What's new

Oil on Coti

I use Belgian hones about 90% of the time as oil stones. Sometimes I'll set a bevel with slurry and use water thats about it; the rest of the time it's oil.

Over the past month or so I have had a [for me] major break through with my Coticule.
I have one that feels like a cobble stone road like a few others have mentioned. It is an utter blade destroyer with slurry and water no matter what approach is taken. However if I use the Coti as the final finisher after every other stage it is sensational. My rotation is 1k, 3k, Jnat with slurry and only when I cannot further improve the edge do I go to the Coti with a very generous amount of baby oil and insanely light strokes. I don't count laps but this final stage on oil refines the edge wonderfully. All the keenness remains but the edge is polished to a very high degree.

i have achieved the same results replacing my Jnat in the rotation with a Cnat using a Kitta Tomo.

Without the oil the edge is visibly "hacked" at any stage using the Coticule - with the oil the Coti is the most amazing finisher I have. I also found that gently lapping the Coticule dry on a fresh sheet of 1200 grit wet and dry dramatically changed the cobble stone road feel. I have been very disappointed with my Coticule until moving to the above regime, now it provides edges that are still wonderfully keen and at the same time uber smooth.

+1 vote for oil on my Coticule.

Top Bottom