What's new

OCtober 2019

Oct 7

Razor: First issue New LC
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Tabac
Brush: VDH Badger
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

What can I say? The New LC is a great razor. Great shave no issues.

Hey Tanuki ho do you like your G&F? Wondering if you find it aggressive or mild? This is the first time I've heard of G&F. Gonna do some browsing.

I like the G&F 1353K just fine, but it has lost out in my regular rotation to razors with lower maintenance unplated SS and brass heads. That’s kind of ridiculous on my part, as my plated Merkur 36 head has had 4 decades of little attention (rinse and go) and has only minor plating loss right where the handle bears down. The plating on the G&F seems excellent.

Generally, I would call it a light, nimble, efficient OC. Build quality on mine is very good, especially given the price point. I like that there is just enough blade tab exposure on the head to feel it, without the slightest threat to fingers, etc.

The short, grippy 80mm G&F SS handle is a great one for me, it gets more use than the G&F head. They also sell a 100mm handled version.

I don’t find many DE razors to be over aggressive, so I can best rate it by saying I find it similar to my brass Karve OC-B plate, rather than trying to place it on an absolute mild>aggressive scale.

In the US it is hard to find (and generally over-priced once found). I have seen it for sale overseas, at Gifts & Care and on some low profile German websites. You can save some money (as I did) with careful overseas shopping. It is an inexpensive basic razor in Germany. I’m pretty sure the same head is on the nicer handled razors that are more generally available under the Timor branding. If a big US web seller stocked the basic G&F line, I don’t see any reason they wouldn’t compete well with the Merkur basics and EJ razors. The SS handle is a very nice feature if a shaver finds wider/heavier SS and brass handles a bit clunky.

Monday OCtober 7

Hitting cleanup, one of pride of my collection, Gillette British Aristocrat #15.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF
Brush - Rubberset 200-4
Blade - Feather HI SS (6)
Razor - 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5

Had to take a few days off from shaving - surgery on my left hand on Friday and had some pain issues over the weekend so didn't want to risk it. My 4th OCtober shave is with one of my favorite razors period; a 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15. The shave was so smooth, the razor feels so solid and has good heft. There was a little bit of blade feel (which I like) but not overly aggressive. My Monday soap was MWF and that is a very good soap - I just wish I had more. The Rubberset 200-4 brush is a little floppy for my taste but still did a good job. Post shave, the alum reported very little - one little weeper - which I think backs up how good the razor and shave were. The shave was BBS on 2 passes with no follow-up needed.

I'm not sure I'll shave Tuesday, may wait an extra day so I can look through my razors to see which one is next AND use MWF again (as if I need an excuse).

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

IMG_0954.JPG

Getting behind...

Sunday, OCtober Shave 5

Fatip Piccolo
Gillette Nacet blade (2)

Monday, OCtober Shave 6

Open comb Gem MicroMatic
Gem carbon (1)

Omega Bigger Bambino Boar Brush
Razorock Orange Sunrise soap
Dickenson's Witch Hazel for AS

Monday OCtober 7

Hitting cleanup, one of pride of my collection, Gillette British Aristocrat #15.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - MWF
Brush - Rubberset 200-4
Blade - Feather HI SS (6)
Razor - 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm

Shave rating 5 of 5

Had to take a few days off from shaving - surgery on my left hand on Friday and had some pain issues over the weekend so didn't want to risk it. My 4th OCtober shave is with one of my favorite razors period; a 1938 Gillette British Aristocrat #15. The shave was so smooth, the razor feels so solid and has good heft. There was a little bit of blade feel (which I like) but not overly aggressive. My Monday soap was MWF and that is a very good soap - I just wish I had more. The Rubberset 200-4 brush is a little floppy for my taste but still did a good job. Post shave, the alum reported very little - one little weeper - which I think backs up how good the razor and shave were. The shave was BBS on 2 passes with no follow-up needed.

I'm not sure I'll shave Tuesday, may wait an extra day so I can look through my razors to see which one is next AND use MWF again (as if I need an excuse).

