What's new

Old Man Rant

I carry a small wallet so I am always paying with (what seems to be for the cashier) odd amounts of currency and change so that I get no $1 bills back.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to "explain" why I don't want 4 ones and a handful of coins totaling the 5th dollar.

On more than one occasion I've given up completely and just walked out.

I usually do not have cash. If I’m buying $1 candy bar or a $1 hamburger or drink I try to have $1.07 ready to pay. The people in those cashier positions are trying to make money, and maybe they are grumpy because they’ve had to deal with people all day. No offense to any hardworking people, those that are working at a cash register or drive thru, at least they’re not sitting at home. I’ve seen people yell and call workers names and swear over a $10 pizza, I believe those people have bigger issues in life. In all honesty, we pay cashiers a minimum wage, so we should expect minimum service. I doubt that anyone with an ambition to better themselves would be working at those types of jobs, no offense to working people. But the question is what are you willing to do for $7.25 per hour. Maybe we should pay them $15/hour and send them to change making school, but then our burger, or soda, or gallon of milk wouldn’t be less than $2, or a sometimes less than a buck. I try to put myself in others positions and have respect for others dignity. I have also been in line when an older person belittles the young person behind the register, saying things like “you wouldn’t know how to make change without that computer”. But that’s progress, do people know how to make a cake without a box mix? Sure, but why would you want to? I guess that’s my rant.

Making change used to be considered a necessary life skill along with telling time on an analog clock, learning the addition and multiplication tables, and tying your own shoes. Many children never learn these things and grow up into adults who have to rely on calculators and digital timepieces and use velcro to secure their shoes.

I saw a news feature recently when teenagers and young adults were shown a map of the world shown in Mercator projection. They were asked to point out and name ANY country in the world. Some respondents were clueless. Some named the continents of Africa or South America, but had no ideas of which countries were there. They could not even point out the USA, Canada, or Mexico. Then along came a young teenager who had been home schooled. He rattled off a string of about twenty countries, correctly identifying their locations. If we are to compete in the world, we need better schools that can teach life skills.

Cashier here, we are taught not to count your money back to you unless you paid with a very large bill. This is from several different jobs. The good news is, nowadays, the system tells us how much to give back so there's a fairly small chance of getting it wrong.

I usually do not have cash. If I’m buying $1 candy bar or a $1 hamburger or drink I try to have $1.07 ready to pay. The people in those cashier positions are trying to make money, and maybe they are grumpy because they’ve had to deal with people all day. No offense to any hardworking people, those that are working at a cash register or drive thru, at least they’re not sitting at home. I’ve seen people yell and call workers names and swear over a $10 pizza, I believe those people have bigger issues in life. In all honesty, we pay cashiers a minimum wage, so we should expect minimum service. I doubt that anyone with an ambition to better themselves would be working at those types of jobs, no offense to working people. But the question is what are you willing to do for $7.25 per hour. Maybe we should pay them $15/hour and send them to change making school, but then our burger, or soda, or gallon of milk wouldn’t be less than $2, or a sometimes less than a buck. I try to put myself in others positions and have respect for others dignity. I have also been in line when an older person belittles the young person behind the register, saying things like “you wouldn’t know how to make change without that computer”. But that’s progress, do people know how to make a cake without a box mix? Sure, but why would you want to? I guess that’s my rant.

As a fast food worker that about sums up my beliefs as well

Yes you did.
Would what I missed be the ambition comment we are discussing? I do not believe we are ready for a living wage at all, BUT I do not think that doesn't mean it's needed. I think people often forget that minimum wage is supposed to be a living wage, and it just isnt anymore. People shouldn't be struggling to pay rent, pay bills, buy medicine, basically be punished, just because of the job they work, IMO.

One of the joys of getting old is grumbling about stuff. And there is so much to grumble about. Politicians, potholes, rap music, the price of flank steak, and of course young people. Today, however, I shall shine a light on all those cashiers who don't know how to give a customer change. You know the drill. You buy a candy bar for $1.05. You give the cashier a twenty. And then she hands you a receipt that is the size of the Constitution as it includes coupons for stuff you dont want along with a wad of greenbacks and a pile of coins. You can then stuff it in your pocket, hoping all is correct, or hold up the line to separate the change from the paper money and make some effort to see if indeed you have $18.95.

What's your rant for the day?

Have you tried the 20+0.05 trick yet?

Maths.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Due to many years in retail management (long ago), I like all my bills facing the same way. We used to insist that cashiers keep their drawers this way- it makes counting money easier. Now not even bank ATMs do this.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm not sure raising the minimum wage would do anything to improve the education system in this country. In the end, what we are taking about is math. Or the inability of some to even have a grasp of basic math by the time they are 15/16 years old.

The U.S spends $640 Billion annually (2016 DOE numbers) and a good percentage of high school graduates cannot find North Korea on a map. Or, apparently, make change from a register on their own...

I don't see how raising the minimum wage to even $50/hr would fix the issue

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Due to many years in retail management (long ago), I like all my bills facing the same way. We used to insist that cashiers keep their drawers this way- it makes counting money easier. Now not even bank ATMs do this.

I do that too, still to this day

Top Bottom