What's new

NYC Bans Smoking in Parks and at Beaches

It's official, in less than 90 days the no smoking in New York City parks law takes effect. No smoking in any city park or beach, including on the boardwalks. You can smoke on the perimeter sidewalks and in "parking lots", not clear how smoking in a moving vehicle on a park drive will be handled. You can still smoke in the National Parks within the City.

Interesting that it specifically mentions that NYPD will not enforce this law.

Tom

Thanks for the Heads up Tom, the nanny state is florishing with Bloomberg at the helm.:mad3:

I bet we can still sneak a cigar whilst surf fishing tho. :thumbup1:

It's official, in less than 90 days the no smoking in New York City parks law takes effect. No smoking in any city park or beach, including on the boardwalks. You can smoke on the perimeter sidewalks and in "parking lots", not clear how smoking in a moving vehicle on a park drive will be handled. You can still smoke in the National Parks within the City.

Tom

The parks department officers will enforce it. Thats going to be a disaster.

I dont smoke either but this is all about the city making money from the summonses. If the City of NY really cared about you they would fill in some of the potholes that are an embarrassment. I have driven all over the country and in several other countries and I have never seen roads as bad as the ones in NY and NJ.

I think that this law has as much to do with the litter of cigarette butts everywhere as it does for the usual health reasons. A beach littered with cigarette butts is no fun to lay on.

I used to work for the city and can tell you from experience when they do things like this its all about making $. Cigarette buts have been on the streets and beaches way before I came around and I cant see them starting to worry about it now but they found a way to make money out of it.

Isn't this the same guy that wanted to stop salt & runny eggs? If it was really about health or sanitation, they could easily take some of the $3000+ in tax they collect each year from every heavy cigarette smoker and buy some ash trays, or set aside some space.

This is democracy at work. A plain & simple tyranny by the majority. What happened to no taxation without representation? I won't ever vote for anyone that doesn't smoke in public. And admit to inhaling. And certainly not for a reformed smoker turned health nut. Nut being the operative word.

There's still plenty of time to ban smoking on sidewalks. I can't wait.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes down if the NYPD isn't going to enforce it.

Can you imagine going up to some guy and telling him, "Sir, you're going to have to either put your cigarette out or leave the park." There are some sketchy dudes smoking cigarettes in NYC parks. I wouldn't go out of my way to stop them unless I had some sort of recognized power (such as the NYPD) behind me.

Hmmm....a special division of the Anti-Smoking Patrol must be on the lookout then. ASP's will happen by and smack that cigarette right out of your mouth. Should you dare to light up again, you'll be carted away to the funny farm.

Hmm. Banning after shave, now smoking in open places too? Is this some knee-jerk reaction to a string of spontaneous human combustion cases?

I dont smoke either but this is all about the city making money from the summonses. If the City of NY really cared about you they would fill in some of the potholes that are an embarrassment. I have driven all over the country and in several other countries and I have never seen roads as bad as the ones in NY and NJ.

You've obviously never been to Chicago...:tongue_sm

Lovely. More government intrusion ...

When the private sector or persons build their own recreational areas, they can decide the rules for them.

I'm all for Liberalism and one's right to decide for oneself, but I also believe that smoking needs to be fought at every step. The smoking ban has been so great in my country, I truly applaud it.

EDIT
I'm not trying to start an argument, as I hardly realise the situation in NYC (compared to where I live etc). But this is public responsibility too. If individuals were able to keep the park clean by not littering, throwing cigarette butts around and all that stuff, this law wouldn't be there.

We have a law against drinking alcohol in public, in public parks as well. But in Summer time, the police don't bother anyone who take it easy and enjoy a couple of cans/bottles. If you get rowdy or loud though, they'll come fine you.

Just don't forget that the public has a responsibility too. It's not always about the crazy government trying to shackle the little man.

Last edited:
It's an unenforceable law. I advise peaceful noncompliance as always. No anger, no foul language, and certainly no violence either explicit or implied. Always treat your fellow with respect and behave well and those who oppose you will look a fool every time.

Last edited:
When the private sector or persons build their own recreational areas, they can decide the rules for them.

I'm all for Liberalism and one's right to decide for oneself, but I also believe that smoking needs to be fought at every step. The smoking ban has been so great in my country, I truly applaud it.

EDIT
I'm not trying to start an argument, as I hardly realise the situation in NYC (compared to where I live etc). But this is public responsibility too. If individuals were able to keep the park clean by not littering, throwing cigarette butts around and all that stuff, this law wouldn't be there.

We have a law against drinking alcohol in public, in public parks as well. But in Summer time, the police don't bother anyone who take it easy and enjoy a couple of cans/bottles. If you get rowdy or loud though, they'll come fine you.

Just don't forget that the public has a responsibility too. It's not always about the crazy government trying to shackle the little man.

NYC and other cities have already decided the rules for private property owners. No smoking in bars, restaurants, private businesses and who knows where else. Boston is shutting down cigar bars. As a former smoker, little makes me happier than to be able to go days without breathing it.

The problem is that government isn't interested in helping people quit smoking. It is interested in revenue. Government is interested in its expansion into every nook and cranny of our lives.

I'd rather breath some smoke on occasion than have Bloomberg (and any other jumped up politician) telling us what we can do where.

Top Bottom