What's new

Old Man Rant

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A rant filled thread. how did i miss this?
Back to the rants .Ill focus on cvs but the same has happened at Walgreens when picking up a prescription.
I always wait at least five feet or so behind the person in front of me when they are being helped at the counter. I see many people do this too but many don't. Why do some people come right up behind me when im called up to the counter ?
people are so anxious about waiting in ine the just advance up regardless but if i say something then im being rude
why doesn't cvs put a wait here line??

I will be here......
OK, Preidy, I've got a few moments while waiting for an appointment:

A number of years ago I walked into an Arby's for lunch and on the menu board it lists a regular roast beef sandwich as $1.99. So, heck, let's call that $2 per sandwich. I ordered two sandwiches and the cashier said that would $6.56. Thinking she thought I ordered three I tried to correct her and said that I only ordered two sandwiches. She looked at the cash register and then up at me and said this amount was correct for two sandwiches.

At this point I calmly (to my credit) told her that a single sandwich was $2 so two sandwiches would be $4 and that there was no way there would be an additional $2.56 in taxes for the meal. As God is my witness she turned the cash register around so I could see it. In a slightly louder voice I told her I didn't care what her register said there was no way that two $2 sandwiches would cost $6.56. I am less calm now. At this point a manager comes over to see what the "discussion" is about and, of course, he found that the cashier made a mistake and then I was then correctly charged $4.15.

What scares me the most about this story was the lack of common sense exhibited by the cashier. We all can make mistakes, but to think that two $2 sandwiches would come up to over $6 is not reasonable. Do people just blindly do whatever their machines tell them to do? I am an electrical engineer by training so have a fair amount a math under my belt so even though I use hand calculators and other software for computations I always ask myself if this result is reasonable? I can make an entry error or bad assumption as easily as the next person, but we need to be able to recognize when this happens. I'm afraid this skill has been largely lost because we allow machines to think for us too much.

In any case, I've never been back to that Arby's.

Last edited:

A number of years ago I walked into an Arby's for lunch and on the menu board it lists a regular roast beef sandwich as $1.99. So, heck, let's call that $2 per sandwich. I ordered two sandwiches and the cashier said that would $6.56. Thinking she thought I ordered three I tried to correct her and said that I only ordered two sandwiches. She looked at the cash register and then up at me and said this amount was correct for two sandwiches.

At this point I calmly (to my credit) told her that a single sandwich was $2 so two sandwiches would be $4 and that there was no way there would be an additional $2.56 in taxes for the meal. As God is my witness she turned the cash register around so I could see it. In a slightly louder voice I told her I didn't care what her register said there was no way that two $2 sandwiches would cost $6.56. I am less calm now. At this point a manager comes over to see what the "discussion" is about and, of course, he found that the cashier made a mistake and then I was correctly charged $4.15.

What scares me the most about this story was the lack of common sense exhibited by the cashier. We all can make mistakes, but to think that two $2 sandwiches would come up to over $6 is not reasonable. Do people just blindly do whatever their machines tell them to do? I am an electrical engineer by training so have a fair amount a math under my belt so even though I use hand calculators and other software for computations I always ask myself if this result is reasonable? I can make an entry error or bad assumption as easily as the next person, but we need to be able to recognize when this happens. I'm afraid this skill has been largely lost because we allow machines to think for us too much.

Sounds like someone forgot to reprogram the registers for the sale item, maybe someone like the manager.
dave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Sounds like someone forgot to reprogram the registers for the sale item, maybe someone like the manager.

Most people dont count. They just hand the money over. Texting keeps their minds off things lol.

At this point I calmly (to my credit) told her that a single sandwich was $2 so two sandwiches would be $4 and that there was no way there would be an additional $2.56 in taxes for the meal. As God is my witness she turned the cash register around so I could see it. In a slightly louder voice I told her I didn't care what her register said there was no way that two $2 sandwiches would cost $6.56. I am less calm now. At this point a manager comes over to see what the "discussion" is about and, of course, he found that the cashier made a mistake and then I was then correctly charged $4.15.

Great story, I agree, and you stole my thunder. I'am not an engineer but in my past life (1980-2000 - retired now) I knew and worked with several eng types. The old guys grew up using a slide rule and were always leary of the computer. They always voiced concern about the new guys coming in because "crap in and crap out". What ever the screen said that was the answer. The old farts could just look at the number and based on experience just know it was off. Now I know times have changed for the better tech wise (I still miss the typing pool) but as you pointed out it's a tech reliance problem with the new folks. Screwing up a Big Mac order not a big deal. Building a bridge with miscalulations - no good.

How many decades has it been since a cashier in a fast food restaurant enter the price of an item into a cash register? A single button or code maybe, the cash register, computer enters the price.
dave

I have a new rant. I went to the gym and wanted to use the Hammer Strength decline press machine. This man is using it and I ask him how many more sets he has. He replies three. A sign on the wall next to the machine tells members "not to hog a machine" and to re-rack all weights. I return in 15 minutes and he is still sitting there playing with his cell phone. I leave and return in 20 minutes. Same scene. I would have asked him if I could work in but he has three 45 weights on each side. Ten minutes later I see this man do a partial rep - he moves the weights about 2 inches - grunts, and leaves the machine with the weights on them.

