What's new

Offensive native american mascots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty controversial topic here, and one close to my heart. I attend the University of North Dakota, home of the former Fighting Sioux mascot. In 2012, the NCAA forced us to remove our mascot because it was hostile and offensive. The fighting sioux mascot is and will forever be the best looking logo of all sports (IMO). The school and name are supported by the sioux people, and by the students and surrounding community. Anyone care to chime in on that.

I find nothing offensive about using a Native American symbol, or any other ethnic group, as the mascot for a sports team.

These symbols are chosen to represent bravery, valor, team spirit, victory ... what's offensive about that?

Its too bad that in our modern times, Tradition and Common Sense have to take a back seat to Political Correctness.

The NCAA will grant a waiver if the school get the support of the tribe in question, which seems fair enough.

Pretty controversial topic here, and one close to my heart. I attend the University of North Dakota, home of the former Fighting Sioux mascot. In 2012, the NCAA forced us to remove our mascot because it was hostile and offensive. The fighting sioux mascot is and will forever be the best looking logo of all sports (IMO). The school and name are supported by the sioux people, and by the students and surrounding community. Anyone care to chime in on that.

For the sake of reference, could you post pics of the old and new mascots?

I could not agree more.

Before Atlanta landed the Braves from Milwaukee in the mid-1960's, the minor league team there was called the Crackers. I think that is a great name. Sound of a well-hit ball and also a play on White Crackers. No offense to me and pretty funny, I think.

I find nothing offensive about using a Native American symbol, or any other ethnic group, as the mascot for a sports team.

These symbols are chosen to represent bravery, valor, team spirit, victory ... what's offensive about that?

Its too bad that in our modern times, Tradition and Common Sense have to take a back seat to Political Correctness.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It is an honor for badass American weapon systems, elite groups, aircraft and anything else we're proud of to be named after the Original American People.

Actual warriors rise so far above political correctness that it is correctly thought to be of no more importance "than a dog pissing on a tipi," as one scornful brave once said.

Who wouldn't want to be so remembered and honored?

"Geronimo!" was on the lips of American paratroopers as they jumped into Nazi-occupied areas. This was in honor of the fighting men of old before them: a worthy enemy once, now a part of who we are as Americans.

Some groups seek to divide us as Americans by highlighting differences. It is who we are together, now, as Americans, that matters.

So it is with the southern rebels. Let them keep their flag, I say, while truth is being spoken here. It is theirs. Their forefathers fought and died for it.

The media makes its money and increases its political masters power by dividing us into squabbling groups, each no longer considering itself American- only hyphenated-American. Who profits from us fighting each other? Only our enemies. See the truth.

AA

Last edited:
You have to be able to look at any issue from the other guy's point of view. Can I see how people who have been dumped on by the United States for the entire history of the country might not consider their use as a cartoon mascot to be very respectful? Yeah, I can. Skimming over the Wikipedia article on UND athletics, that lack of respect comes through loud and clear. It's painfully obvious why the university didn't get the NCAA waiver when other schools did.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I support the decision to change. The problem is there are still plenty of sports teams out there with ethnic derived names that must be addressed as well.
I encourage everyone to push for removal / change of the offensive ethnic nature of the teams named below;

New York Yankees
Yankee is a derogatory name for a person who lives in, or is from, the US or an inhabitant of New England or one of the northern states.

Boston Celtics
Clearly the people on the team are not all from a branch of the Indo-European family that includes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Breton, Manx, and Cornish.

New York Knicks
Knicks being a shortened version of the derogatory term "Knickerbocker" who are the Dutch who settled in New York.

Minnesota Vikings
Not everyone of Scandinavian descent is a raping, pillaging pirate.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I personally find this one outrageous. Who are they to infer that the Irish are particularly prone to violence?

University of Pennsylvania Quakers
Really? So it'd be ok to have a team called the University of Pennsylvania Bhuddists or the University of Pennsylvania Protestants or the University of Pennsylvania Shiites?

There are plenty more offensive and troubling examples, but you get the idea.

As long as there is even one person offended, our job is NOT done.
Join me brothers!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not all vikings were rapists, pillaging pirates either. Just saying.

Well, you and I know that - but by it's very definition in modern society, it has a distasteful connection.

Merriam-Webster
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/viking

Viking
noun Vi·king \ˈvī-kiŋ\
1 one of the pirate Norsemen plundering the coasts of Europe in the 8th to 10th centuries

Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/viking

Viking
[vahy-king]
noun, ( sometimes lowercase)
1. any of the Scandinavian pirates who plundered the coasts of Europe from the 8th to 10th centuries.

Thefreedictionary.com
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Viking

Viking
Vi·king (vī′kĭng)
n.
1. One of a seafaring Scandinavian people who raided the coasts of northern and western Europe from the eighth through the tenth century.

I find it offensive that the New England Patriots have an obviously WHITE guy as their mascot.

As a general slacker (I'm a Caucasian...), laze about, and all around coward. I find it an OUTRAGE that the NFL tries to make it seem as if ALL white guys should rise to the challenge of being a true patriot, fighting for their country, etc.

And let's not forget that the original patriots were also known as the "Minutemen"--ready to go in less than a minute!

Whoah now!

I gotta have some time in the morning to have a cup o joe, stagger around the kitchen a bit, try and find some socks that I haven't worn too many days in a row, etc.

Stop the madness.

You have to be able to look at any issue from the other guy's point of view. Can I see how people who have been dumped on by the United States for the entire history of the country might not consider their use as a cartoon mascot to be very respectful? Yeah, I can. Skimming over the Wikipedia article on UND athletics, that lack of respect comes through loud and clear. It's painfully obvious why the university didn't get the NCAA waiver when other schools did.

Have to agree.

The difference between this situation and some of the others mentioned in this thread is having an oppressor use the symbols of a group that they have personally oppressed. If there is still bad blood between the two, I would imagine that the oppressed side would not enjoy this practice, until there comes a point at which the bad blood is rectified. In some cases, native american tribes may have moved on and found peace with their current status, and may choose to allow the usage of their symbols. But I can't fault the tribes that chose not to.

Some groups seek to divide us as Americans by highlighting differences. It is who we are together, now, as Americans, that matters.

Therefore, we should respect the opinions of our Native American brothers and sisters, who are also Americans. If a tribe feels the usage of their name and symbols is being done in a disrespectful manner we should listen to their complaints, work together to see if there is a way to compromise, and if not, change the name/symbol. As you said, this ..."is who we are together, now..., that matters". We would - or should - do the same for any other group.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"The NCAA objects to institutions using racial/ethnic/national origin references in their intercollegiate athletics programs," said NCAA President Myles Brand.

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

I think the NCAA ought to be fair and straight forward across the board and wholly adopt the policy that they have expressed.
Why do we need ANY teams named after an ethnic or racial group?
There are plenty of possible names to choose from which do not reflect an ethnic or racial origin.

The Chicago Bears offend no one (except their fans with their level of expertise on the field).
The New York Jets don't have an offensive name.

C'mon - really? No one sees the "Fighting Irish" as offensive?

$notre_dame_man.jpg

For the record, Notre Dame used a "Fighting" Irish Terrier as their mascot till 1965 when they adopted the offensive Irishman/Leprechaun.

Just eliminate all team names that have a basis in ethnic or racial origin. Simple.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
FYI, Notre Dame Leprechaun Mike Brown was a first.

I heard an interview with him on NPR's "Only a Game" recently.

Just a hint, black Irish.:thumbup1:

Hey David!

Yes, I had heard that. Not any kind of a deal as far as I'm concerned. I'm more irritated by the logo and the name than whom they choose to represent the mascot each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom