Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
OCtober Shave # 13

Gillette New Improved Standard Razor - 1922
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
APShave Synthetic Horse Hair Brush
Wet Shaving Products Rustic Olympus
Aqua Velva Blue Ice Classic AS

View attachment 1026718

Much better DFS+ shave this morning! The first 2 days I was trying to use it like I do my New SOC. The razor seemed to resent that, it got mean and things were not working out between us.

Today, I treated it like an Old Type, using a steep shaving angle, long strokes, skin stretching, etc. This worked much better, I got a happy razor that gave me a no irritation and no weepers 2+ pass shave.

Live and learn :001_smile Based on how it looks, weight, balance, base plate design, I expected it to perform more like a New type razor and was surprised on how much it shaved and behaved like an Old Type.

have a great One! Keep on Shav'en!
Thank you for this!!! My New Improved and I have been on the "outs" for quite some time, and I think your discovery may help me patch things up with the beauty who treats me like a beast.

Flintstone65

A great (non-BBS, I might add) shave today. 2-passes (not even a PTU [Perfunctory Touch-Up] required) and I had a DFS. What could do this you ask? Was it terrific technique, a remarkable razor, a bodacious blade (awesome alliteration, right?)??? The answer is, of course, YES!!!

Introducing the Burham Open Comb -- they made an identical razor with a closed comb as well. It takes an unmodified GEM blade or a de-spined GEM if you prefer a mild shave....I like my GEM unmodified for the Burham. This is a super light 1 piece razor with no moving parts. It's easy to clean, easy to load and very easy to use. Aside from the blade feel, this is NOT an aggressive razor, but it is VERY efficient. It's one of those razors that you might pass up at the flea market, but that would be a big mistake.

Here are the details and a picture of pics (aka a collage):
Burham OC (pat'd 1909) | GEM SS PTFE (12th shave) | RazoRock 24mm Plissoft | Haslinger's Honig | Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum Aftershave
proxy.php

proxy.php

A great (non-BBS, I might add) shave today. 2-passes (not even a PTU [Perfunctory Touch-Up] required) and I had a DFS. What could do this you ask? Was it terrific technique, a remarkable razor, a bodacious blade (awesome alliteration, right?)??? The answer is, of course, YES!!!

Introducing the Burham Open Comb -- they made an identical razor with a closed comb as well. It takes an unmodified GEM blade or a de-spined GEM if you prefer a mild shave....I like my GEM unmodified for the Burham. This is a super light 1 piece razor with no moving parts. It's easy to clean, easy to load and very easy to use. Aside from the blade feel, this is NOT an aggressive razor, but it is VERY efficient. It's one of those razors that you might pass up at the flea market, but that would be a big mistake.

Here are the details and a picture of pics (aka a collage):
Burham OC (pat'd 1909) | GEM SS PTFE (12th shave) | RazoRock 24mm Plissoft | Haslinger's Honig | Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum Aftershave
proxy.php

proxy.php

Never saw one of these. Thanks for sharing. That is what makes OCtober fun, all the unique hardware.

New Wolfman and Wolf Whiskers additions to the den this OCtober.

Wolfman WR1 OC .94 with Wizamet Super Iridium
Wolf Whiskers "Eagle" Midnight Orchid with Elite Razor Manchurian White Knot
Martin de Candre Fougere Shaving Soap
Stirling Arkadia Aftershave

IMG_3761.jpeg

Flintstone65

New Wolfman and Wolf Whiskers additions to the den this OCtober.

Wolfman WR1 OC .94 with Wizamet Super Iridium
Wolf Whiskers "Eagle" Midnight Orchid with Elite Razor Manchurian White Knot
Martin de Candre Fougere Shaving Soap
Stirling Arkadia Aftershave
I was wondering when a Wolfie would make an appearance....absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

OCtober shave #15

Timeless 95 OC
Persona Red (15th)
Dove +Men Pre-Shave Oil
TBS Maca Root Shave Cream
30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
OS Type AS - Home brew
TBS Lotion

OCtober Shave # 14

Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Wet Shaving Products Rustic Olympus Soap
ClubMan!!! (its Friday!!) AS

I treated her as an Old Type and got a really nice DFS shave with 1 small weeper at the jawline under the right chin. For some reason this is a problem spot for me, and considering I have only used this razor 4 times now, a weeper there is not unexpected.

I don't hate or love this New Improved. I need some more time with it, but at this point, I like the Old Type more then the New Improved which I never expected. I guess its because with the Old Type you know what this razor will give you and you know what it will do if you are not careful but in the end, the Old Type can be controlled and give a great shave.