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

View attachment 1023998
Lordy. That Aristocrat is one beautiful looking razor. And it looks in fine condition too. Have you owned it long? Thanks for sharing. And a speedy recovery to you!

I like the G&F 1353K just fine, but it has lost out in my regular rotation to razors with lower maintenance unplated SS and brass heads. That’s kind of ridiculous on my part, as my plated Merkur 36 head has had 4 decades of little attention (rinse and go) and has only minor plating loss right where the handle bears down. The plating on the G&F seems excellent.

Generally, I would call it a light, nimble, efficient OC. Build quality on mine is very good, especially given the price point. I like that there is just enough blade tab exposure on the head to feel it, without the slightest threat to fingers, etc.

The short, grippy 80mm G&F SS handle is a great one for me, it gets more use than the G&F head. They also sell a 100mm handled version.

I don’t find many DE razors to be over aggressive, so I can best rate it by saying I find it similar to my brass Karve OC-B plate, rather than trying to place it on an absolute mild>aggressive scale.

In the US it is hard to find (and generally over-priced once found). I have seen it for sale overseas, at Gifts & Care and on some low profile German websites. You can save some money (as I did) with careful overseas shopping. It is an inexpensive basic razor in Germany. I’m pretty sure the same head is on the nicer handled razors that are more generally available under the Timor branding. If a big US web seller stocked the basic G&F line, I don’t see any reason they wouldn’t compete well with the Merkur basics and EJ razors. The SS handle is a very nice feature if a shaver finds wider/heavier SS and brass handles a bit clunky.
Thanks for all the good info. I think I found it on Amazon for $37. I was curious to see how it compared to a 25C which I find very mild due to the small blade gap. Anyway, I like learning about new brands and this one caught my eye since it says it's German-made and at a decent price point. Have a good week!

Thanks for all the good info. I think I found it on Amazon for $37. I was curious to see how it compared to a 25C which I find very mild due to the small blade gap. Anyway, I like learning about new brands and this one caught my eye since it says it's German-made and at a decent price point. Have a good week!

That is it all right. I think I bought my 1353K from Seitz-Global, but direct. They delivered promptly and had the same eclectic merchandise mix that is now in their Amazon storefront. It’s great that the razor is easily available in the US now.

If you get one, I hope to hear your views, maybe in OCtober. The ‘new brand’ + ‘common man’ + ‘OC’ razor type is what got me to try it out. My oldest son is giving it a whirl these days. I just borrowed it back for an OCtober shave.

OCtober shave #4
Razor: Ball End Old Type
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Rubberset 153
Soap: NO Barrbarr
Aftershave: NO Barrbarr

Still playing with angle. Still enjoying the experience.
OCtober3.jpg

OCtober Shave #3

Gillette Big Boy Chromium De Luxe
Astra SP
Rubberset 400-3 Gelousy SHD
Ariana & Evans Asian Plum
Fine Accoutrements Lather Bowl

proxy.php

SOTD - 07 OCT 2019

SOTD 10072019.jpg

• Brush: Yaqi Fan 24mm 2-band badger
  • Razor: PAA OC Slant bakelite
  • Blade: Astra SP (4)
  • Lather: Lucky Tiger shave cream
  • Post Shave: Thayer's WH Rose + TJ's moisturizing gel

A Great shave. Two pass. WTG and XTG. Soap worked well but I did not put enough. I put on almond size but that was not enough for me. The brush felt great; this Yaqi brush is probably one of my favorite badger brushes regardless of its price and banality. It's about to be floppy but still gives a good scrub and whips up a good lather. Razor + blade was excellent. It's a sharp and efficient tool that can give a very close shave but I have to use with delicacy and caution. Mild post shave to wrap it all up.

Couple mail calls were waiting for me. Mainly two brush handles from Rudy Vey and Heritage Collection Shaving. Great handles that I am waiting to knot. They both feel and look nice; I would recommend both if you're looking for a custom brush maker or a vintage replica handle.

For the next shave, I'm planning to repeat a similar shave. I'll probably switch out the brush and keep everything else the same. I still have one more mail call to get to so I'll be sharing those in the near future. I am also planning to do a PIF-like post so look out for those. Again, it's good to be back shaving.

