What's new

Obscure Firearms In The Safe, On-Screen

Ad Astra

The Instigator
proxy.php

Obscure firearms can still be found. I bought this Swedish Mauser and the Argentine Mauser about a month ago at a farm consignment auction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhh!

I let examples of both of those slip away. Once you reload, those rounds are under a dime each.

AA

Ahhh!

I let examples of both of those slip away. Once you reload, those rounds are under a dime each.

AA

Funny you mentioned about reloading. When I bought my first Argentine Mauser I bought the dies and was looking for brass. At that time, Norma was the only one making brass for it. While checking around I found a close out on loaded Norma rounds cheaper than unloaded brass. I bought both boxes they had. Go figure.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Funny you mentioned about reloading. When I bought my first Argentine Mauser I bought the dies and was looking for brass. At that time, Norma was the only one making brass for it. While checking around I found a close out on loaded Norma rounds cheaper than unloaded brass. I bought both boxes they had. Go figure.

Just so. Found similar when loading for 6.5x50mm Japanese (Arisaka).

Norma is $$$. Though now, there's PPU unfired brass; much cheaper.

Still wish I had a Swedish 6.5.

AA

Just so. Found similar when loading for 6.5x50mm Japanese (Arisaka).

Norma is $$$. Though now, there's PPU unfired brass; much cheaper.

Still wish I had a Swedish 6.5.

AA

This is my second Swedish Mauser. Nice thing about them is many are like new. The pictured one was made in 1909. Looks as if it may have had a few, but not many, rounds fired from it. My other one was made in 1919. I really don’t think it has ever been fired. It shows no wear at all.

My Dad had a Gyro-Jet pistol and I remember it being the wizz bang set piece courtesy of Q in "You only live twice".

View attachment 1172538

it currently resides with my little brother.
Just saw one of these for sale last week for $2400 Canadian Rupees, was the first time I'd ever heard of one. Turns out they made carbines as well. Who doesn't want a rocket gun? Unfortunately it seems ammo is all but impossible to find for these nowadays, but a very neat curio piece regardless.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Just saw one of these for sale last week for $2400 Canadian Rupees, was the first time I'd ever heard of one. Turns out they made carbines as well. Who doesn't want a rocket gun? Unfortunately it seems ammo is all but impossible to find for these nowadays, but a very neat curio piece regardless.
I would have loved to had shot Dad's pistol. I've read that it was an odd sensation shooting them as they had "reverse" recoil. Pulling the trigger drove the hammer back against the nose of the projectile driving the round back onto a fixed firing pin that ignited the rocket motor. The hammer held it there as the rocket motor spooled up. As thrust increased it started moving and pushed the hammer forward re cocking it and giving the sensation of the pistol being pulled forward.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would have loved to had shot Dad's pistol. I've read that it was an odd sensation shooting them as they had "reverse" recoil. Pulling the trigger drove the hammer back against the nose of the projectile driving the round back onto a fixed firing pin that ignited the rocket motor. The hammer held it there as the rocket motor spooled up. As thrust increased it started moving and pushed the hammer forward re cocking it and giving the sensation of the pistol being pulled forward.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Haha, that's great, I watched both the Forgotten Weapons(hands down my favorite youtube channel) videos on those guns after seeing the one for sale to see how they operated. There is another cool video on the TAOFLEDERMAUS Youtube channel that has some footage of them shooting a few of the cartridges and capturing it with a high speed camera, it was pretty cool to see the little thrusters burning and imparting the spin on the projectile.

4C6C0296-A304-420F-B2E9-E81F9AC77CBD.jpeg

Friend of mine showed up with this having no idea what it was (Webley & Scott Baby .25 caliber). Says it does not work. Quick assessment shows it’s pretty clean inside, no obvious signs of damage or abuse. Disassembles kind of like a Walther PPK.
No idea how to go any further than field stripping; not going to try either.
Value is hard to determine. Maybe $500-$700. My recommendation to her is to try and sell it to a collector somewhere and buy a J-frame as she was/is planning to use this as a self defense weapon. I think not.
Cool little pistol though.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I still kick myself for not buying one when I had the chance.
Clinton’s 1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, which among other things, limited mag capacity to 10-rds, eventually weighed-in on HK’s decision to scrap M13 production in 2000 ... i.e., no longer able to import M13s (except for Military & LEOs) the M13 market dried up. Knowing that Clinton’s Act was set-up to ‘sunset’ in 2004, I spiked a NIB post-1994 LEO/Military M13 a year before & paid a $100 over MSRP a few days after the act expired.

