What's new

Noxzema is your friend. No seriously.

For anyone who is even considering this stuff based on the previous posts...DO IT.

I just had the smoothest shave ever with the following set up:

slim adjustable/feather/semogue brush/arko/noxzema prep after shower.

The reason I know noxzema was the difference maker is because my lather with arko today wasn't that great. In general I don't use a very thick lather, unless I'm going against the grain with a feather.

I had a 2 day growth. Visibly dark and very rough. Last time I shaved was Tuesday evening. The two areas which always tug and pull a bit are under my lip and my chin. I just can't seem to get that to work even when I rub the soap into it with my fingers. So this would be a test.

That definitely didn't happen this time. Someone was quoted as saying they didn't even feel the blade going through the hairs. That is definitely true. Not only that, but I only had to perform 2 passes today, plus touch ups. This kind of prep made it really easy for the angle and blade to do their magic. The prep did all of the work for me on this one.

On the down side, I realized today that I can definitely go against the grain with a feather, just not on my chin. Largest weeper I've ever had. (Still doesn't hurt at all, didn't feel it due to sharpness of blade, which is amazing considering how much this would have hurt had I been using a cart).

For 4 dollars per 12 oz container...I would definitely do it if you are considering it!!

I'm interested. Are you saying use noxzema wash pre shave then lather as usual?

Yep. I applied it all over before first pass. Left it on, didn't wash it off. Lathered arko on top and just started shaving. I applied after pass 2 but honestly didn't feel like I needed to.

I agree. I am a newbie ( only 2 shaves ) but the 2nd one I used noxema and it was so much different than the first one in a good way . I used shave oil on the first and it was ok but I didnt see all the hype. Using Noxema lived up to the hype in my opinion. Applied it and lathered over it . Like butter. Best 4.00 ever spent. I saw someone asked and yes it comes in 3 different kinds.

Enjoy the journey: I'll be waiting for you on the straight razor forum. It's all about finding your Nirvana

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/393631-Noxema-I-Think-I-Love-You?highlight=noxzema+I+think+I+love+You

Noxema - the wonder stuff! For a real treat, try rubbing in a very small dab of Noxema after your final rinse. It will light you up!

This morning i used it while prepping my
Lather (well dressed man) and it did help my neck.
I don't see myself reapplying as the soap and lather will surfice.....but a little extra protection helped my neck

I used it the first few months. Now that my face is accustomed to the DE shave I just lather up. Noxema is really good stuff, especially for beginners.

It does help a shave, but for me it had two drawbacks:

The razor doesn't rinse clean.
It never completely rinses off the face. It leaves a facial shine obviously caused by some residual ingredient.

It does make a good base layer for building a lather.

Don

I was down with noxzema for awhile, but really hated the ammonia smell it gave to my lather then i first applied it. I have since moved on to cornhuskers skin food and am getting similar results with no smell. I would be interested to hear if anyone else notices this same thing.

Maybe it's a function of "skin chemistry." I've never had the ammonia smell...with Cella, VDH Deluxe, or Williams. Also, it (Noxzema) rinses off cleanly for me.

Truly a case of YMMV...:001_huh:

NOTE: my pre-shave involves applying a hot moist towel to my face which has a light application (not slathered) of Noxzema...when I remove the towel, there's just a trace (barely visible) of Noxzema.

Tried it, loved it...but, as was mentioned above, hard to rinse off the razor. Perhaps I should tone down the amount used. I will try it this morning.

I've used it daily this week as a pre-shave and it does make an improvement for me. Surprising great actually. I haven't noticed an ammonia smell. I've kept to a thin layer.

Top Bottom