What's new

Old Man Rant

One of the joys of getting old is grumbling about stuff. And there is so much to grumble about. Politicians, potholes, rap music, the price of flank steak, and of course young people. Today, however, I shall shine a light on all those cashiers who don't know how to give a customer change. You know the drill. You buy a candy bar for $1.05. You give the cashier a twenty. And then she hands you a receipt that is the size of the Constitution as it includes coupons for stuff you dont want along with a wad of greenbacks and a pile of coins. You can then stuff it in your pocket, hoping all is correct, or hold up the line to separate the change from the paper money and make some effort to see if indeed you have $18.95.

What's your rant for the day?

One of the joys of getting old is grumbling about stuff. And there is so much to grumble about. Politicians, potholes, rap music, the price of flank steak, and of course young people. Today, however, I shall shine a light on all those cashiers who don't know how to give a customer change. You know the drill. You buy a candy bar for $1.05. You give the cashier a twenty. And then she hands you a receipt that is the size of the Constitution as it includes coupons for stuff you dont want along with a wad of greenbacks and a pile of coins. You can then stuff it in your pocket, hoping all is correct, or hold up the line to separate the change from the paper money and make some effort to see if indeed you have $18.95.

What's your rant for the day?

LOL I agree. My wife says I'm usually right but my delivery needs lots of work. BTW next time hand them $20.05 and see what happens.....

shavefan

I’m not a fan
At the grocery store, I seem to always pick a line that puts me behind someone who pays by writing a check . Not only that but they don't even start the check writing process until their total is presented. Really? Didnt want to go with at least filling out the date, payee, memo, etc. while waiting? Drives me nuts.

Another "waiting in line" irritation... At the drive through ATM I seem to always pick the lane where someone in front of me is, I don't know what, taking out a 2nd mortgage? Seriously, what are you doing at an ATM that takes 15min to complete the transaction???

Last edited by a moderator:
At the grocery store, I seem to always pick a line that puts me behind someone who pays by writing a check . Not only that but they don't even start the check writing process until their total is presented. Really? Didnt want to go with at least filling out the date, payee, memo, etc. while waiting? Drives me nuts.

Another "waiting in line" irritation... At the drive through ATM I seem to always pick the lane where someone in front of me is, I don't know what, taking out a 2nd mortgage? Seriously, what are you doing at an ATM that takes 15min to complete the transaction???

It's a small world. I feel your pain. At least at the food store I can somewhat alleviate the problem but self scanning. But lately the knuckheads are starting to use it too and they can't figure out to scan their produce so back to square one. If things don't improve I may try shoplifting. They don't even try and stop those crooks anymore so what the heck....

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The coins on top of a paper tray of bills drives me nuts! I don’t want to have to cradle my change in two hands until I can safely slide the coins into a free hand (which I probably don’t have because I’m holding the thing I just bought) and slip it in my pocket. Why not just hand me the bills and coins separately? It’s much more efficient than each of us trying to figure out this balancing act.

The worst is at a drive through and within that category, the creme de la creme, is a toll booth while driving a commercial vehicle. They’re trying to hand this package of bills, receipt, and coins (that they wasted time preparing) up to me while I’m hanging out my window as far as I can and grabbing it with one hand. The best ones just hand me the bills and then the coins; it’s quick & easy without over complicating things.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I can't do a rant as it would violate the decorum of the board.

As for cashiers...I do believe they all go to the same training school that teaches them how to operate in the worst way possible.

I won’t do the automated ones. The company saves money by not paying an employee. But they don’t pass the savings to the customer.

I put it off for years for exactly that reason. I do wish it would come with a discount and/or drive prices down, but I changed my thinking after too many incompetent sour-pusses checking me out. I have gotten to the point where I do seventy percent or more of my shopping on-line. Amazon, Boxed, Newegg, etc...
I am now debating the online grocery and delivery service offered at my supermarket. That would be put me near a full conversion.

Last edited:

Another "waiting in line" irritation... At the drive through ATM I seem to always pick the lane where someone in front of me is, I don't know what, taking out a 2nd mortgage? Seriously, *** are you doing at an ATM that takes 15min to complete the transaction???
I'm with you. I was at an atm that had a curved drive so you can see the transaction of the driver ahead. I watched them try to take money out six time and each time get rejected for lack of funds. I don't know what they were thinking perhaps they had deposit elves making up for the cash shortfall at 7pm.

Our local Frys store (a division of Krogers) has the best cashiers I have ever dealt with. First, they are fast, efficient, and friendly. If there is a slowdown in a line a front line supervisor will open up additional cash registers or take you to a self-service lane and check you out. The cashiers are always friendly and even laugh at my corny jokes!

This past week there was one younger person in line who wanted to pay by check. She took a long time to write the check. The cashier apologized to me for the long wait.

Our local Frys store (a division of Krogers) has the best cashiers I have ever dealt with. First, they are fast, efficient, and friendly. If there is a slowdown in a line a front line supervisor will open up additional cash registers or take you to a self-service lane and check you out. The cashiers are always friendly and even laugh at my corny jokes!

This past week there was one younger person in line who wanted to pay by check. She took a long time to write the check. The cashier apologized to me for the long wait.

That's too far for me to go for groceries.

Top Bottom