What's new

Old but new guy checking in

Hey guys, I frequented this forum a looong while back and almost exclusively lurked.

I was planning to get into proper wet shaving with straight razors but life got in the way for awhile and it unfortunately went to the wayside. Looking forward to some good discussions here, I probably forgot most of what I picked up here from a few years ago.

Anyway that's my brief introduction :) I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for me as I'm trying to put together a "kit" because I'm finally ready to get back in to this and give it a shot. Any recommendations for makes/models of an easy but fairly quality setup for a newbie as far as actual razor, mixing cup, brush, lather, strop, etc etc, anything else that I would need, or more importantly what anyone thinks I would need or would suggest to someone just starting out?

I appreciate any feedback and input

Hey guys, I frequented this forum a looong while back and almost exclusively lurked.

I was planning to get into proper wet shaving with straight razors but life got in the way for awhile and it unfortunately went to the wayside. Looking forward to some good discussions here, I probably forgot most of what I picked up here from a few years ago.

Anyway that's my brief introduction :) I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for me as I'm trying to put together a "kit" because I'm finally ready to get back in to this and give it a shot. Any recommendations for makes/models of an easy but fairly quality setup for a newbie as far as actual razor, mixing cup, brush, lather, strop, etc etc, anything else that I would need, or more importantly what anyone thinks I would need or would suggest to someone just starting out?

First of all, welcome!
Okay ... here are a few very quick suggestions. You'll get a ton more and I'm sure they'll all be good ...

To keep it simple, I'd buy one of two razors, a Van Der Hagen or a Rockwell 6C. They're different from one another (the VDH is cheaper and is a clone of the old Gillette Super Speeds from the Forties, Fifties and Sixties) but the Rockwell is adjustable using different base plates that are included.
Soap: It's hard to beat Proraso Green. It comes in a tub and can be had online from the Really Yuge Company Named After A River In Brazil.
Brush? I'd recommend a synthetic but that's a personal choice.
Finally, but maybe most importantly, the blades. You can buy somewhat expensive blades online (Gillette Nacets, for instance) but you can also buy less expensive blades that are pretty much universally praised such as the Astra Superior Platinum, Shark Super Stainless or Derby Extra.
Hanging around here is a great learning experience. You'll get a lot of great advice and learn a ton.
Enjoy!

Hello there @ryancnap and welcome (back) to B&B!

It's probably best to get over to the straight razor guys hangout, at Straight Razor Shave Clinic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/straight-razor-shave-clinic.79/

Serious and useful info will be imparted to you i'm pretty sure.

Good luck and see you around!

Top Bottom