What's new

Oil Cleansing. Don't be scared!

Firstly, I want to thank mozart for introducing me to the most efficient skin cleansing I've ever tried.

Alot of us have this idea that we need to keep any and all oil (especially us oily-skinned folks) away from our faces. This is a very popular myth that I followed for a long time.

I have fairly oily skin, and battled with acne all the way until 20 and still have to keep it at bay at 22. The only "acne" that I have, not sure if it's technically acne or not, are these small white bumps under the skin that really aren't very visible until the skin is stretched. My face is pretty clear now, but no matter what I've done I could NEVER get rid of these things.

In the short time that I've been using oil cleansing, I have seen a marked reduction in these little infestations, along with the appearance of them. Not only that, but my skin actually looks and feels healthier at all times. Even after a hard, sweaty day's work my face skin feels nearly clean it seems. This method has also provided a healthy glow to my skin. And lastly, and this is the biggy, I feel no excessive oiliness at the end of the day. No products for me ever eliminated my skin getting oily, but even after a sweaty day I feel no excess oil on my face. Just soft and supple skin. Well moisturized, but not at all oily.

Enough of the bedtime story, this is what I do, and is pretty much similar to most other oil-cleansing methods:

1. Get yourself some olive oil, and get yourself some castor oil. Mix these two together about 50/50. Apparently the castor oil is the cleansing oil, but half and half seems to work well.

2. Generously spread it over your entire face.

3. Take a steaming hot towel and apply it to your face, just letting it sit until it cools. When it's cool to your face, remove it and use it to wipe any excess oil off. At this point I also do a cold water rinse.

4. Fin.

I do this as often as I can, usually 4-5 times a week in place of regular face cleansing. Which I do still use Cetaphil. I also use this for my hands and feet and find it to work well. I think this method could benefit just about everyone, I highly recommend trying it. It's also fairly cheap compared to buying expensive facial cleansers.

-Allen

I'm glad it works for you!

I was a bit skeptical too at the beginning, just like everyone else. However, the Oil Cleansing Method indeed is a perfectly logical way of cleansing skin. Using soap is not.

I find the Oil Cleansing Method a great way to relax in the evening before going to bed. The EEVO/castor oil mixture can be varied according to the skin type, but 50/50 is a good start. Some people also add other oils. It can be great fun to experiment a bit. I myself use a simple 50/50 mixture, but I add a few drops of some essential oil to make the whole procedure even more pleasurable.

Best - MM

Fight oily skin with oil, interesting!?!?!
Maybe, just maybe, I will try it since I have oily skin and it shows by late afternoon.

Been doing this for two days now and it is wonderful. I use a 1/3 mix of EVOO, Grapeseed oil, and Castor oil. I am beginning to get a little concerned though because I did not get cold pressed castor oil, but the regular kind from Walmart. I hope not being "cold pressed" doesn't end up being too big a deal.

Fight oily skin with oil, interesting!?!?!
Maybe, just maybe, I will try it since I have oily skin and it shows by late afternoon.

It is counterintuitive.

My understanding is that soap strips the oil from skin, and if you have oily skin the body responds by overcompensating in its oil production. Soap on dry skin makes it worse since the skin already had problems producing oil before you washed it off. Soap in effect exacerbates both dry and oily skin and according to the OCM theory causes skin issues like pimples and blackheads.

OCM only draws the oil out of the skin and replaces it with a moisturizing oil which also contains a lot of antioxidants (cold pressed oil is more likely to have its anti-oxidants intact). The antioxidants help prevent aging. The oil exchange keeps the skin in equilibrium so that it has no need to over produce skin oils.

Oils such as mineral oil are not typically recommended since in OCM you are also trying to feed the skin, therefore natural carrier and essential oils are used. Soaps typically do not give the same "feed the skin" effect, since their job is to strip the skin of oil.

Marketing has sold consumers on thinking that cleansing is not taking place if there are not mounds of lather. This allows inexpensive lathering agents such as SLS to be the core of most soaps. Natural oils of course are more expensive.

There is another thread at this link that has a lot of references for using OCM.

Wow. Thanks for the link, that's a ton of information on OCM.

Sounds like just the thing I need" I have notoriously dry skin in the winter and have been struggling to find something, anything, that helps. I gave this method a try tonight and it feels really good thus far.

Looking forward to seeing improved results!

Woohoo!

And where do you buy this Castor Oil locally? Thank you!

I got mine in a local grocery store that also sells some cosmetics. I think Whole Foods might have it as well. You could also check other health food stores and pharmacies.

Best - MM

Wow! Thanks! I would think this method would clog pores. I am going to try this out! Success stories?

I have been using this method for a over year now. I don't have the discipline/time to do it every day, but when I do, it's always a relaxing experience. My skin looks significantly better than before when I was using soaps. I don't even use shaving soaps or creams anymore. In other words, I am entirely happy with the OCM. I use soap only when absolutely necessary, which is practically never. Women use the OCM to clean off make-up. I don't think there is any dirt or grime out there worse than make-up (in terms of chemistry). So, that tells me that soap doesn't have to be used at all, ever.

Best - MM

This sounds very interesting as I am young (22) and consider myself to have fairly good skin but find my face to get a pimple or two once and a while and this ANNOYS ME! I will try this method and report back...

Well I just tried this out....made a mixture of roughly 40% cold pressed castor oil, 60% organic cold pressed EV olive oil and a teaspoon of pure tea tree extract. Massaged into face for a bit then covered with a steaming towel. I found that I can essentially create of super heated steam room inside my bathroom because my water gets incredibly hot....basically with the shower running full blast at max temp (pointed away from me of course) I can keep a hot towel over my face indefinitely while the hot steam continuously reheats the towel. Did this as long as I could physically stand it as the steam really gets hot and after about a good 15-20 min of this finished in the shower and got out.

Initial reaction is that this is definitely a new part of my routine...after this one oil cleansing pores are visibly smaller and the skin feels very clean, but it doesn't have that super dry feeling that I get when I use a face wash or the excess oily feel from not washing. My skin feels so clean that I think I might have steamed my face too long; perhaps I removed to much of the oil solution.

The benefits of this are very simple as is the concept of this method and I would recommend this to everyone. Additionally, the process logically fits into the whole shaving routine as well. Because of the effectiveness of this, people say depending on your own skin, this process may only need to be done 4-5 times per week while others might need it twice per day. I will see how I go with a single oil cleanse in the evening followed by a nice shave the following morning. I think that if you went and did a proper oil cleanse immediately before shaving and you did the steaming process correct (from what I understand, when done correctly the steaming towel should remove most if not all of the oil feeling after a few minutes), you would remove TOO MUCH oil from the skin, which is no good for a shave. With that said, I can see many others liking the benefits of this but because it takes a good 15-30 minutes, may prove to be too time consuming for some folks.

Olive oil is quite nice for skin maintenance. For a scrub, I just use olive oil and kosher salt- works fine.

Top Bottom