Shave of the day
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo SE
Blade : Voskhod #8
Brush: Maseto Silvertip, 27mm knot
Soap: Proraso Sandalwood
ASB: Nivea
IMG_0369a.JPG

A bit late to the party.

My last two open comb shaves.

SOTD 1 October 2019

Razor: Gillette ABC Pocket Edition with a "G" serial number
Soap and Lotion: Simply Bee
Aftershave: Blue Stratos
Brush: RVT Custom 24mm Finest Badger
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharpedge - 8th Shave

SOTDShave2019.10.01.jpg

SOTD 5 October 2019

Razor: Gillette 1931-35 British Goodwill
Soap: Bundudeard's Coffee Soap
Aftershave Splash: Blue Stratos Marine
Aftershave Balm: La Toja Sensitive
Brush: RVT African Blackwood Custom Silvertip
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharpedge - 9th Shave

SOTDShave2019.10.05.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OCtober shave count: (6)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Joris
Blade: Shark SS (7)
Brush: APShaveco Silksmoke
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Aftershave: Osage Rub
035_50.jpg

I'm in menthol heaven this week. It's a nice switch up. It is time to break out the menthol chill as winter is approaching. The shave was my quick 2 1/2 passes with a bbs on face and dfs on my neck. That's the way I like it. The Shark blade has really mellowed nicely and is in the midst of its stride on day 7. It really is a nice SS blade. I keep going back and forth between Stainless and Platinum. I guess they are both about even in my book. Platinum may be slightly more comfortable for the first few shaves, but after they hit their stride they both even out nicely.

Lordy. That Aristocrat is one beautiful looking razor. And it looks in fine condition too. Have you owned it long? Thanks for sharing. And a speedy recovery to you!

Yes, I agree. Haven’t had it long, about 4 months but it is one of the jewels of my collection! And a great shaver too!

- Ken
[emoji1690]

Shaving every day with the Gillette New Type and enjoying it.
Prorasso Red and Ogallala Bay Rum are my soaps as I work down a once bloated inventory. Nice shaves!

OCtober Shave #6

Old Type Thick Cap Ball End - No SN
Gillette Silver Blue (#1)
WCS Synthetic 24mm Brush
Martin de Candre-Lav Soap
Speck AS

ottcbe 10-8-19.jpg

First shave with this razor. The blade exposure is crazy on this razor. Took it nice and slow, mostly road the cap and got a 2+ pass DFS++ near BBS with 1 weeper on my chin (not an unusual location and expected with a new razor).

Overall a very smooth and close shave with no irritation. During the shave this razor gave me alot of blade feel (I am not really into blade feel, but what are ya going to do, its an Old Type).

Didn't seem picky on the angle and gave ample warning when I was getting into dangerous territory. But throughout the shave, it did give off the impression that it would be more than happy to cut me if I wasn't giving it respect and paying attention to what I was doing.

Overall, a really good razor that should be respected, but not feared.

Have a great-one Everyone and Shave On! :thumbup:

OCtober 8 Tabac Tuesday

Gillette Senator
Polsilver Blade 3
Tabac Shave Soap
C&E Badger in Best
Tabac AS

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a relative noob, maybe I shouldn't poke my nose in, but have you tried a steep(er) angle with the Old Type? I've found that when I try a shallow angle, especially with OC razors, there's bloodletting galore. A steeper angle, with the handle more parallel to the face (but with the blade still at a cutting angle), works really well for me. Just a thought...

Steep is not the angle I've been using, so I'm willing it give it a try. I had to make a similar adjustment with my PAL. Seemed counter-intuitive but it worked.

Last edited:
  • Parker 26C
  • Gillette 7 o'clock Green (7)
  • Cella
  • UKN boar, face lathered
  • Master Well Comb Jade After Shave Lotion
Decided to use the milder Parker 26C to give my face some rest before I resume the Old Type OC bloodletting.

This is the first time using Cella since the beginning of 2019. Considering all the praise it garners, I had higher expectations than were met. However, today's lather was stellar. Guess I found the right combination brush, soap load, water, and lather time.

Top Bottom