anywhere, but the original Original would be nice to get.

Get thee to a Family Dollar store and pick up their generic Ivy Club "Spice" aftershave (comes in a plastic white bottle). The scent is closer to the Old Spice Original than the current "Classic" Old Spice.

It should set you back about a buck fiddy.

+1 - best $1.65 I've ever spent.

i found three big, unopened boxes of the glass-bottled shulton at a local mom/pop pharmacy - dated 1993. they have all kinds of weird vintage aftershaves and colognes that have been sitting on the shelves for god knows how long. so i bought them out.

point is, visit those drugstores you might have otherwise ignored. you might be surprised what you find.

The glass bottle P&G version is almost as good as the old Shulton and there are tons of those available, even NOS Shulton is still out there on eBay and old pharmacy stores, etc.

Yes go to some English sites.
The difference in appearance;

100ml, glass, Original:
$018034_1_Old_Spice_After_Shave_Original.jpg

100ml, plastic, Classic
$700723_1_Old_Spice_Aftershave_Classic.jpg

West coast shaving has the shulton stuff. Its $8 bucks a bottle, so its only really worth it if you are getting other stuff too.

I got some with my last order to get the free shipping, and I think it's awesome.

I have the small red bottle from India that I use frequently and I also have another 50oz bottle on the way from West Coast shaving as we speak. I'm a younger guy and I really like this scent since my grandfather wore it, but I love the Fresh Lime scent as well and use it just as often.

Top Bottom