What's new

Observations of a newbie after DE shaving for 6 months

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share some basic observations that I've had in the past 6 months since I've started DE shaving. If you're also a newbie feel free to comment and add in your thoughts as well.

1) The learning curve wasn't that bad. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I was already wet-shaving with disposable cartridges instead of electric razors.

2) Shaving used to be a chore... but not anymore :c9:, I quite enjoy the process now.

3) So many different blades... I've officially gone through all my samplers and tried them all. For those interested in which ones I had they will be listed at the bottom by the asterisk *. I've noticed that I tend to prefer platinum / chrome covered ones. I'm not sure if this is a common "effect", but I feel that these blades tend to not "pull" the hair, but "cut" it straight away, leaving me with much less irritation. There is one significant outlier though... Ladas super stainless... not sure why :confused1

4) I've been solely using Proraso white shave cream products, but I'm not satisfied. So now in my journey I will be experimenting with different brands to see what works the best. And I might try other Proraso (red / green), as it seems people tend to prefer them to white.

Anyway, that's about it for now.

*Merkur super platinum, BIC chrome platinum, Ladas, Shark super chrome, Shark super stainless, Shark platinum, Derby extra, Voskod, Gilette Platinum, Rapira platinum lux, Personna platinum, Bolzano superinox inossidabile, Astra superior stainless, Derby premium, Wilkison sword, Treet platinum, Lord platinum, and Astra superior platinum.

With respect to point 1, I agree. When I started back to DE/Wet shaving, the first couple shaves were hairy until you figure out you need a lot less pressure than with a cart, which is much more forgiving.

For point 3, the platinum / chrome coating definitely equates to a smoother blade feel. That, of course, will degrade as the platinum / chrome wears off. As you cruise the forums, you'll hear that refrain quite often.

Welcome to the community!

Top Bottom