What's new

Offensive native american mascots

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Still better than what Bears fans call the Packers.

$76513-Clint-Eastwood-YES-head-nod-gi-nzlE.gif
$post-38234-snoop-dogg-nodding-yes-gif-Img-KPHy.gif
$6dd4bcd2add71.gif

Not all ethnic representations are demeaning in nature.I think the 1928 - 1945 Cleveland Indian uniform mascots were dignified and noble.After 1945 they became cheap and insulting...

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzyt.png
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzyt.png
    305.8 KB · Views: 123

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
28 - 38 isn't all that different from the logo of the team in question.
Not much different than the Chicago Blackhawks either, but that's another matter, as the Blackhawks aren't named after a tribe, but after a World War 1 Division, who were in turn named after a Chief (Black Hawk) from the Sauk Tribe.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Pretty controversial topic here, and one close to my heart. I attend the University of North Dakota, home of the former Fighting Sioux mascot. In 2012, the NCAA forced us to remove our mascot because it was hostile and offensive. The fighting sioux mascot is and will forever be the best looking logo of all sports (IMO). The school and name are supported by the sioux people, and by the students and surrounding community. Anyone care to chime in on that.

I have mixed feelings about the case you mention here because it may not be offensive and then it may be for some as for the French origins of the word Sioux? On the subject in general I support the end of offensive mascots. I am hunka (adopted) Lakota and Sundance with Howard Badhand. At any rate I'm against appropriation of Native culture by non-natives. If it is given open handed without taking then it is not appropriating, like the ceremonies I'm involved in, then OK...we come together and pray in a good way. If not things can end up in a bad way like the Sedona guy who killed people in his so called Inipi ceremony. Being white I support my native relatives who struggle, and are hurt by, cultural appropriations, degrading mascots, etc., as they seek identity outside of a colonized mind set. Toksa ake Raven Koenes

The Dallas Cowboys!

The Latin Americans were in Texas' first. I know the Native Americans were here before the Latinos but I ain't looking up which Native American bred would have been living in Arlington and try to find out what their word for cowboy is.

The Dallas Vaqueros!!

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
As a Jew, I am offended by the word Sioux.

I know there are so many swamp living small grey brown rattle snakes in Israel. I hear they are quite the problem for so many Jews who fall into all those swamps over there they get under you feet.:wink2:

Last edited:
Not that anyone has started a petition, but this design was created for a minor hockey "Blackhawks" team. I kind of like it.

Attachments

• $hawks.jpg
    $hawks.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 79

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How is rendering a man named Black Hawk so he looks like a bird somehow better than rendering a man named Black Hawk so he looks like a man named Black Hawk?

I recall one nut who tattooed himself to look like a lizard and then couldn't figure out why nobody would hire him for a job.

proxy.php

How is rendering a man named Black Hawk so he looks like a bird somehow better than rendering a man named Black Hawk so he looks like a man named Black Hawk?

Club was actually named in honour of a WW1 military unit that the original owner served in. The Regiment was nicknamed the Black Hawks, after the individual you are referring to, which is where the logo came from. It was not until recently that the Club went back to the original "one word" name for the team (Blackhawks, as opposed to Black Hawks).

So, to answer your question as to how it is "better", it eliminates what some may perceive as an offensive image and replaces it with one that still represents the club heritage, while incorporating a more modern take on the name. the image itself was rendered by an aboriginal artist here in Canada, which is why it has a bit of a "native art" feel to it.

For the record, I am a Hawks fan, and have no issue with the logo as is. I have long held that the Chicago Blackhawks possess the finest unis in ALL of professional sports. I merely posted the image because I thought it was a pretty cool substitute, especially as a potential "third jersey".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom