What's new

Oh Deer....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Our state here is overrun by deer. Not too much hunting going on, and I have seen quite a few does in the last few years with two, and some with even three young ones. Here a few pictures from my window to the front yard and across the street. The big buck I saw a few years ago, in a park that is less than a 1/4 mile away from us.
The smaller buck was just here the other day, took his time to check our front yard out.
But, we also see a unbelievable amount of deer killed on the streets and highways. In the rutting, often we see a doe killed on the one side, and a few yards further down the buck that was after her, on the other side of the street. So far this year I counted five such pairs...
IMG_1383.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_0719.JPG

Same thing in my area. This bad boy was on my front lawn yesterday. There's one that regularly visits my backyard--my wife went out to take a picture but he started stomping his hoof and snorted at her, so she just backed up into the house! The dog doesn't even go out to bark at that guy anymore. My friends daughter hit one with her car two days ago--she's fine but the car not so much.
Image.jpeg

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Deer are lovely until they aren’t.

Before our current home, we lived in the woods for 7 years. Overrun by deer, they ate everything. Hostas. Flowers. Poisonous shrubs. You name it. In their minds, we lived on their property. A buck got aggressive with our golden retriever, and she no longer enjoyed chasing them away. Finally relented and allowed my son to shoot them with his air soft rifle. Spent $$$ on halogen headlights so we could see them better at night.

Deer. Lovely until they aren’t. Best wishes Rudy.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
We often have issues with deer overpopulation where we are.
It seems cruel to people who don't know better that culling and hunting is necessary because they have no natural predators anymore.
The automobile has become the primary predator of deer in our area.
What's really cruel is to see deer starving to death in the winter because of overpopulation.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Beautiful photos, anyways.

We have nothing but bears, rattlesnakes and coyotes... No tasty animals anymore. Our deer already got et.

AA

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We often have issues with deer overpopulation where we are.
It seems cruel to people who don't know better that culling and hunting is necessary because they have no natural predators anymore.
The automobile has become the primary predator of deer in our area.
What's really cruel is to see deer starving to death in the winter because of overpopulation.
Same here, the herd is not managed at all, hunting is not allowed in the populated areas, I guess they need to stay away from a house a certain distance. Problem is that houses are everywhere now where the living areas of the deer was...no natural predators and as Phil said, the car is the main "hunting weapon". It is really sad to see all the wasted deer on the side of the roads. A cop friend of mine is invited for a cull hunt in a lkocal park (Watchung Reservation), they close it a weekend and last year I think he took down 6 or 7 does.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I live in a county that allows archery deer hunting only. We have plenty of forest preserves with huge deer populations. Periodically USDA comes in after dark with rifles equipped with night vision scopes and silencers to do what they call deer management. Many people don’t like it and don’t understand what is necessary for a healthy deer population.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Our state here is overrun by deer. Not too much hunting going on, and I have seen quite a few does in the last few years with two, and some with even three young ones. Here a few pictures from my window to the front yard and across the street. The big buck I saw a few years ago, in a park that is less than a 1/4 mile away from us.
The smaller buck was just here the other day, took his time to check our front yard out.
But, we also see a unbelievable amount of deer killed on the streets and highways. In the rutting, often we see a doe killed on the one side, and a few yards further down the buck that was after her, on the other side of the street. So far this year I counted five such pairs...
View attachment 1360951View attachment 1360953View attachment 1360954View attachment 1360950
Those are some healthy looking deer.

We saw so much road kill in Kentucky as we drove around Bourbon Country last month, both on the highways and backroads.
050E34F4-1B4F-4E74-942A-A0C13B4AA636.jpeg

Near Maker’s Mark in Loretto, KY.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Deer are lovely until they aren’t.

Before our current home, we lived in the woods for 7 years. Overrun by deer, they ate everything. Hostas. Flowers. Poisonous shrubs. You name it. In their minds, we lived on their property. A buck got aggressive with our golden retriever, and she no longer enjoyed chasing them away. Finally relented and allowed my son to shoot them with his air soft rifle. Spent $$$ on halogen headlights so we could see them better at night.

Deer. Lovely until they aren’t. Best wishes Rudy.
Long legged rats. Destroy my garden every year. I'm gonna invest in a flood light, lol.

Seriously, the DNR in Michigan are not using common sense. Tree huggers outnumber hunters 10 to 1 at least. You can't bait hardly at all anymore. License fees are Stoopid High now....

I've hit three in my years behind the wheel.
But they are delicious.

FarmerTan

You eat Bamby! 😱
Out in the field behind/inside my woods it looks like a deer convention with all the tracks in the snow! My friend got a seven point buck.

I've got another friend with a muzzleloader I'm going to see if he'll let me borrow. Increase my odds that Bambi's mom or dad end up in my freezer.

The over population here is EXTREME for living between TWO good sized cities.

And I haven't encroached on their territory; I've lived on this property 60 years!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Long legged rats. Destroy my garden every year. I'm gonna invest in a flood light, lol.

Seriously, the DNR in Michigan are not using common sense. Tree huggers outnumber hunters 10 to 1 at least. You can't bait hardly at all anymore. License fees are Stoopid High now....

I've hit three in my years behind the wheel.
But they are delicious.
When the anti hunters lay into me I just tell them there’s plenty of room for God’s creatures right next to the mashed potatoes. The hunters I know have as much respect for the land as the tree huggers. Maybe more.

FarmerTan

When the anti hunters lay into me I just tell them there’s plenty of room for God’s creatures right next to the mashed potatoes. The hunters I know have as much respect for the land as the tree huggers. Maybe more.
Yes, Conservation means management.

Animal lovers crack me up. Having chickens while my son was young taught him that protein has a cost: life.

Every animal is potential food, and just because you got it for "free" it has a cost: the chicken gave up it's life so my family had a meal or two.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Yes, Conservation means management.

Animal lovers crack me up. Having chickens while my son was young taught him that protein has a cost: life.

Every animal is potential food, and just because you got it for "free" it has a cost: the chicken gave up it's life so my family had a meal or two.
I remember an old saying about bacon and eggs for breakfast. The chicken is involved and the pig is committed.

Top Bottom