What's new

Obscure Firearms In The Safe, On-Screen

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
It’s like seeing close friends when not one, but two somewhat obscure firearms sitting in your safe make it to the big screen.

Last night, while oiling some WW2 stocks, I had Live By Night, a Prohibition-era mob film playing on the TV.

Glancing up to watch this hold-up scene, I saw what I believed to be a CZ-27 & then thought, “Nah, there’s no way”.

Towards the end of the movie, following a Tommy gun-filled shootout, I saw this mobster reach for what looked to be a Mauser 1934 (could have been a 1914, I suppose) ... and sure enough, after rewinding a few frames, there on the floor sits this Model 34.

This morning, I did a firearms used (in that movie) search & while there was no mention of a Mauser 34, pictured in the article (& below) was the CZ-27.

One would expect to see Colt 1903s, 1911s, Offical Police, etc., handguns in mob movies, but never a Mauser 34 or CZ-27.

Screen shot of the Mauser 34

CZ-27 screen shot from this morning’s firearms-Live By Night search

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting.

I know Battlestar Galactica (the new one) used at least one CZ-52, in the mechanical hands of a Cylon.

"The gun was probably chosen for the futuristic 'rocketeer' shape and because it is extremely inexpensive as a military surplus collectible. Interestingly this gun is very reliable, extremely accurate and is about as effective at penetrating armor as the FN Five SeveN, which costs about ten times as much."

AA

shoelessjoe

I know Battlestar Galactica (the new one) used at least one CZ-52, in the mechanical hands of a Cylon.
"The gun was probably chosen for the futuristic 'rocketeer' shape and because it is extremely inexpensive as a military surplus collectible. Interestingly this gun is very reliable, extremely accurate and is about as effective at penetrating armor as the FN Five SeveN, which costs about ten times as much."
I’m with you on the CZ-52/7.62 Tok thing ... I do enjoy mine. It looks like something Ming The Merciless would have worn on the hip, had it been around in his day - yes, it’s like Art Deco & Art Moderne hooked up & named their child, CZ-52.

You want some entertainment? Just go to an Eastern Bloc forum/sub-forum and start a, Why The CZ-52 Is Better Than The Tokarev (or, vice-versa) thread! 😆

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I’m with you on the CZ-52/7.62 Tok thing ... I do enjoy mine. It looks like something Ming The Merciless would have worn on the hip, had it been around in his day - yes, it’s like Art Deco & Art Moderne hooked up & named their child, CZ-52.

You want some entertainment? Just go to an Eastern Bloc forum/sub-forum and start a, Why The CZ-52 Is Better Than The Tokarev (or, vice-versa) thread! 😆

I do have a tricked-out one; Harrington hardened rollers, new firing pin, melted edges etc.

Should shoot it more, since those Rom spam cans were ... what. 1,172 rounds?

The Commie Auto-Mag!

AA

shoelessjoe

I do have a tricked-out one; Harrington hardened rollers, new firing pin, melted edges etc.

Should shoot it more, since those Rom spam cans were ... what. 1,172 rounds?

The Commie Auto-Mag!
AA

Commie Auto-Mag :biggrin1:

I also went Harrington with the rollers, firing pin & FP spring ... decided against replacing the extractor, opting instead to file that small groove as pictured on their replacements. Eventually, I’ll break down & purchase one of their rather pricey extractors.

That Romanian surplus is hot stuff, no? Before I began reloading 7.62 x 25, I alternated between PPU & Fiocchi, the latter which was noteably warmer!

After someday replacing that extractor, I’d like to order a pair of these Marschals (w/a red shellac finish):
https://www.marschalgrips.com/grip-models/pictures/cz/52/CZ MOD 52 Ash Deep-Red Checkered CZ logo.jpg
1603394858952.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Commie Auto-Mag :biggrin1:

I also went Harrington with the rollers, firing pin & FP spring ... decided against replacing the extractor, opting instead to file that small groove as pictured on their replacements. Eventually, I’ll break down & purchase one of their rather pricey extractors.

That Romanian surplus is hot stuff, no? Before I began reloading 7.62 x 25, I alternated between PPU & Fiocchi, the latter which was noteably warmer!

After someday replacing that extractor, I’d like to order a pair of these Marschals (w/a red shellac finish):
https://www.marschalgrips.com/grip-models/pictures/cz/52/CZ MOD 52 Ash Deep-Red Checkered CZ logo.jpgView attachment 1172220

Those are gorgeous! I want!

I just took off the stock grips and sprayed them with textured black bedliner. It melted in/has worked perfectly!

Forgot to mention the custom slide stop on mine...

Romanian works fine in both pistols, but there's some old Yugo (Czech?) x25 that will get stuck in the CZ. Typically I remove the CZs barrel the night before and make sure there are no long/sticky rounds. The rejects shoot perfectly in the Tok!

One day I'll finish shooting THAT lot. Of course, that was back when it was like a nickle a round; worth a bit of trouble.

