What's new

Now I understand.

Mike C. glad to see that you stepped up and took the plunge into the world of soaps. I used VDH deluxe for a long time, after finding that the Williams Mug soap available at the drugstore took a lot of work, for marginal results. VDH on the other hand, easily makes a very effective lather.

Now that you've been reading B&B for a few weeks, you can see that on the whole, we are passionate about our soaps and creams. The nice thing about the VDH puck, aside from the cost, is that you use it as a shave stick, by directly rubbing the puck on your wet beard and then building the lather directly on your face. Aside from removing the mug from the equation, face lathering more effectively works the lather into your whiskers.

Congratulations on moving up to shave soap, Enjoy!

Now that you've been reading B&B for a few weeks, you can see that on the whole, we are passionate about our soaps and creams. The nice thing about the VDH puck, aside from the cost, is that you use it as a shave stick, by directly rubbing the puck on your wet beard and then building the lather directly on your face. Aside from removing the mug from the equation, face lathering more effectively works the lather into your whiskers.

Hi Bob... actually I think I'm doing a modified face lather. I've always shaved in the shower so I need the mug to hold the puck. I load a little bit of the soap on my brush and then build the lather on my face. It works great!

Yup, that's face lathering.

It's really amazing that almost every shave soap or cream that you try now will be so much better than the canned goo.

Now I understand.
Just keep in mind that you can't evaluate something without actually trying it.

For those that have tried the Art of Shaving soap, can you tell me if there's a significant enough difference to cause me to spend $30 bucks on a AOS soap puck.
Simply trying it doesn't mean that the person's preference matches your own. Any soap has fans and detractors as soaps don't all perform the same for everyone. Again, you have to try the options and evaluate for yourself. I like AoS. It's not my favorite but it's one that I would buy if my more preferred options were not available. YMMV.

No sense of smell? What a shame.

In your case I would definitely recommend Arko and Tabac- they are two terrific soaps but opinions are divided on their scents.

^^ this. Tabac is a polarizing scent. Some love it, some hate it. But nobody can argue with its performance. I'd also recommend Stirling Soaps and Strop Shoppe soaps (the ones with Tallow). Although their scents are divine, they also perform very well. The Strop Shoppe is reasonably priced $10-$15, and the Stirling soaps are a downright incredible bargain at $5-$6 per puck. I would argue to my grave that there is not a single soap puck that performs at the same price as Stirling**

For a croap I'd recommend Castle Forbes. Again, divine scents, but also great performance. Some people think the price is a bit high at $38 a tub, but it is so damn concentrated that it last longer than anything else I have ever used. If you were to calculate the cost per shave, I think you'd fine it's not as expensive when compared to other products.

Also , if you're willing to try creams, The Gentlemans Refinery make a great cream (including unscented). I've never fallen in love with any of their scents, but their performance is top notch for a cream.

**i'm taking price per ounce, acknowledging there are some great shave sticks out there that perform very admirably for just a few bucks

Congratulations on "getting it". I'm in the hoarding stage with soap atm. To tell you the truth, you might have an advantage with your lack of smell. There's soaps and cream that people say are great except the smell doesn't agree with them. Good luck not going bankrupt. :lol:

Top Bottom