What's new

Occams -Hiram Commander - problems or not.

I like many purchased both The Enoch and The Hiram, and waited patiently while production problems were overcome ? I have in another post commented on the shallow retaining pins/lugs on The Enoch. Provided I get the blade correctly and securely locked down it provides a very good Shave.

The Hiram is another matter altogether, I did try it out and got very patchy Shaves. Others have a similar problem and it turns out that the standard number 2 plate fitted was poorly manufactured. Due to incorrect spacing of the blade retaining pins/ lugs a blade when fixed to them bows the creating a smile. A Shaving acquaintance also received one with a very badly bent guard bar rendering the Razor not fit for use.

It would appear that CS attempted to fulfil a backlog of outstanding orders by hastily despatching Razors without proper quality control. It would have been much better if they had worked there way the orders, ensuring only serviceable Razors were despatched.As it is they have upset customers, and their Customer Services are not good at replying to complaints or resolving problems. I am lucky as they are sending me replacement plate for The Hiram !!

I am fortunate as I have an Occams Oren that works superbly for me on a No3 plate, so I have a redundant No2 plate. A blade sits on its pins perfectly without any bowing, so without any fuss fitted it to The Hiram. I shaved with it this morning and the Shave was very smooth and comfortable, and though I felt it quite mild but the quality of the finished Shave was very good.

IMG_0458.jpg

996B001F-FFBB-4A85-B98C-FABDD03C2C62.jpeg
49FA41B5-17C4-4243-9C4B-A48B9455B040.jpeg
5196A8AD-1432-4346-8DE9-8E2825FB541B.jpeg

I'm having the same issues with my Hiram. I cannot load the blade. Fired off a couple of emails about it but no help. The gap between the head and base is different from one side to the other. Almost like the top cap is deformed. The blade will easily slip between the plates on one side but cannot be forced on the other. Unusable. I love the looked but the execution leaves much to be desired.

Today I had what was really my second proper Shave with the Hiram, having identified that it was supplied with
an ill made plate. You must ensure that a blade fits on the retaining pins easily without causing the blade to bow.I borrowed a No2 plate from my Oren -See photo

IMG_0452.jpg

That plate was easily fitted to The Hiram, and fitted with a Feather Pro blade. Both Shaves have been very smooth and comfortable, and not all aggressive. As I am well retired I did not rush the Shave, and without any problem I was able to get a very good close all round finish. Though it is early days I am finding this Razor to provide me with better Shaves than those I get with a King Cobra.

IMG_0462.jpg

The razors are beauties. I hope they sort out the quality issues, both on the manufacturing side and at the polishing and packaging side. Needs a different supplier and some tweaks to the design.

I like many purchased both The Enoch and The Hiram, and waited patiently while production problems were overcome ? I have in another post commented on the shallow retaining pins/lugs on The Enoch. Provided I get the blade correctly and securely locked down it provides a very good Shave.

The Hiram is another matter altogether, I did try it out and got very patchy Shaves. Others have a similar problem and it turns out that the standard number 2 plate fitted was poorly manufactured. Due to incorrect spacing of the blade retaining pins/ lugs a blade when fixed to them bows the creating a smile. A Shaving acquaintance also received one with a very badly bent guard bar rendering the Razor not fit for use.

It would appear that CS attempted to fulfil a backlog of outstanding orders by hastily despatching Razors without proper quality control. It would have been much better if they had worked there way the orders, ensuring only serviceable Razors were despatched.As it is they have upset customers, and their Customer Services are not good at replying to complaints or resolving problems. I am lucky as they are sending me replacement plate for The Hiram !!

I am fortunate as I have an Occams Oren that works superbly for me on a No3 plate, so I have a redundant No2 plate. A blade sits on its pins perfectly without any bowing, so without any fuss fitted it to The Hiram. I shaved with it this morning and the Shave was very smooth and comfortable, and though I felt it quite mild but the quality of the finished Shave was very good.

View attachment 1054820
Never tried an oceans. Its on my list of want to try though. Thanks for the info in your post.

Tues 28th Jan.
After my initial problems with THE HIRAM, the No2 plate was poorly made. I have had good Shaves wth it on a No2 plate. 3 Days ago I fitted it with a No3 plate [ from Oren], the blade a Proguard sat on it perfectly. Shave wise was quite a difference with much more blade feel, not aggressive but still very efficient.

All my Shaves with the Hiram had been seated down due to a broken leg. Yesterday I tried a standing up Shave which due to rushing was not quite as good as my first Shave with a No3 plate. Today was my 3rd consecutive Shave on a No3 plate. This time I made sure I did not rush, and was rewarded with one of the closest all round Shaves I have ever had with any type of Razor. With the Proguard blade on board a shave is so smooth and comfortable with not the slightest hint of any mishaps or post Shave problems.

I really enjoy using this Razor with a No3 plate, as it delivers quite special Shaves.I am rather glad I waited for this Razor to come to market, as price wise even after paying UK tax/delivery it was a bargain buy, especially compared to the current price.

IMG_0473.jpg

Fri 21st Feb.
Today I fitted a Schick Proline blade to a Hiram Commander/ No3 Plate. The blade fitted easily and sat on the blade retaining lugs/pegs securely. The Shave was smooth and comfortable, and I had no problems getting a close all round finish. Was in fact particularly good when working around the Jawline and Neck, an area where many other areas struggle.

IMG_0554.jpg

Top Bottom