Part of the reason for the current going-rate for P7-series pistols & especially the M13, whose demise preceded the cessation of P7M8 & M10 production by eight years, was the New Jersey State Police’s (2008) decision to destroy their inventory of 3,200-plus (retired) M8s & 13s, instead of releasing them for the civilian sale ... 3,200 additional squeeze-cockers would have really softened P7 values.

All the above meaningless drivel spelled out, some 16-years later & the M13 remains unfired, which is a testament to what, IMO, is the perfect range/carry piece, the P7 & the P7M8.

I have owned quite a few HK P7's both the PSP and the US M8. I had 5 at one point.
I have seen it used in 2 films: Die Hard (Alan Rickman uses an M-13), and a pair make in on screen appearance in Angelina Jolie's oven safe safe in Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but they don't get used.

Another thing: HK Developed a few prototype M7's in .45ACP, and wanted to feature them in Miami Vice, but they were too complex to machine to put into production. I have seen 2 of the prototypes when I worked in the retail side of firearms when I lived in Northern VA. We had a very good customer who was an adjunct instructor for HK, and I got a tour of the HK 'Grey Room' at the headquarters when it was in Sterling VA. Lots of cool stuff in the Grey Room, like transparent G36, various cutaways of many of their guns, anti-aircraft setups with dual M21s and so on..

Oh, and in the episode of Calderone's Return (season 1, episode 4, with the famous IPSC shooter Jim Zubiena as the hitman who wacks a drug dealer with a SPAS, and then takes out a cop with a Mozambique), Sonny uses a '70's/early '80's black handle Super Speed to shave during the opening when he is getting ready to go to court (to finalize his divorce) from a stake out.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Another thing: HK Developed a few prototype M7's in .45ACP ... but they were too complex to machine to put into production...
Oberndorf produced a total of 7 stainless steel M7 prototypes, one of which mysteriously(?) disappeared ... last I read, it was rumored to be in the possession of some well-heeled collector in Hawaii??

My understanding as to why the M7 never went into production is three-fold:

Historically, HK developement & production were fueled by Military & LE demand & contracts. No such demand existed for a 7-round .45ACP squeeze-cocker.

Because of its’ chambering, research concluded that any market for the M7 would, by & large, be limited to Stateside civilians & at a projected production cost of $2,000 per pistol, that market would be an extremely limited one.

Lastly, though the .45ACP is a relatively low-pressure round, due to the M7’s light, low-profile slide, HK had difficulties harnessing the harsh(er) recoiling .45ACP round. Even the inclusion of a hydraulic buffer (á la, the P7K3) failed to render satisfactory results ... years later, HK introduced the P7M10 which, though it succesfully tamed the warm .40S&W, did so via a slide inspired by none other than Frankenstein 😉
[ALL kidding aside, the M10 is an excellent & extremely accurate pistol]

Oberndorf produced a total of 7 stainless steel M7 prototypes, one of which mysteriously(?) disappeared ... last I read, it was rumored to be in the possession of some well-heeled collector in Hawaii??

My understanding as to why the M7 never went into production is three-fold:

Historically, HK developement & production were fueled by Military & LE demand & contracts. No such demand existed for a 7-round .45ACP squeeze-cocker.

Because of its’ chambering, research concluded that any market for the M7 would, by & large, be limited to Stateside civilians & at a projected production cost of $2,000 per pistol, that market would be an extremely limited one.

Lastly, though the .45ACP is a relatively low-pressure round, due to the M7’s light, low-profile slide, HK had difficulties harnessing the harsh(er) recoiling .45ACP round. Even the inclusion of a hydraulic buffer (á la, the P7K3) failed to render satisfactory results ... years later, HK introduced the P7M10 which, though it succesfully tamed the warm .40S&W, did so via a slide inspired by none other than Frankenstein 😉
[ALL kidding aside, the M10 is an excellent & extremely accurate pistol]

Not the first time I've heard the rumor that a guy in HI had one.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One of my long-ago school buddies had a H&K P7; I ragged on him for its ugly and dumb design.

:eek2: Wonder if he sold it recently?

AA

proxy.php

Obscure firearms can still be found. I bought this Swedish Mauser and the Argentine Mauser about a month ago at a farm consignment auction.

Thought that one on the left looked like a Swede when I saw a later reply. I have several of those, including one made for them by Mauser Obendorf in 1900. All of the serial numbered parts on it match, and it has a two digit serial number.
I also have one with an attractive elm stock.

The other military rifles I admire and shoot a lot are the Swiss straight pulls, the 1911 Schmidt Rubin and the K 31 rifles.

Top Bottom