The New OCs are just a great razor and design, they are cuties that really want to give a great, irritation free shave. The News are my favorite vintage razor.

The New Improved razors.... Not sure, its like 70% of the time they are like a New then BAM the Old Type characteristics jump out and bite you when you least expect it. So as not to be surprised and bit, I shave with it like its an Old type, but I get the feeling I am not fully tapping into the razors potential. Its like the razor is taunting you to cross that line and risk weepers and irritation.

Normally I would just finish up 5 shaves, bin the blade, prep the razor for long term storage and put it into the "probably won't use for at least 18 months, if ever again" area of my shaving cabinet. But it intrigues me.

Have A Great One Every One! Shave ON!

I was wondering when a Wolfie would make an appearance....absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
My pleasure and this WR1 shaves beautifully.

OCtober Shave # 14

Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Wet Shaving Products Rustic Olympus Soap
ClubMan!!! (its Friday!!) AS

I treated her as an Old Type and got a really nice DFS shave with 1 small weeper at the jawline under the right chin. For some reason this is a problem spot for me, and considering I have only used this razor 4 times now, a weeper there is not unexpected.

I don't hate or love this New Improved. I need some more time with it, but at this point, I like the Old Type more then the New Improved which I never expected. I guess its because with the Old Type you know what this razor will give you and you know what it will do if you are not careful but in the end, the Old Type can be controlled and give a great shave.

The New OCs are just a great razor and design, they are cuties that really want to give a great, irritation free shave. The News are my favorite vintage razor.

The New Improved razors.... Not sure, its like 70% of the time they are like a New then BAM the Old Type characteristics jump out and bite you when you least expect it. So as not to be surprised and bit, I shave with it like its an Old type, but I get the feeling I am not fully tapping into the razors potential. Its like the razor is taunting you to cross that line and risk weepers and irritation.

Normally I would just finish up 5 shaves, bin the blade, prep the razor for long term storage and put it into the "probably won't use for at least 18 months, if ever again" area of my shaving cabinet. But it intrigues me.

Have A Great One Every One! Shave ON!

Terrific summary of the New Improved. I have similar feelings toward my Double Ring. I know there are great shaves to be had because I have had great results. I have also had bloody battles with the DR. Like you, I love the New SC. I have never had a bad shave with it and even had one replated in nickel. I had a New Deluxe in gold, loved the shave, but am not a fan of the gold. If only I could find the New Deluxe Chromium!

OCt 13

Got out one of my prettiest vintage razors, a rhodium replated Gillette NEW SC, courtesy of BST a while back.

Rapira Platinum Lux and Col Conk Amber. Nuff said.
C793813C-304F-46EC-80A6-921DE70790D3.jpeg

I have never had a bad shave with it and even had one replated in nickel.

Some very nice replated New SCs out there.

I have been thinking about getting on the cheap a New LC that has lost most of the finish and have it replated and you two are giving me great reasons to do this as my "X-Mass" gift this year. But I do really love my New SC in gold.

Have a Great One!

OCtober Shave 17

Durham Duplex “Domino” razor
NOS Durham blade
Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

I’ve had this razor for a while but never dared to uae it until now. My caution was well founded. The razor has a good design and seems very intuitive to use. The blade seemed to start out fine but before long it refused to cut. No telling how old they are. Old carbon steel blades just don’t store well. It’s pictured below with the Weck hair shaper from when I bought them.

OCtober shave #13
Razor: Gillette Single Ring
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: WCS Tortoiseshell Torch Silvertip
Soap: NO Barrbarr
Aftershave: NO Barrbarr
Bowl: CC Copper

OCtober4.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OCtober shave count: (14)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande c
Blade: Shark Platinum (5)
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Fine Lavender Pour Homme
Aftershave: Reuzel
030_50.jpg

Today was another fantastic finish to the week. Next week's line up will be the same Fatip Grande using the same Shark Platinum blade. My brushes will be my APShaveco and Maggard 22mm synths. I will use Cyril R Salter Fresh Mint for a cream, and Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum for a splash.

OCtober shave 18
Karve brass OCD
GSB
Zenith Manchurian
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
Badger preshave oil
CO9T AS
Ice cold G20 scuttle

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
OCtober 18.jpg
The Karve OCD is just a really smooth, comfortable shaver. No drama, no worries. I'll add that the Zenith Manchurian punches well above its pay grade. Overall it was a great shave for a crisp fall day.

Top Bottom