What's new

Not so thrifty thrift shops

I've been hitting up thrift shops more lately looking for shaving related gear and because money is very tight for me at the moment. The half dozen "thrift" shops in my area are pretty expensive. They are cheap on things like cups, mugs, glasses, plates and knick-knacks but things like furniture, electronics, men's clothes and shoes are insane especially considering the condition the stuff is in and the no returns/"as is" policy the stores have in place. I saw a pair of no name brand men sneakers in the same poor shape as the shoes I'm looking to replace(holes starting in the soles) and the store was asking 25 bucks for them. I don't think those shoes sold for more than 30 when they were new. I thought they were over pricing for haggle room but two of the places won't haggle on prices at all and the places that do won't drop less than a few dollars to five bucks on their crazy posted price. It seems like womens /childrens items are cheaper but still high priced for used goods. I'm not talking about "like new" or hardly used goods either. Is this only a trend in my area or are all thrift stores going in this direction? I also noticed there are a lot more thrift shops around than 10 years ago especially down in the upper class shopping district around the Main Line. I havn't checked the Main Line shops yet since I'm still a bit shocked at the prices in the low rent thrift stores. Its not a bargain when its only a few bucks more to buy the item new. I am tight with money but I don't think I'm unreasonable.

I've been noticing that the thrift stores in my area think really highly of the junk they are selling.

I've been looking for a coffee table. Saw a decent one that needed to be refinished at the Habitat Re-Store. They wanted $60. I went down to a local used furniture store where the owner sells furniture she refinishes and consigns as well. They had an awesome table for the exact same price, that needed no work. The choice was obvious.

Like any product search, you just have to be diligent. Good price information is your friend. There are deals out there, it just takes a while to find them.

I'm going to try some new thrift stores a few more weeks then I'm going to look at flea markets and yard sales instead. The thrift shops I've been to are a little too uppity for me considering the quality of the goods being offered. The church and charity run stores used to like to move the merchandise fast since it was donated for free anyway but even those were acting like they didn't want to sell anything. I did get some really good deals on some stoneware pieces that I liked. I'm also on the look out for these blue speckled mugs that people could get from Marlboro for the Marlboro Miles.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Marlboro-Unlimited-Speckles-Coffee/dp/B00P71KXKO

My absolute favorite mug. I had 2 of them and one recently got broken. I'd like to own 6 or 8 of them if I can find them in good shape.

There seems to be a certain point where a "thrift store" filled with old (and sometimes great) junk turns into a "vintage" store, and then the price jumps up big time.

I get my best deals, and find some of the best stuff, at The Salvation Army. The treasure is mixed right in with the trash, so you really have to look, but the prices are low. (And I mean Bill Blass coat for $7 low, Old Spice mug for 45 cents low, dresser for $12 low...)

I asked the owner of the consignement furniture shop where she gets her pieces to fix up. She said mostly flea markets and yard sales. The thrift shops seem to value their crap they got donated (for free) too highly to be able to resell at a price people will pay for.

I needed a toaster oven to post cure acrylic castings. Goodwill no longer handles appliances, ARC ditto. Habitat does, wanted $40 for a greasy, dented, nasty one. Was walking through the grocery store and they had Black & Decker ovens for $28.00. Works just fine for me. I have not found any shaving type stuff in any around here..

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As mentioned, many "thrift stores" have become "vintage shops." When a pile of hipsters want to spend $30 on a pair of holey sneakers, why not sell at that price?

Top Bottom