:lol:

That seems to be universal. You're on a kinda long trip, and you get behind someone on a two lane highway that is driving 10-15-20 mph below the speed limit in a no passing zone and then when they get to a passing zone they speed up to 20 mph over the speed limit. And then there are the people that are on a four lane highway that run right beside someone else doing the same speed and you are blocked from passing...even though several states have passed laws against that. Sometimes I wish I could still call in a marked unit to make a stop for me.
Even on the interstates, you have a truck going 65 mph being passed by another truck going 66 mph. I'm a big fan of cruise control too and invariably the vehicle I am passing speeds up.

Folks that have no concept of “speed limit” is my rant. I encounter it every single day to and from work. Every. Single. Day. It’s the most annoying part of my day - the drive to and from work.

You got folks that will do 60 in a 50. And then not pick up their speed when it changes to 65. And then when it changes back to 55 they are doing 65.

There is ALWAYS someone that is doing 40 in a 30. And then 50 in a 55. And then 60 in a 65. And then 65 in a 55. So they pass me. Then I pass them. They they catch up and pass me again. Then I pass them. Then they pass me. And I know they are the idiot because I have my cruise set the entire time.

Or you got folks that will do 50 in a 55. And when it changes to 30 they will go 40.

Then there are those that will do 60 then 65 then 50 then 55 then 45 then 65 then 50 then 40 then 55 then 65 then 60 then 55 then 60 then 50 then 40 then 55 then 65 all when the speed limit is 55.

It’s impossible for a guy to use their cruise control!

Yes.

This.

Every.

Damn.

Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to my rant. How come the bank teller can count out your money, but the drugstore clerk hands you a huge folded receipt and a wad of uncounted bills topped by a pyramid of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies?

And why does low sodium vegetable juice cost more than high sodium juice?

And why do drivers race toward a red stoplight?

Mac

#1) Bank tellers are required to count EVERYTHING. Regular clerks aren't.
#2) Juice almost automatically comes with sodium - to remove it is an extra step and costs money.
#3) Everybody knows red light are only suggestions! lol

I-94 near Detroit Metro Airport there is a rule. Drivers who want to go 67 mph must drive in the middle lane. Those who want to drive 80 must be in the left lane. Those who want to drive erratically at speeds between 65 and 100 must use all lanes but can only pass on the right.

The old guys grew up using a slide rule and were always leary of the computer.

I just missed the slide rule growing. When I got to high school digital calculators were just being introduced and everybody wanted one. I've picked up a few slide rules at estate sales these past few years and I'm teaching myself to use them.

But watch out if you need parts for yours or are looking for a quality old one. Those dang things are pricey!

A rant filled thread. how did i miss this?
Back to the rants .Ill focus on cvs but the same has happened at Walgreens when picking up a prescription.
I always wait at least five feet or so behind the person in front of me when they are being helped at the counter. I see many people do this too but many don't. Why do some people come right up behind me when im called up to the counter ?
people are so anxious about waiting in ine the just advance up regardless but if i say something then im being rude
why doesn't cvs put a wait here line??

You should feel free to turn around and sweetly inform the customer behind you that you may be highly contagious and they should not get too close.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
How many decades has it been since a cashier in a fast food restaurant enter the price of an item into a cash register? A single button or code maybe, the cash register, computer enters the price.
dave

Heck, the last MCD I was in about 4-5 months ago had a self serve touch screen kiosk, with a CC reader right there. My order was fulfilled without a conversation or exchange of money with a another human being. Automation folks...

Heck, the last MCD I was in about 4-5 months ago had a self serve touch screen kiosk, with a CC reader right there. My order was fulfilled without a conversation or exchange of money with a another human Automation folks...

Anyone remember the Automat? NY. You put in coins.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I just missed the slide rule growing. When I got to high school digital calculators were just being introduced and everybody wanted one. I've picked up a few slide rules at estate sales these past few years and I'm teaching myself to use them.

But watch out if you need parts for yours or are looking for a quality old one. Those dang things are pricey!

I have the one they took to the moon ... one of these:

Slide Rule, 5-inch, Pickett N600-ES, Apollo 13

Not that I can use it beyond basics. Tom Swift was my hero growing up; he relied on one. Don't think his pal Bud Barclay could use one, though.

Tom Swift - Wikipedia

I have no rant. They did put in the no-teller scanners at the Wallyworld in my bad part of town ... a month later they were gone!

Seems the locals just had trouble scanning their items and would throw most of them in the cart ... all the time. Ooops! "You mean that didn't scan? And that too? No I ain't stealin' - dang scanner ain't working!"

People are funny, eh?

AA

They keep adding self-scan checkouts at wallyworld, sams, lowes, on and on. I refuse to use them unless they give me a discount or pay me for using it. Trouble is at times none of the checkouts with clerks are even open! Soon they will all be self-serve.

I love self-serve checkout. I don't people as well as I should. Plus you don't have to worry about getting in a line where someone needs cigarettes, a propane tank, a money order along with some Sudafed and they want to pay for it all with their SNAP benefits.

Top Bottom