I have the dies, but haven't reloaded x25 Tok yet. Meant to get some 30-cal sabots, and push some 22 rifle bullets to insane velocities (3,000fps?) out of it.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The C&R golden era was about 10-15 years ago, but a lot of us vacuumed up guns then! $129 K31s, and cheaper Mosins. Beauty K98s, $219?

AA

When I started wet shaving in 2010, you could find a like new Gillette Fat Boy for not too much money. Then everybody wanted them and they became very hard to find. Now, you can find them easier again, but when you do, they are gonna cost you, because their value is better known.

older firearms are like this. I kick myself everyday, asking myself the question, why didn't I care enough to have interest, back in the late 80's early 90's and try to acquire certain firearms when they were much more affordable.

Browning High Power
Colt Woodsman
Colt Single Action Army
Classic Colt M1911
Walther P38
Walther PPK
Remington Model 1875
S&W Model 39
S&W K22
S&W Model 29
S&W Model 10
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Security Six

Winchester Model 70 Pre 64'
Winchester model 94 pre 64'
Winchester Model 21
Winchester Model 12
Winchester model 52 Sporter
Springfield Model 1903
Remington Nylon 66
Mauser Model 98
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Savage Model 99
Parker Double
Ithaca Model 37
Belgium Browning Auto 5 (sweet sixteen)

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I wouldn't turn down if they were given to me. :)

When I started wet shaving in 2010, you could find a like new Gillette Fat Boy for not too much money. Then everybody wanted them and they became very hard to find. Now, you can find them easier again, but when you do, they are gonna cost you, because their value is better known.

older firearms are like this. I kick myself everyday, asking myself the question, why didn't I care enough to have interest, back in the late 80's early 90's and try to acquire certain firearms when they were much more affordable.

Browning High Power
Colt Woodsman
Colt Single Action Army
Classic Colt M1911
Walther P38
Walther PPK
Remington Model 1875
S&W Model 39
S&W K22
S&W Model 29
S&W Model 10
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Security Six

Winchester Model 21
Winchester Model 12
Springfield Model 1903
Remington Nylon 66
Mauser Model 98
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Savage Model 99
Parker Double
Ithaca Model 37

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I wouldn't turn down if they were given to me. :)
I recall about 25 years ago, someone found a huge cache of unissued Russian SKSs still wrapped in paper and covered in cosmo. At every gun show you’d see hundreds of these mint condition unfired SKSs selling for $100. I had one, AND I SOLD IT FOR 400 MEASLY DOLLARS. They’re going for over a thousand now. And it was a sweet shooter, too, with a gorgeous laminate stock. I can’t tell you how much I miss that rifle. 😔 I kick myself every day for selling that.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The C&R golden era was about 10-15 years ago, but a lot of us vacuumed up guns then! $129 K31s, and cheaper Mosins. Beauty K98s, $219?

AA
There is an ever changing golden era when it comes to C&R. Right now it is the 1950s to 1970 innovating handguns and rifles. The really nice Punta Smiths as an example.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Browning High Power
Colt Woodsman
Colt Single Action Army
Classic Colt M1911
Walther P38
Walther PPK
Remington Model 1875
S&W Model 39
S&W K22
S&W Model 29
S&W Model 10
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Security Six

Winchester Model 21
Winchester Model 12
Springfield Model 1903
Remington Nylon 66
Mauser Model 98
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
Savage Model 99
Parker Double
Ithaca Model 37

A stellar list! Don't disagree with any!

At this point I'm not acquiring any, but have been fortunate over the years to shoot many of those.

AA

Interesting.

AA

I remember the CZ52 in BG and the rare Makarov. They used the South African Vektor pistol quite a bit too. IIRC the CZ52 was typically used by criminals but the Vektor was a Colonial sidearm. As they look somewhat similar that made sense. The CZ52 may have been an earlier Colonial weapon now out in the black market. In any case I appreciated that the production team sought out less common weapons and when BG was on, most did not know what they were looking at. (BG has been on the rewatch list awhile. Just finished Firefly, may put that one in the box now.)

AA

My big misses when containers were overflowing were these; oh how I kick myself for not buying them. All were available then.

It's not completely out of the question that a M28-57 could still pop up but the others are gone -

SSG-82

proxy.php

Biathlon M28-57

Finnish M-N M28-57.jpg

FR-F1

fr-f1.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I recall about 25 years ago, someone found a huge cache of unissued Russian SKSs still wrapped in paper and covered in cosmo. At every gun show you’d see hundreds of these mint condition unfired SKSs selling for $100. I had one, AND I SOLD IT FOR 400 MEASLY DOLLARS. They’re going for over a thousand now. And it was a sweet shooter, too, with a gorgeous laminate stock. I can’t tell you how much I miss that rifle. 😔 I kick myself every day for selling that.

I can remember in the mid 80's, going into a local Army Surplus store looking for cheap 9mm ammo to shoot. The store would have whole wooden crates of surplus SKS's stacked up on the floor, selling them at $150 a crate! Believe it or not!

Top Bottom