What's new

Oil Cleansing. Don't be scared!

I've been doing the OCM for about a year and half (just when I stumbled across this forum) When I started at 29 years old, I didn't have the best of skin. I've always had an acne problem from my teens. It was never that bad, but not clear. Jump forward to a year later, my skin is so nice, very smooth and NOT OILY!!! My pores look smaller, I show no acne scars, and my skin color is very even.

I wish I new about this in my teens instead of trying over the counter products that hurt my skin from excessive drying, chemical smells ect. This really should be showcased more. it's also cheaper compared to a traditional acne face wash. Now at 31, my skin looks like it's only 21 years old!

I haven't read the whole thread, but a few questions:

How much oil is used per application?
What's the shelf life of these oils?
and, has anyone tried/know about using macadamia oil?

B

BABankert

I just tried this for the first time after reading about it on this site last week. Used a 20% cold-pressed castor oil dilution in extra virgin olive oil.

I can't believe how well this worked! My skin is both dry and oily (and I have very large pores on my cheeks and nose), but this method pulled up so much dirt and grime from my skin and left it feeling soft. I'm thinking that tomorrow I will up the concentration of castor oil (maybe to 33% or so) just to see how my face handles it, but for now I couldn't be happier!

First off, my acne consists of blackheads on the nose, as well as whiteheads and tiny reddish blemishes everywhere else. A few days ago I bought some castor oil (USP from CVS, not sure if cold-pressed) and at the same time my bro brought home some new Equate "Blackhead Clearing Scrub" (2% salicylic acid, also has some abrasive in there for exfoliation). So I decided to do an experiment.

I mixed 1 part castor oil with 2 parts olive oil, and applied it to the right side of my face. Rubbed it around for a minute or so, then hopped in the shower and wiped it off with a washcloth. In the shower, I used the blackhead scrub on the left side of my face. I've been doing this for about 4 days now and the results of my study are already becoming evident: the right side of my face is significantly clearer than the left side. Since I began with the two treatments, I've gotten a few new whiteheads and red spots on the left side of my face, and none on the right side. It's like the right side of my face (getting 33% castor oil daily) has been allowed to heal while the left side of my face (2% salicylic acid and an exfoliator) has been under constant attack. Seriously, the blackhead scrub did NOTHING. If I remember correctly, other acne treatments I've used in the past (one with 10% benzoyl peroxide, another with an unspecified amount of beta hydroxy) have had no effect. OCM is the only thing that's worked for me so far. Tomorrow, I'll go full-face with the OCM, bringing my experiment to a close.

I expect the OCM to clear up everything but my blackheads, which have so far showed no sign of leaving. I'll probably wait till they're a little more exposed, then hit them with pore strips. Then I hope OCM will keep them away, but I fear they'll be back. Does OCM actually work for preventing blackheads indefinitely? If not, is there anything that does?

Luigidorf

Last edited:
I like to use the clay mask for blackheads, works well! For those who OCM once per day (normally at night), what do you'll do after physical activity in the morning or mid-day? Just a cold rinse or do you just get your OCM out of the way for the day? Thx :D

I've been using the OCM in the past with good results. I stopped because I ran out of clean towels and forgot to buy some more. I'm going to fix that.

My understanding is that soap strips the oil from skin, and if you have oily skin the body responds by overcompensating in its oil production. Soap on dry skin makes it worse since the skin already had problems producing oil before you washed it off. Soap in effect exacerbates both dry and oily skin and according to the OCM theory causes skin issues like pimples and blackheads.

Apparently, using soap is not damaging by itself, it's damaging when done outside a correct soap-based cleaning routine. Soap has quite a basic pH, so you will have to restore skin's acid pH by means of a toner (I use apple cider vinegar mixed with water), and then moisturize.

Moreover, when washing with soap, people are used to keep things too short. Last evening I watched a video by a make-up artist, and he adviced people to keep massaging soap for a minute before rinsing. I can't report yet on this, since I started following this advice yesterday evening. Interestingly, however, a cornerstone of OCM is massaging the oils for quite a while, too. And of course there are more or less aggressive soaps out there (I use Aleppo soap).

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to try OCM for the first time. One question though, on the off days that you don't use OCM. What do you use to wash your face with?

Thanks for the quick response. Funny thing is I have that cleanser, I bought the big bottle of refill haha. Tomorrow I'll be purchasing the oils. Can't wait!

Good luck with OCM. It didn't work for me after a couple of months but hopefully, it will work for you.

Really? how come? Can I use Jojoba oil? I have a ton of this stuff.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for me. Maybe it was the sunflower seed oil or maybe I wasn't using enough castor oil. I never did try jojoba oil so I may try OCM again at a later date.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use jojoba oil. I heard it's the best type of carrier oil.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for me. Maybe it was the sunflower seed oil or maybe I wasn't using enough castor oil. I never did try jojoba oil so I may try OCM again at a later date.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can use jojoba oil. I heard it's the best type of carrier oil.

I don't have a clue what type of skin I have. I know it's not dry though. What's a carrier oil? I read the Oil cleansing website but I don't see anything that says "carrier" oil?

I don't have a clue what type of skin I have. I know it's not dry though. What's a carrier oil? I read the Oil cleansing website but I don't see anything that says "carrier" oil?

The carrier oil is just whatever oil(s) you choose to mix with the castor oil. Here is a website that explicitly calls the other oil(s) carrier oil. It's called a carrier oil because it helps carry the castor oil deep into the pores.

The carrier oil is just whatever oil(s) you choose to mix with the castor oil. Here is a website that explicitly calls the other oil(s) carrier oil. It's called a carrier oil because it helps carry the castor oil deep into the pores.

I just read the website. Looks like I can use Jojoba oil after all!

Thanks for your help AABCDS!!!!

well i have been fighting with my skin for a while i never had acne but never had "clean" skin. Trust me when i say i have tried everything under the sun. so reading this i said well ill give it a try.

Today was my first run i did a 50/50 mix put it on rubbed it in, did my hot towel x2 then did a light rub with the hot towel to remove any access oil. My face feels dry and i did not notice any change i will be trying again. i hope it works because i have allways wanted nice skin. well see

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to try OCM for the first time. One question though, on the off days that you don't use OCM. What do you use to wash your face with?

I don't 'wash' my face with anything. I just use water a couple times a day whether I use OCM that day or not.

well i have been fighting with my skin for a while i never had acne but never had "clean" skin. Trust me when i say i have tried everything under the sun. so reading this i said well ill give it a try.

Today was my first run i did a 50/50 mix put it on rubbed it in, did my hot towel x2 then did a light rub with the hot towel to remove any access oil. My face feels dry and i did not notice any change i will be trying again. i hope it works because i have allways wanted nice skin. well see
it may take up to two weeks (it did for me) for you skin to fully adjust to it. if after a few days you still notice it's dry, add a little more of the 'moisturizing/carrier' oil, so as to reduce the percent of castor oil, which is the cleaning/drying agent, so to speak. During the winter months, I use less castor oil in my mix than summer, due to drier air.

Top Bottom