What's new

Old hotels

Bokor Palace Hotel, Bokor mountain, Cambodia.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Peabody in Memphis is pretty cool. Nice lobby with the parade of the ducks each morning and evening. I look forward to direct flights from SW FL to Memphis beginning this fall. We also stayed at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco in 2015. The rooms were pretty small by today's standards. Top of the Mark is a cool spot to have an adult beverage. Little bit of history at each hotel.

21794B97-AF97-4B84-9FAB-FD85141ABBDA.jpeg

The Read House in Chattanooga, TN.
A favorite of Al Capone. He had his own special room with a secret entry/exit. Way cool....

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Mohonk House is an amazing place. No a/c and they make gentlemen wear a jacket for dinner.

I do not remember bathrooms down the hall though. Really great place.
A failure of clarity on my part. The old hotel in the San Juans had communal bathrooms; MMH, of course, had private baths. I get down there (the dining room, not the bathroom) every so often for lunch--a grand, though pricey, indulgence.

A failure of clarity on my part. The old hotel in the San Juans had communal bathrooms; MMH, of course, had private baths. I get down there (the dining room, not the bathroom) every so often for lunch--a grand, though pricey, indulgence.

Beautiful area. She is a grande dame.

The wife and I love older hotels. There is a quaintness and charm to the older properties that make them more enjoyable stays than those at the cookie-cutter national chains. We have spent many weekends at the Jefferson Hotel in NE TX. Also some time at the Francis Marion in Charleston SC and at Le Richelieu in NOLA. Last year we had a trip booked to the Natchez Grand Hotel (MS) but it got cancelled due to illness. Hope to reschedule soon!

The Peabody in Memphis is pretty cool. Nice lobby with the parade of the ducks each morning and evening. I look forward to direct flights from SW FL to Memphis beginning this fall. We also stayed at the Mark Hopkins in San Francisco in 2015. The rooms were pretty small by today's standards. Top of the Mark is a cool spot to have an adult beverage. Little bit of history at each hotel.
I got to see the ducks when I visited Memphis. I thought that was pretty neat.
Haven't really stayed in any traditional older hotels. Would like to try a small B&B sometime with the wife.

I've never stayed at an old hotel sadly but love the Architecture and décor. Modern places are so bland and boring.

Rosario - This one was a mansion on Orcas Island (shipbuilder Robert Moran), but became a well known resort in Washington’s San Juan Islands. I brought my own room (moored my sailboat there, many decades ago), but enjoyed the food, swimming pool, and dancing. And especially enjoyed access to some sanitary facilities larger and more stable than the head on a small sailing cruiser. A shared bathroom down the hall can be quite the luxury.
upload_2019-8-15_12-26-17.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Rosario - This one was a mansion on Orcas Island (shipbuilder Robert Moran), but became a well known resort in Washington’s San Juan Islands. I brought my own room (moored my sailboat there, many decades ago), but enjoyed the food, swimming pool, and dancing. And especially enjoyed access to some sanitary facilities larger and more stable than the head on a small sailing cruiser. A shared bathroom down the hall can be quite the luxury.
View attachment 1008288
That's the hotel I was referring to in my earlier post; I had just forgotten its name. Something I do remember, however, was the evening ceremony striking the colors--signaled by the firing of a small cannon.

That's the hotel I was referring to in my earlier post; I had just forgotten its name. Something I do remember, however, was the evening ceremony striking the colors--signaled by the firing of a small cannon.

I think they love a fine striking of the colors up in the San Juans. Roche Harbor made a big deal of it as well. I recall a bugler, taps, and maybe some local Boy Scouts. A distant echo of the Pig War?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This one is not as old as many I've stayed in at different places as Cozumel did not gain tourist recognition until after Jacques Cousteau did a documentary in the 1950s. It was the Caribe Blu when I stayed there, used to be the Lorena, but is now Blue Angel after a new owner got it and did some updates. It was basic, but had soft beds instead of the usual concrete hard mattresses, and all rooms were ocean view. Nice sunsets.

The Blue Angel restaurant right next to it is good, but there are very some good local restaurants back in the 'hood in San Miguel. One of them prepared and cooked a HUGE lobster tail from one we caught outside of the protected marine park area. This is from about 14 years ago.

proxy.php

You can just see the mainland on the horizon.

proxy.php

85 feet deep on Santa Rosa wall. That's the DM and I took that on my way down. The wall drops off to about 3,000 feet deep.

proxy.php

Blue Angel Resort – Hotel & Dive

Last edited:
The Ramsdell Inn - Manistee, MI
Hotel in what used to be a bank.

proxy.php

Chamberlin's Ole Forest Inn - Curtis, MI
Was an inn for loggers in the 1800s.
proxy.php

Hotel Monte Vista - Flagstaff, AZ
A haunted hotel of the West.
proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
View attachment 1008204

Sorry.... I could not help myself. [don't forget...."...the best place to hide is in plain sight".
proxy.php
Opps...sorry, I too couldn't help myself
]

But seriously.. El Convento in old San Juan has had a major update since we last stayed there.
proxy.php

And the venerable Broadmoor
proxy.php

Both quite an experience.
Jim:
Was the service (besides the stunning views, ambiance, elegance, food, culture etc..), what you expected of a hotel of this stature
proxy.php

Hotel.jpg
"Of course great hotels have always been social ideas, flawless mirrors to the particular societies they service". Joan Didion

Last edited:
Top Bottom