What's new

Oh, Did I Ever Have a Good Hunting Trip Today! / Also Need ID Help on One

My wife and I were looking in antique shops for a little table and chair for our two-year old, and we came up empty handed in that effort. But, in an out of the way little antique shop I happened across a box of razors that had a sign on it that said, "Razors, $5.00 Each." Within was the usual assortment of Super Speeds, Techs, SE's, what have you. There were even a couple of DE's from manufacturers I didn't even recognize. All in pretty rough shape, and all covered in soap scum. Digging through the box I came out with these two razors.

First: A Y2 President. It was completely covered in soap scum, and I was certain that the plating was gone from the handle. But the TTO worked so I figured that I'd snag it since it was only $5.00. I got home and cleaned it up and this was the result:

$P1020653.jpg

$P1020654.jpg

$P1020655.jpg

Yes, that's right. It's nearly flawless. The plating is completely intact. I am thrilled about this one. I've never had much success finding really great DE's in the wild. I wish I had a case for this. Maybe I can pick one up some day.

Second: I also snagged this. I'm not sure exactly how to ID this one. It says, "Pat. Jan 13 1920 U.S.A." on the bottom of the handle. There is nothing stamped on the barrel, and the serial number stamped on the blade bed has no prefix and starts with the number 3. Near as I can tell it's some kind of New Improved, but I'm not sure which model. It has almost no plating left on it at all. Can anyone tell me which model this one is?

$P1020656.jpg

So, overall I'd say I had a pretty good hunting trip.​

Last edited:
Congrats. There are lots of worse ways to spend $10.

I know that you can date the New Improved (1921-26) by serial number.

Sorry I can't be of more help on the New Improved other than to say they are great shavers.

Enjoy.

Yup, that's a standard New Improved. The names really went with the sets so, like Doug says, you can't really pin it down to a particular name without the case.

The serial numbers for the New Improveds didn't have a letter prefix, they used a letter suffix. So you should have number followed by an A, B, or C (assuming it's an American-made razor) that you can look up on the wiki.

Every time I go to a flea market or yard sale, I can't ever find any DE's at all. :blue: Quite disappointing. I want the excitement of seeing a King Gillette signature single ring marked for 5 dollars. :laugh:

Every time I go to a flea market or yard sale, I can't ever find any DE's at all.

Always ask the seller, wherever you are, if they have any. Most attach no value to them and don't put them out even though they have them. Awhile back I got a Double Ring this way.

I had my second shave with the President this morning. It's super smooth! It's a keeper for sure.

Top Bottom